Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sweetsunray

Nominations and Ranking Thread 2016 (with results)

Recommended Posts

I voted in each category @sweetsunray It was easy and painless.   I did run across 2 topics I didn't remember or read the 1st time around.  Like @Seams it doesn't take much to give them a look and decide where they fit in the scheme of things.  You have this set up in a user friendly manner and it all makes sense to me.  Thanks for that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't put in my vote yet. Going through each thread again per category or subcategory, and keeping my ranking in notepad.

I do give credit to the work someone put in the OP, but the thread (OP and responses) I put on top make my brain tingle, or compels me to make notes. I also take into account how much I'm motivated to read the rest of the thread (even if I have to put further reading aside for the moment).

But I can perfectly imagine it might be completely different for other posters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put my ranking votes in. And I can see that while a few categories have someone clearly in the lead or show consistent voting (for now - less than 10 voters have voted so far), some categories are a neck on neck race, for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. :)

Thank you for all those who have voted so far!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@sweetsunray just a small thing about the main post, I think I would move the voting link to the top. The way it reads now, on a quick scan, it seems as though one could confuse the line about nominations are closed to read as voting is closed. Sorry. I know this is a nitpick and one to garner a <_< at me.

Adding this here from the OP to keep the link going in the thread:

SURVEY LINK: https://nl.surveymonkey.com/r/FJ2MLLV

In the above link you can rank the nominated threads in the order of preference, from most favourite (1) to less. I chose to use a ranking method, because several categories appear to be tough ones to make a one choice only. The survey was designed so that the nominated threads are randomly listed per voter and thus the order in which I entered the nominated threads in each category to create the survey has no influence. Only in the category swords no ranking is required, nor is the order randomized, as there are only two nominations. 

You can vote until 22/1/2017. I will close the polls on 23/1/2017. This should allow enough time to read up on the threads you haven't read yet.

I thank you for entering your nominations, for voting and a Happy New Year!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

I put my ranking votes in. And I can see that while a few categories have someone clearly in the lead or show consistent voting (for now - less than 10 voters have voted so far), some categories are a neck on neck race, for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. :)

Thank you for all those who have voted so far!

Thanks for setting it up! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

I finished it. 

It was really interesting and  it actually reminded me a lot of theories that I have forgotten.

:cheers:

3 hours ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

Thanks for setting it up! 

 

1 hour ago, Dya of Oldstones said:

Thanks for putting this together. I do a lot more lurking than posting lately, and some of my favorites are there.

Glad you enjoyed.

It's a bit of a learning process, where I will take things in consideration for say next year with regards the categorizing process. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2017 at 11:21 PM, sweetsunray said:

I put my ranking votes in. And I can see that while a few categories have someone clearly in the lead or show consistent voting (for now - less than 10 voters have voted so far), some categories are a neck on neck race, for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. :)

Thank you for all those who have voted so far!

Finally got back to my pc instead of phone, and took the survey. Some of those decisions were pretty tough, and I would have voted 2 or even 3 way ties on some of them. I got nitpicky about just what reason I liked a particular thread or theory, and then making a decision on what I thought was "better. "

Thanks again for having these, and I have to admit I had more fun refreshing my memory on some of these than the actual voting...b/c decisions, decisions. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4-1-2017 at 7:32 PM, Dya of Oldstones said:

Finally got back to my pc instead of phone, and took the survey. Some of those decisions were pretty tough, and I would have voted 2 or even 3 way ties on some of them. I got nitpicky about just what reason I liked a particular thread or theory, and then making a decision on what I thought was "better. "

Thanks again for having these, and I have to admit I had more fun refreshing my memory on some of these than the actual voting...b/c decisions, decisions. :P

Yeah, some threads are pretty much close together in enjoyability and what you enjoy about it is so personal. And the real tough decision imo is deciding what quality of the thread you value the most. So, thank you for making the decisions, decisions :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 8:52 PM, Curled Finger said:

Thank you for the vote of confidence.   We had a lot of fun in our Dead or Somewhat Dead conversation.  

2016 has been a slow year for really ground breaking stuff.   Back in '14 there was so much really meaty topic matter to chew on.   As we get farther away from ADWD it becomes more difficult to find new topics to discuss or really analyze.   That's not saying there haven't been some enlightening and engaging conversations this year.   It's not that at all.   There was a thread, back in March that I have recommended and supported and simply thought was fantastic.   Opened me up to all sorts of new thinking about a character I previously found sort of dull.    Anyone who reads this little post and hasn't had a chance to really enjoy @DarkSister1001's excellent Euron the Abomination thread is really missing out.    This was posted well before we got the bootleg samples of The Forsaken.    This OP was way before her time on this one.   I would like to nominate this topic for best of 2016. 

Awe, thank you so much!  I am grinning from ear-to-ear. 

 

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 10:55 AM, Sly Wren said:

Amen--that post is amazing.

Much love Sly!  Xoxo

And DUDE!  You know how much I love your Horn Threads.  :)

@sweetsunray @Curled Finger @thefattestleach Thanks for putting this together.  Y'all rock!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I returned to my home computer two days ago, and I'm slowly working my way through the nominees, either reading each OP (and more-or-less the first page of comments) for the first time, or becoming reacquainted with an old friend. It is fun to discover which posts other people valued in 2016, and to find things I had overlooked.

I have a question about the voting mechanism: If I decide to leave a category blank, will the website allow that? Or can I vote for my favorite in a category but leave the other rankings blank?

I have come across at least one category already where I find that the nominees are equally good and I will have a hard time choosing a favorite. The slowness of my re-read process is also making me think that I might skip a category where the unifying premise doesn't light my fire.

I will keep plugging away, though. I realize we have until January 22 to cast our votes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DarkSister1001 said:

Awe, thank you so much!  I am grinning from ear-to-ear. 

 

Much love Sly!  Xoxo

And DUDE!  You know how much I love your Horn Threads.  :)

@sweetsunray @Curled Finger @thefattestleach Thanks for putting this together.  Y'all rock!

You should be.   Your topic was an awesome read.   We don't see enough of you around this joint.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DarkSister1001 said:

Awe, thank you so much!  I am grinning from ear-to-ear. 

 

Much love Sly!  Xoxo

And DUDE!  You know how much I love your Horn Threads.  :)

@sweetsunray @Curled Finger @thefattestleach Thanks for putting this together.  Y'all rock!

No problem. That was good stuff and one of the few times a poster can make a prediction and then have it (much of it) verified by text later.

Super impressed :cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Seams said:

I returned to my home computer two days ago, and I'm slowly working my way through the nominees, either reading each OP (and more-or-less the first page of comments) for the first time, or becoming reacquainted with an old friend. It is fun to discover which posts other people valued in 2016, and to find things I had overlooked.

I have a question about the voting mechanism: If I decide to leave a category blank, will the website allow that? Or can I vote for my favorite in a category but leave the other rankings blank?

I have come across at least one category already where I find that the nominees are equally good and I will have a hard time choosing a favorite. The slowness of my re-read process is also making me think that I might skip a category where the unifying premise doesn't light my fire.

I will keep plugging away, though. I realize we have until January 22 to cast our votes.

Normally, if you go to a page and rank one thread in the category, you'll be prompted to rank the others. You can go back and forth between pages, and the website keeps a record of what you've voted on, regardless whether you completed the whole survey or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

You should be.   Your topic was an awesome read.   We don't see enough of you around this joint.   

:D  I need some new material to read (*wink, *wink @ GRRM).  That'll change.  I'm hoping to jump in over at @Feather Crystals re-read. 

15 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

No problem. That was good stuff and one of the few times a poster can make a prediction and then have it (much of it) verified by text later.

Super impressed :cheers:

So sorry I spelled your name wrong.  I was too giddy to pay attention.  Thanks for the love, love!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, DarkSister1001 said:

:D  I need some new material to read (*wink, *wink @ GRRM).  That'll change.  I'm hoping to jump in over at @Feather Crystals re-read. 

So sorry I spelled your name wrong.  I was too giddy to pay attention.  Thanks for the love, love!

Thanks for the shout out, DarkSister1001!  Would it be a bad thing to put a link here? It has nothing to do with Nominations and Ranking, but I'd sure like to create something awesome enough to make next year's list! My reread thread is promoting a new idea though, and that is that the titled chapters contain a second, inverted story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@sweetsunray would it be possible for you to edit the OP to link to all of the posts so we could better read them? I'm on mobile and it's cumbersome for example. Thanks so much.

I'm really glad you put this post together. I really enjoyed reading these. I missed a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Daendrew said:

@sweetsunray would it be possible for you to edit the OP to link to all of the posts so we could better read them? I'm on mobile and it's cumbersome for example. Thanks so much.

I'm really glad you put this post together. I really enjoyed reading these. I missed a lot.

Yes, was going to mention this as well :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×