Exercise and Fitness - Olympic spirit!

baxus

2 hours ago, Greywolf2375 said:

Been taking a an Olympic lifting class 3x a week, finally hit a clean and jerk PR at 240lbs.  Snatch still is horrendous, but being able to have the focus each week has helped a lot to figure out what the problems have been.

Wow!  Super impressive!  The C&J is probably my #1 favorite exercise, and it's the one thing I miss about lifting weights at the gym.

Took a 6am class this morning and will be doing another class this afternoon.  Feel like I'm getting in the groove and am excited about taking a bunch of classes over the weekend.

I think my heels are feeling better. But I don't want to push it so I am going to wait at least another week to venture out on a run, which will be exactly 2 months since I last ran. Assuming everything continues to be normal, I'll be running by this time next week. I can't wait!

I've bounced back from a terrible week.  Too much work and too little sleep meant I got no exercise since my swim on Monday.  But Friday evening I finally got home from work at a reasonable hour and HR the gym for a session of bench press, etc.  It went great: I added a rep on all of my heaviest sets.  Then Saturday I did squats, dead lifts, etc.  Another good session. 

I'm hoping I can fit in something on Sunday too before I travel for most of the week.  

I went to a Hash House Harrier meeting today. It was an absolute blast, way more fun than just pounding the pavement on my own. We did just over seven miles but psychologically it felt like half that. Schedule permitting, I think I'll definitely be making this a regular thing.

I'm about to play tennis tonight for the first time since... 2012 I guess, since I severed my knee cruciate ligament and was scheduled for surgery. Tennis was always one of my true passions, I played since I was a kid, and for the last ten years before the injury I was very active in the amateur challenger league. Last week I finally decided to re-join the league and tonight I play my first match. I'm really excited. I just wonder how to include tennis into my running training regimen. Last night I did 11k in a bit above the hour.

Last night was shoulder press and pull-ups.  I had stiff everything, very little time and was sluggish after a heavy dinner so I skipped lay raises and arms.  Still good to get a workout in again before travel resumed and I lifted well.  Also got to the driving range on Sarurday and Sunday for fun -- my wife got some golf clubs too and wanted to try them.  

Now traveling though Tuesday night.  Will hopefully do something Wednesday evening. 

I had an information revelation: muscle stiffness on the second day after a workout has nothing to do with lactic acid, which flushes from your muscles after just a few minutes.  Apparently, DOMS (delayed onset muscle stiffness) is a reaction to the micro tears in the muscle fibers and we don't know the biological mechanism that makes the soreness and stiffness peak at 48-72 hours.  It's like I had still believed in Newtonian gravity. 

Yesterday I came back from my vacation in Lisbon. I had a blast, LOVED everything about the city, would definitely recommend it to everyone. A lot of art and history to be witnessed, a lot of great food to be tasted and a lot of friendly people to meet.

Anyway, back on topic... We won't count walking around the city all day long as exercise, so the only exercise I had during the past two weeks is surfing on Monday. It was the first time I ever had a chance to try it and I loved it. It's probably the most fun I've had exercising in the last few years. Now I must plan my future vacations so that I can catch a surf lesson whenever I can. :D My traps and forearms are a bit sore from it, but it's not that bad and it was definitely worth it.

Oh how I envy people who get the chance to do it on a regular basis. :( 

Huh, since I run regularly, I didn't expect my first tennis match in four years to be particularly challenging physically, and it wasn't - after nearly two hours of play I felt fresh as a bird. But judging by how my body ached the next morning (especially butt and lower back for some reason), playing tennis is completely not the same as running though, with all those dozens of short sprints and bends and sharp changes of direction and all. But it felt great to be back on court. And I even managed to win.

Come to think of it, my lower back hurts probably because of my racket bag, which made me feel it during cycling to the club and back (almost 30 km both ways). I'll probably settle for the car next time.

I run for almost 1,5 years now, regularly every two days since February, I finished six organised public 10k races, and I still haven't ever run more than 12 km in one go. I'm going to change it on Saturday, since I'm curious for how long exactly I can run, not bothering with the pace. I would be disappointed if I didn't make at least 20 km.

Been doing pretty well since last Thursday.  Took 2 classes that day, rest on Friday, two classes on Saturday, two classes on Sunday, rest Monday (where I bowled a 229, 266, & 255 for a 750 series!), and took two classes yesterday.  Planning on taking a flow class tonight, rest tomorrow, a flow class on Friday, and hit up a couple classes each on Saturday & Sunday again.  Really starting to enjoy the new fall/winter schedule, though I can't seem to get the weight down to what it was 4 months ago despite doing really well w/ my diet.

1 hour ago, 3CityApache said:

I run for almost 1,5 years now, regularly every two days since February, I finished six organised public 10k races, and I still haven't ever run more than 12 km in one go. I'm going to change it on Saturday, since I'm curious for how long exactly I can run, not bothering with the pace. I would be disappointed if I didn't make at least 20 km.

I wouldn't recommend such a move.

You could make it to 20km, it's not that huge a stretch if you ran 12km recently. The thing is that if you do that, you will probably have a crappy couple of days afterwards. One year I ran a half-marathon with the longest distance ran in preparation being 10-12km and I felt sleepy and hungry for 2-3 days after that. It doesn't sound that bad, but your eyes closing two hours after you got out of bed is extremely annoying. And don't get me started on having a pit in your stomach for 2-3 days straight.

15 hours ago, baxus said:

One year I ran a half-marathon with the longest distance ran in preparation being 10-12km and I felt sleepy and hungry for 2-3 days after that. 

Hmm, I think the difference is that when you run a race, you give everything you have, unlike during training. I'm not going to push the limits, I just want to run a longer distance than usual (10-11 km), but with a deliberately slower pace. But thanks for the advice anyway, always appreciate feedback from more experienced runners, even though I have one under my own roof.

No chance to exercise last night so I got up early this morning to hit the gym.  To inject some variety,0 I did bench press, leg press and cable rows.  All good but too sluggish at the end -- with only a banana for breakfast beforehand -- to do arms or core too.  It's a long time since I did leg press, and I need to do a lot more reps per set than squats, but I got my quads burning. 

Is it counterproductive to do chest and legs at the same time?  I've heard before that combining disparate major muscle groups is pointless, but there's a lot of bro science and apocrypha around weight lifting. 

Today was shoulder press, pull downs, etc.  A good session despite some tiredness.  More sleep needed but my weekends are just busier lately. 

Desserts have crept back into our evenings, mainly through my wife.  She keeps ordering dessert delivery from some restaurant late in the evening -- crazy expensive and unhealthy. I've told her to exclude me from future orders no matter what I say at the time. 

I thought I might start running again today, but my heels have been flaring up the past week, so...no. Ugh. I have a physical coming up in October so I may just wait and if they're still bothering me see what the doctor recommends. In the meantime new insoles and trying to stretch and massage and be patient...

So I did run 21.1 km yesterday after all. It was a bit too warm to feel comfortable, but all in all it was surprisingly ok. I didn't press on the pace, so it took me 2:07:07 to run my first half-marathon, even if only a training one. I misjudged the route I planned, so I had to circle the block at the end to achieve exactly 21.1 km. I was pretty tired, sure, but nothing overwhelming. But anyway I still prefer shorter distances. And no sore muscles today, which is cool.

Archived