US Politics returns: the post-Election thread

mormont

2 minutes ago, Squab said:

I'll take that as a yes.  I think there is a thread for that.

Sorry, I'm confused - are you saying there's a thread for all your clever puns and whatnot? Ooh, where is that? That's gotta be comedy gold! Like the Clinton News Network, which has to be super biased at all times, right! Oh man. So funny!

I mean, seriously - it's so funny because it's not like you're pointing out the biases or any issue or anything, you're just saying bam, right there, that everything CNN does is for Clinton! And wow, is that funny. WOW. WOW. 

And then you're even saying that Breitbart has factual stuff and asking us not to discount that, even though they're Breitfart! Woo. That's funny. Wow. SO FUNNY. 

12 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

We already have it for Fox. It's called Fixed News. I think for Breitbart the automatic go to for me would be Brainfart. But some people might not like the bodily function aspect of it, so I will leave it to others to come up with a better one. 

Trumpbart? Trump-et? It's quite obvious that's what it will become now with Bannon in the top administration. I like Brainfart better though.

3 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Sorry, I'm confused - are you saying there's a thread for all your clever puns and whatnot? Ooh, where is that? That's gotta be comedy gold! Like the Clinton News Network, which has to be super biased at all times, right! Oh man. So funny!

I mean, seriously - it's so funny because it's not like you're pointing out the biases or any issue or anything, you're just saying bam, right there, that everything CNN does is for Clinton! And wow, is that funny. WOW. WOW. 

And then you're even saying that Breitbart has factual stuff and asking us not to discount that, even though they're Breitfart! Woo. That's funny. Wow. SO FUNNY. 

But wait, CNN had Corey Lewandowski on their payroll WHILE he was on Trump's payroll as well. Hm, wasn't it CNN that gave about $3bn in free coverage to Trump? Doesn't that throw a tiny wrench into the logic of the joke?

Aw, fuck it - too good of a joke to waste. Clinton News Network indeed! I'm back on-board.

4 minutes ago, Squab said:

Funnier than "Clinton News Network" is the response. Touchy subject apparently

What? But it's SO FUNNY. Clinton News Network! Man, it's amazing you came up with that! It's super funny! You should spread it around - I bet lots of people have never even thought of it. 

FUNNY.

5 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Question for those better at knowing these things: a die hard Trumper who I know is countering the argument of the million plus popular votes for Clinton over Trump by arguing that there is a great number of overseas absentee ballots that won't be counted because it isn't necessary...but those votes would counter and Hillary popular vote leads...

I guess the question is this: do they not count those? And more than a million votes from overseas...?

Well that's just absolute bullshit.  Ask them to show you where in the law that they do not count every vote regardless.  Then tell them to report those people to fvap, because they are breaking the law.

https://www.fvap.gov/vao/vag/appendix/faq

Have you heard of the Suck It Up, Buttercup bill, being proposed by Iowa state Rep. Bobby Kaufman, to target anti-Trump protests, especially on campuses? Canadian news program As It Happens called him to ask about the bill. He talked with them briefly, then hung up on them when they asked about where a professor said they'll bring in a mini pony for upset students to hug.

BK: Well, I believe the national conversation needs to take place with both sides coming to the table. Right now you've got the protestor side that want nothing to do with the people that won and you've got the people that won wanting nothing to do with the protestors. Let's be honest, and this isn't a criticism, this is more of an America thing, readership and interest from media really doesn't come from bland statements. So I've said something, that yes I understand it's something that people find a little bit offensive. But the impetus for my bill is that I believe that there are a lot of universities that are coddling a certain per cent of the population of college students. I'm not talking about mental services or victim services — none of that is anything I'm talking about. I'm talking about specific expenditures that are being spent by universities across this country specifically to coddle people that cannot handle the election results.

CO: Sorry — just a minute — who are the buttercups that need to suck it up?

BK: Well that would be people that are simply hysterical because an election was lost. That have never understood that life has winners and losers and in their adult life there are going to be times when they have wins and they have losses and there isn't always going to be someone there to coddle them.
CO: And where have you seen the coddling on campuses?

BK: I'm not ready to point fingers on specifics but I think we've all seen the reports across the entire country. We've seen them live on reports from reputable media sources. I have people reaching out to me from different states saying, hey, my kid, at this particular college today, the professor was actively discussing the possibility of bringing in a pony — a miniature pony so that people could use it to feel better about the election.

CO: Can I ask you where did that happen? Where was the discussion about bringing a pony to school?

BK: My job is to be finding this out. I'm not prepared to name names right now. I'm doing an investigation.

CO: I'm not asking you to name names — just where did it happen?

BK: Okay… [hangs up]

You can listen to the call in the link.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-wednesday-edition-1.3853526/suck-it-up-buttercup-lawmaker-hangs-up-on-as-it-happens-1.3853530

2 hours ago, Swordfish said:

Sadly, I suspect a lot of people actually believe this to be true.

Sadly, a lot of people have convinced themselves that a lot of people think this is true in order to justify siding with racists.  

Sadly, a lot of people who believe this to be true, are upset because its hurts their feeling to get called on their racist bullshit.

2 hours ago, Rippounet said:

I think the fallacy here is to deny that words, especially when spoken by someone with influence, can create a specific atmosphere that in turn leads to actions.

This is true for a president-elect who deliberately used language belittling minorities, thus creating an atmosphere in which people who are more extreme than he is will actually move on to actions (i.e. hate crimes).

This is also true for a leader who threatens to use nuclear weapons, thus prompting the other side to actively prepare for such a possibility. The atmosphere becomes dangerous in itself, making mishaps possible.
Of course, deterrence is a very complex issue. But basically, in order to avoid any accidental launches, it's best that nations have a "no first-use" policy. Leaders who threaten to use nuclear weapons offensively create an atmosphere in which a mishap could lead to escalation.

So while it is true that actions matter more than words, words have a significant impact on the range of actions that may occur.

This isn't about having a "thin skin." It's about what becomes acceptable.

Exactly.  For example, if @ummester thought words had no power to shape action then why does he keep calling the minority of voters a "vast majority".  Methinks he is comforting himself, and excusing his hokum with an ad populum argument.

Senate Democrats settle on leadership team, Sanders elevated
Sen. Patty Murray was named assistant leader, avoiding a fight for the No. 2 job.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/senate-democrats-settle-on-leadership-team-sanders-elevated-231481

Obama defends democracy, if not Trump
In Athens, the professor-president delivered a dizzying civics lesson during his last major speech on the world stage.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/obama-in-athens-democracy-trump-231473

Archived