NFL Conference Championships: where the presumed MVP is the least accomplished QB

DanteGabriel

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Refusing to shake hands after a loss I think is his worst trait. Not to say he always does that, but I think the fact that he's done it a number of times says something about his character.

It's not a good look, but it does speak to his passion for winning.  However, someone who can say 'on to _______' 50 times in a single press conference no matter what he's being asked should have enough self control for at least a weak handshake after a loss.  

Just now, Cas Stark said:

It's not a good look, but it does speak to his passion for winning.  However, someone who can say 'on to _______' 50 times in a single press conference no matter what he's being asked should have enough self control for at least a weak handshake after a loss.  

Eh, I think it suggests a childish obsession with winning. Not something to be defended or lauded in any way, shape or form. It's a weakness really. 

5 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Eh, I think it suggests a childish obsession with winning. Not something to be defended or lauded in any way, shape or form. It's a weakness really. 

I know.  Oftentimes we in New England will be so angry the way our 4-time Super Bowl winning coach with Eleven Conf Championship appearances is so "childishly obsessed with winning!"  Why can't he be more easy going and not so tied down to "winning and losing" like such notable coaches like John Fox and Andy Reid and anyone with the last name Shottenheimer.  

7 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

A coach who isn't obsessed with winning, isn't going to win much.  But, it is unsportsmanlike and he should shake hands with the opposing coach when he loses, no argument about that.  

Just now, Rockroi said:

I know.  Oftentimes we in New England will be so angry the way our 4-time Super Bowl winning coach with Eleven Conf Championship appearances is so "childishly obsessed with winning!"  Why can't he be more easy going and not so tied down to "winning and losing" like such notable coaches like John Fox and Andy Reid and anyone with the last name Shottenheimer.  

It's a punk move in any case. Whether it comes from the best coach of all time or a perennial doormat.

Who cares if that's how he copes with his job? It just feels like complaining for the sake of complaining. He's a coach. Some coaches are just real pricks. Some are openly that way to the media. Some hide it. Some are standoffish. Some have players who love them. Some have players who dread them. 

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

This is Shaughnessy's thing. He infamously called the Texans "tomato cans" before the letterman jacket game. If it makes you feel any better, he tries to troll the locals too. He may be the only local columnist who kept asking David Ortiz about PEDs in the last few years.

I get that. I just lifted this response to that article in a Fark thread...

"Shaughnessy is a piece of shiat, and he doesn't speak for any New England fan, past or present or future. His entire schtick is writing incredibly stupid stuff and then saying "if it bothers you then I must be doing something right". If Shaughnessy were an ice cream flavor he'd be pralines and dick."

/Pralines and Dick.

1 hour ago, Bronn Stone said:

57 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Don't like or root for any of those guys outside of maybe William Hayes as that shit is just too funny to hate on.

/God planted fossils to test our faith. Lulz.

Come on, dude. The Niners are in the state they're in because Eddie DeBartolo got caught bribing a crooked politician for gambling licenses.

As for the rest of Rock's litany, let's remember Rex Ryan introduced Trump at a rally in Buffalo. And Woody Johnson raised tens of millions for Trump and rounded up other NFL owners to contribute. But sure, Trump likes to brag about Brady and Belichick, because they have a track record that he dreams he has. He tries to associate himself with winners. It's PR to him. He bragged about being pals with Roethlisberger too. But as far as I know, he hasn't bragged about support from Rex or Woody. Hrm...

50 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

It wasn't his best moment. There are plenty of teams who haven't made it to the title game in probably decades, to carry it around like it was some random item with no meaning...could have been a little more diplomatic there.

I noticed that too. It's almost like Bill Belichick has zero fucks to give about what anyone thinks!

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

I'd be shocked if Shaughnessy was even a Pats fans. Most of the city hates him. 

He's not a fan. To be fair, that makes him a better journalist than most Boston writers. But he's a troll.

https://theringer.com/dan-shaughnessy-boston-globe-larry-bird-aa9cabc1d374#.q2unic3ll

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Refusing to shake hands after a loss I think is his worst trait. Not to say he always does that, but I think the fact that he's done it a number of times says something about his character.

I don't like the handshake thing either, but I think it's been a few years since he refused a handshake. I am pretty sure we'd have heard all the fuck about it if he had.

By the way, "pralines and dick" was a line from Wayne's World. Garth was describing Rob Lowe's smarmy scumbag.

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

LMAO.  I would have thought people would be more upset that he was holding that AFC trophy like he (a) had never seen one before, (b) thought it might be radioactive, (c) was planning to offer it on craigslist for $10 or free as soon as he could post it on snapfaceinstachatgram.  

2 hours ago, Rockroi said:

I THOUGHT THE SAME THING!  

It was like, "Jesus... this is the Golden Globes of Football Awards..."  Like he was upset it wasn't a Lacrosse Trophy.  

Have you ever seen a pro-coach more disdainful of a trophy?  Like it was carrying Captain Trips or something!  

That shit was the cherry on top of a Sunday that included the Steelers and Packers being shitdicked.

9 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Ah, nice catch. It made me laugh. 

Memory is a funny thing. As soon as I read your post, I heard that line in Dana Carvey's voice.

ETA: Apropos of nothing besides the fact that I'm watching Inside the NFL -- Brandon Marshall just said that Julian Edelman is "the modern day Steve Smith." Aside from the fact that they've been in the league together for a number of years and "modern day" is an odd way to put it, I don't think it's a crazy comparison. I don't think Edelman is quite on Smith's level but it's not that far off, and I'd never have thought to make that comparison myself.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

As for the rest of Rock's litany, let's remember Rex Ryan introduced Trump at a rally in Buffalo. And Woody Johnson raised tens of millions for Trump and rounded up other NFL owners to contribute. But sure, Trump likes to brag about Brady and Belichick, because they have a track record that he dreams he has. He tries to associate himself with winners. It's PR to him. He bragged about being pals with Roethlisberger too. But as far as I know, he hasn't bragged about support from Rex or Woody. Hrm...

Yeah and I get why Trump attaches himself to them. And I get why Republicans and blowhards like Rex Ryan are attracted to Trump. As for Brady not sure he thinks about anything larger than how to be his very best self on the football field. 

But Belichick, I don't get what Belichick gets out of this friendship. A ) He's a Democrat B ) He's built his whole career on deeds over bluster, attention to detail, not giving a shit about what people think of him, being understated in all ways and C ) he's really fucking smart, well-read, a student of history and strategy and tactics and one who appreciates other brilliant minds, both coaches and players. 

Trump is anathema to all of these things. At best I could understand Belichick pretending to tolerate him but judging by that letter he wrote, he seems to consider him a genuine friend. 

This is another thing I'd love to hear Belichick talk about off-the-record in this SnapFace expose or if pumped full of sodium penathol. 

2 hours ago, Rockroi said:

And so's Peyton Manning!  And Rex Ryan!  And lots of other people many of us root for!!

And Pete Carroll is likely a 9/11 Truther and that guy from the Rams doesn't believe Dinosaurs exist.

And Jay Cutler and his wife don't vax their kids.

Seriously, this is not a glass house we should all start throwing stones in.  

All those stones need throwing; all that glass needs breaking. 

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

They're all passionate about winning. They all hate losing. Being or not being a dick about it isn't really an indication of passion, but the presence or absence of class.

5 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Yeah and I get why Trump attaches himself to them. And I get why Republicans and blowhards like Rex Ryan are attracted to Trump. As for Brady not sure he thinks about anything larger than how to be his very best self on the football field. 

But Belichick, I don't get what Belichick gets out of this friendship. A ) He's a Democrat B ) He's built his whole career on deeds over bluster, attention to detail, not giving a shit about what people think of him, being understated in all ways and C ) he's really fucking smart, well-read, a student of history and strategy and tactics and one who appreciates other brilliant minds, both coaches and players. 

Trump is anathema to all of these things. At best I could understand Belichick pretending to tolerate him but judging by that letter he wrote, he seems to consider him a genuine friend. 

This is another thing I'd love to hear Belichick talk about off-the-record in this SnapFace expose or if pumped full of sodium penathol. 

I get all of this and I have no explanation. The connection fucking mystifies me too. That goddamn letter from Belichick story a few months ago kept surprising me. At first I thought there was no way it was really a letter from Belichick. I was wrong. Then I thought there was no way Belichick was okay with Trump publicizing it. Wrong again.

Maybe it's just that these rich and famous people really exist in a separate world from us.

So yeah, maybe if I ever get a wish granted to get an honest answer on something from Belichick, it wouldn't be about football, but just a what-the-fuck about his pal Donald.

9 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

That goddamn letter from Belichick story a few months ago kept surprising me. At first I thought there was no way it was really a letter from Belichick. I was wrong. Then I thought there was no way Belichick was okay with Trump publicizing it. Wrong again.

Of all the hundreds of shocking things about this election, the way that unfolded was still top 10 for me. 

23 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

I'd guess it's an opposites attract sort of thing. The guy is just so brash and inappropriate that I imagine that sort of personality would be entertaining to hangout with, at least casually. I have friends like that. Ones that will invariably embarrass the hell out of you at times, but are so much fun you just kind of roll with it. 

Archived