Arya will become Queen

TyrionTLannister

24 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

I think that too much weight gets placed on small details and lines. Absolutely some of it is foreshadowing, some of it is not. I haven't seen anything in Arya's story (her growth, her thoughts, etc) that point to being a queen part of her future. She is a ball of fury, vengeance and survival. Jon and Dany's arcs are about leadership. Sansa is learning several lessons, all of which would serve her in a political career. I don't see any of those things in Arya's arc. So while you can pick out a few lines here and there, I don't think that outweighs the story we are being told about her. I don't know what role she will have in the future, but the most important thing is going to be about identity for her. I think (hope) she embraces her Stark self again strongly. If she becomes a queen of something, somewhere, I see it as incidental, and frankly, not likely.

I think Arya would make a great queen. She is a natural leader, as seen by her taking charge of her friends in their treks through the Riverlands. She greatly empathizes with the smallfolk and understands their plight, and would be beloved by them. Of all her trueborn siblings, she is the most like her father, and the one who has most absorbed the lessons he espoused. For example, he tells her a lord must take an interest in his men, and Arya naturally does so.

8 minutes ago, TyrionTLannister said:

Interesting. GRRM is definitely up to something there. Though I don't how you can say there's more foreshadowing for a Jon-Val romance than a Jon-Arya romance. GRRM has clearly been setting up Jon and Arya from the beginning.

I can say that because I have actually read how many foreshadowings are about Jon and Val and how many are about Jon and Arya. By *from the beginning* you mean that letter more than 20 years ago where it was told that Sansa had betrayed House Stark and had  a son with Joff.?

29 minutes ago, Protagoras said:

I feel that so-called Arya fans try to sell this end game for Arya, based on absolutely nothing, in order to give Jon a nice trophy wife who will sacrifice all her agency for him. And for once I actually feel sorry for Jon here. Can´t he get someone who he doesn´t see at his sister? Yuck! A little better I think even he deserve. 

Sacrifice all her agency? She would be one of the most powerful people in Westeros... 

13 minutes ago, TyrionTLannister said:

GRRM has clearly been setting up Jon and Arya from the beginning.

George has set up a special relationship between Jon and Arya from the beginning, but I don't see anything that suggests a sexual or matrimonial relationship. And I am talking about the books here, not the letter from 24 years ago. 

1 minute ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

I can say that because I have actually read how many foreshadowings are about Jon and Val and how many are about Jon and Arya. By *from the beginning* you mean that letter more than 20 years ago where it was told that Sansa had betrayed House Stark and had  a son with Joff.?

A few examples:

One by one Arya had chased them down and snatched them up and brought them proudly to Syrio Forel … all but this one, this one-eared black devil of a tomcat. "That's the real king of this castle right there," one of the gold cloaks had told her. "Older than sin and twice as mean. One time, the king was feasting the queen's father, and that black bastard hopped up on the table and snatched a roast quail right out of Lord Tywin's fingers. Robert laughed so hard he like to burst. You stay away from that one, child."

When she was three steps away from him, the tomcat bolted. Left, then right, he went; and right, then left, went Arya, cutting off his escape. He hissed again and tried to dart between her legs. Quick as a snake, she thought. Her hands closed around him. She hugged him to her chest, whirling and laughing aloud as his claws raked at the front of her leather jerkin. Ever so fast, she kissed him right between the eyes, and jerked her head back an instant before his claws would have found her face. The tomcat yowled and spit.

Balerion is referred to as a black bastard and the real king of the castle, just like Jon. Then Arya kisses him.

Jon and Arya's first chapters strongly parallel each other:

Suddenly he realized that the table had fallen silent, and they were all looking at him. He felt the tears begin to well behind his eyes. He pushed himself to his feet. “I must be excused,” he said with the last of his dignity. He whirled and bolted before they could see him cry. He must have drunk more wine than he had realized. His feet got tangled under him as he tried to leave, and he lurched sideways into a serving girl and sent a flagon of spiced wine crashing to the floor. Laughter boomed all around him, and Jon felt hot tears on his cheeks. Someone tried to steady him. He wrenched free of their grip and ran, half-blind, for the door. Ghost followed close at his heels, out into the night. (AGOT Jon)

Everyone was looking at her. It was too much. Sansa was too well bred to smile at her sister’s disgrace, but Jeyne was smirking on her behalf. Even Princess Myrcella looked sorry for her. Arya felt tears filling her eyes. She pushed herself out of her chair and bolted for the door... Then she whirled and made her exit, running down the steps as fast as her feet would take her... She got up and ran, the wolf coming hard at her heels. (AGOT Arya)

Dogs moved between the tables, trailing after the serving girls. One of them, a black mongrel bitch with long yellow eyes, caught a scent of the chicken... Ghost went back to his meal. Jon grinned and reached under the table to ruffle the shaggy white fur. The direwolf looked up at him, nipped gently at his hand, then went back to eating. (AGOT Jon)

Nymeria was waiting for her in the guardroom at the base of the stairs. She bounded to her feet as soon as she caught sight of Arya. Arya grinned... Nymeria nipped eagerly at her hand as Arya untied her. She had yellow eyes. When they caught the sunlight, they gleamed like two golden coins. (AGOT Arya)

They both compare themselves to their older siblings whose shadows they live in:

Benjen gave Jon a careful, measuring look. “You don’t miss much, do you, Jon? We could use a man like you on the Wall.” Jon swelled with pride. “Robb is a stronger lance than I am, but I’m the better sword, and Hullen says I sit a horse as well as anyone in the castle.” (AGOT Jon)

It wasn’t fair. Sansa had everything. Sansa was two years older; maybe by the time Arya had been born, there had been nothing left. Often it felt that way. Sansa could sew and dance and sing. She wrote poetry. She knew how to dress. She played the high harp and the bells. Worse, she was beautiful. Sansa had gotten their mother’s fine high cheekbones and the thick auburn hair of the Tullys. Arya took after their lord father. Her hair was a lusterless brown, and her face was long and solemn. Jeyne used to call her Arya Horseface, and neigh whenever she came near. It hurt that the one thing Arya could do better than her sister was ride a horse. Well, that and manage a household. Sansa had never had much of a head for figures. If she did marry Prince Joff, Arya hoped for his sake that he had a good steward. (AGOT Arya)

Even her first few mentions foreshadow it:

He would always ask her that. “In the kitchen, arguing about names for the wolf pups.” She spread her cloak on the forest floor and sat beside the pool, her back to the weirwood. She could feel the eyes watching her, but she did her best to ignore them. “Arya is already in love, and Sansa is charmed and gracious, but Rickon is not quite sure.” (AGOT Catelyn)

“You must,” he said. “Sansa must wed Joffrey, that is clear now, we must give them no grounds to suspect our devotion. And it is past time that Arya learned the ways of a southron court. In a few years she will be of an age to marry too.” - AGOT Catelyn

I suspect that GRRM actually "designed" Arya as the queen to King Jon. They might have been based on Aragorn and Arwen, who become King and Queen at the end of LOTR. Interestingly enough, Aragorn and Arwen were also cousins.

5 minutes ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

George has set up a special relationship between Jon and Arya from the beginning, but I don't see anything that suggests a sexual or matrimonial relationship. And I am talking about the books here, not the letter from 24 years ago. 

The scene where he gives her Needle has some very obvious sexual undertones.

5 minutes ago, TyrionTLannister said:

A few examples:

Yes they have a special relationship, after all Arya is Lyanna 2.0. But that doesn't mean they want to have sex and yet there are still more Val&Jon than Arya&Jon.

6 minutes ago, TyrionTLannister said:

I suspect that GRRM actually "designed" Arya as the queen to King Jon. They might have been based on Aragorn and Arwen, who become King and Queen at the end of LOTR. Interestingly enough, Aragorn and Arwen were also cousins.

You can suspect whatever you what.

5 minutes ago, TyrionTLannister said:

Obvious for you.

10 minutes ago, TyrionTLannister said:

I disagree. I just read the scene and the only sexual undertone was the description of the scabbard as soft, grey, and supple as sin. That is a stretch.

I did laugh though when I read Arya say, "It's so skinny." So thanks for that. ;)

10 minutes ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

I disagree. I just read the scene and the only sexual undertone was the description of the scabbard as soft, grey, and supple as sin. That is a stretch.

I did laugh though when I read Arya say, "It's so skinny." So thanks for that. ;)

Ha. There is more, actually. Jon compares Ygritte to Arya a few times, which is suggestive.

Jon could see fear and fire in her eyes. Blood ran down her white throat from where the point of his dirk had pricked her. One thrust and it's done, he told himself. He was so close he could smell onion on her breath. She is no older than I am. Something about her made him think of Arya, though they looked nothing at all alike. "Will you yield?" he asked, giving the dirk a half turn. And if she doesn't?

Ygritte watched and said nothing. She was older than he'd thought at first, Jon realized; maybe as old as twenty, but short for her age, bandy-legged, with a round face, small hands, and a pug nose. Her shaggy mop of red hair stuck out in all directions. She looked plump as she crouched there, but most of that was layers of fur and wool and leather. Underneath all that she could be as skinny as Arya.

Ygritte trotted beside Jon as he slowed his garron to a walk. She claimed to be three years older than him, though she stood half a foot shorter; however old she might be, the girl was a tough little thing. Stonesnake had called her a "spearwife" when they'd captured her in the Skirling Pass. She wasn't wed and her weapon of choice was a short curved bow of horn and weirwood, but "spearwife" fit her all the same. She reminded him a little of his sister Arya, though Arya was younger and probably skinnier.

"If you kill a man, and never mean t', he's just as dead," Ygritte said stubbornly. Jon had never met anyone so stubborn, except maybe for his little sister Arya. Is she still my sister? he wondered. Was she ever? He had never truly been a Stark, only Lord Eddard's motherless bastard, with no more place at Winterfell than Theon Greyjoy. And even that he'd lost. When a man of the Night's Watch said his words, he put aside his old family and joined a new one, but Jon Snow had lost those brothers too.

Or the Ygritte examples could be showing us why he fell for her. He loved Arya and was fond of her headstrong ways. Comparing Ygritte to Arya highlights that he is already forming positive associations concerning Ygritte before their relationship even begins. Also may be another reason he is unwilling to kill her. Many things can be read into the same passages.

What I really think is that we need the next book real damn quick.

Just now, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

I thought we were talking about the needle scene.

Getting back to that, "sword" can have a sexual meaning in ASOIAF. So Jon giving Arya a sword is interesting.

The scabbard was soft grey leather, supple as sin. Jon drew out the blade slowly, so she could see the deep blue sheen of the steel. "This is no toy," he told her. "Be careful you don't cut yourself. The edges are sharp enough to shave with." 

"Girls don't shave," Arya said.

"Maybe they should. Have you ever seen the septa's legs?" (AGOT Jon)

“Brandon loved his sword. He loved to hone it. ‘I want it sharp enough to shave the hair from a woman’s cunt,’ he used to say. And how he loved to use it. ‘A bloody sword is a beautiful thing,’ he told me once.” (ADWD Theon)

Note how similar the language used is. The implication is clear.

10 minutes ago, TyrionTLannister said:

Getting back to that, "sword" can have a sexual meaning in ASOIAF. So Jon giving Arya a sword is interesting.

Note how similar the language used is. The implication is clear.

Come on. Now you are just rearranging the story to suit your theory.

A sword is also a coment, a fire breathing dragon, and someone's honor.

Also, if you look at Arya's entire arc, not just picking a few lines, she becomes a servant of death at the HoBW with the Faceless Men. Whether or not she stays with them, she has been trained to literally serve death.

Another way to tell what Arya does is to say she gives the kiss of death. So her kissing the black cat and her becoming skinny as a sword when she is being trained as an assassin is NOT good foreshadowing if you are trying to create a romantic "ship" here.

And please don't ignore the authors actual words I shared with you.

The reality is, Daenerys is much more closely related to Jon from a genetic point of view, than Arya is, or Sansa for that matter. If Jon marries Daenerys, that is him marrying his aunt. That's real incest right there. Gross.

Marrying a cousin at least brings an extra level of removal between the two parties, genetically speaking. That would effectively be the aunt diluting her DNA by half, before producing your cousin, whom you then marry.

In fact, I have had a feeling of dread building up in me for some time that this would build a strong case for Jon marrying Sansa in the end, something I would loathe.

I favored the Jon-Val match up for a while simply because that is far more palatable than him marrying the mad Bride of Fire, Daenerys, but it seems the series is strongly pushing Jon towards that icky incestious matchup. One can only hope for an unexpected reprieve for him along the way.

But sadly, Val, appealing character that she may be, offers King Jon very little political benefit. None, in fact. Arya, pretty much the same. But one would think that if he reaches the point where he can marry for love - after Daenerys's death - that his options would be pretty much limitless. I guess Arya is a possibillity then, but then George would have to work one of his character development miracles, similar to how he supposedly turned Jaime into a protagonist in the eyes of some easily manipulated readers.

As for him having a child with Daenerys. Just no. One would expect that his child and heir will be with his second wife. His bride married for love. Whoever that may be.

1 minute ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Also, if you look at Arya's entire arc, not just picking a few lines, she becomes a servant of death at the HoBW with the Faceless Men. Whether or not she stays with them, she has been trained to literally serve death.

What does this have to do with her becoming Queen?

3 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

And please don't ignore the authors actual words I shared with you.

How am I ignoring them?

1 hour ago, Gertrude said:

I think that too much weight gets placed on small details and lines. Absolutely some of it is foreshadowing, some of it is not.

I'm curious what you think is or isn't foreshadowing?  

I haven't seen anything in Arya's story (her growth, her thoughts, etc) that point to being a queen part of her future. She is a ball of fury, vengeance and survival.

One of the biggest clues would be Varys' Speech. You talk of Arya's growth and experiences and we see an overlap with the things George highlights in this speech. She is more than fury and vengeance - This was what the OP meant: so much of Arya's story is overlooked and simplified. She speaks like a Lord's daughter and her identity as such has endured throughout her story. Arya is learning to be anyone, adapt and thrive in difficult situations. No lie will be safe from her - how useful will this be? She can speak multiple languages and has lived amoung fisherfolk in a port city where she is exposed to all kinds of people from all over the world. 

Returning to Westeros, having swapped places with her imposter, will have Arya playing the role she found most difficult all her life: Lady Arya Stark. It would be interesting to see the changes and growth she goes through as she flowers and in what situation she will be in. I think it will involve some time with a courtesan, a group of women Arya has betrayed a bias for. Perhaps she'll spend some time with the Black Pearl or become a mermaid with the Merling Queen?

Reminds me of Arya wearing a d

I don't know what role she will have in the future, but the most important thing is going to be about identity for her. I think (hope) she embraces her Stark self again strongly. If she becomes a queen of something, somewhere, I see it as incidental, and frankly, not likely.

I agree, identity is at Arya's core and that's where it will stay. Outwardly, Arya is learning how to change and be someone else. 

Going back to Ned's conversation with Arya:

Ned answers each of Arya's questions in an odd way as well...

~

ARYA: Can I be a king’s councillor?

NED: You will marry a King. (A Queen can be a King's Counsellor - case in point: Queen Alysanne Targaryen who her brother King Jaehaerys valued most of all.)

~

ARYA: [Can I] build castles?

NED: [You will] rule his castle. (As a Queen would - Alysanne even helped build castles which was what Arya originally wanted to do.)

~

ARYA: [Can I] become the High Septon?

NED: Your sons will be knights and princes and lords and, yes, perhaps even a High Septon. - Queen Alysanne had many children, one of whom, a girl, became a Septa. Another daughter was promised to the Faith as well but she ran away across the narrow sea. :)

~

Both Cersei and Arya didn't get it. But fate has a funny way of happening. We shall see!

Just now, TyrionTLannister said:

What does this have to do with her becoming Queen?

That is what I am confused about because what you said had nothing to do with her becoming a queen.

Just now, TyrionTLannister said:

How am I ignoring them?

Here is a transcript of the outline discussion and Jon/Arya portion of the coffee talk:

• [question about Jon/Arya]

GRRM: "Alright, you've thought about this more than I have. I mean it's simple, Jon is very fond of Arya. They were the two odd birds in the Stark family nest, here. They didn't quite fit in with the others, they look like each other, they both had the brown hair, you know, as opposed to the auburn hair of Sansa and Bran and Rickon and Robb. So there was always that closeness between them. And, you know, Arya didn't mind that Jon was a bastard, and Jon didn't mind that Arya was a tomboy, so there is that closeness there."

[question about Jon comparing his lover to his sister]

GRRM: "If he did it, uhm... I began writing these books in 1991, and, uhm, I worked on it in 91 and then I got a tv play, so I put it aside to really work on 'Doorways' tv pilot and did a tv show in 92-93. In 94 I returned to it [the books] and worked on it. You know, up till then, in my career as a writer, I'd always written the entire book before I opted for sale. That's unusual. Most writers do chapters and an outline. They write a few chapters, they outline the rest of the book, give that to the publisher and the publisher says 'oh okay, I'll take that'.

"As some of you may have noticed, those who have been paying very, very carefully attention, I'm not good with deadlines. And, uh, and I'm not good with outlines, either. I always hated outlines. So with Fevre Dream and with Armageddon Rag and with Dying of the Light and all my novels, I wrote the entire book. I didn't do chapters and outline. I sat down, I wrote a whole book, and I sent it to my agent and said 'Look, here's a whole book, and it's finished'. That way I ran into no deadline, it was finished before it even went on the market. And it worked well for me. And my initial thought was to do this the same way, but what happened, you know, was in 1994, uhm, when I returned to it and I'm working on it and I'm very enthused about it and I say 'I really wanna write these Game of Thrones books as the next part'. But I was still in hollywood and I'd just lost all this groundwork on 'Doorways', I was still in... The studios and networks still wanna work with me, so I'm getting other offers, like 'We want you to write this movie', 'we want you to do another tv pilot'. And, you know, I took a couple of them and was 'Oh god, I gotta have to put the book away again'. Cause I have no deadline [for the book]. You know, when you think Hollywood, they will give you a deadline, you know, they say 'here, son, write this movie, we want it in three months'. 

"So, I said 'look, if I wanna get back to being a novelist, I'm gonna have to sell this even though it's not finished'. So I had my 200 pages of Game of Thrones at that point, but they wanted outline. I said 'I don't do outlines. I don't know what's gonna happen, I figure it out as I go. And that's how I always did it.' No, we had to have an outline. So I wrote two pages, a two-page thing about what I thought would happen. It'll be a trilogy, it'll be three books, Game of Thrones, the Dance with Dragons, and Winds of Winter. Those were the three window titles. And, uh, it'll be three books and this'll happen, and this'll happen, and this'll happen. And I was making up shit.

"And I had thought that those two pages were long forgotten, because, of course, the books did sell. They sold in the United States and in Great Britain, both. They sold for enough money that I didn't have to take any more Hollywood games. So I was able to say 'no' around. I had a few less [?] to wind up in in 94 and 95. Once I had, I said 'no, I don't want any more movies or tv shows, I'm going to write these books now'. And I started writing the books. And in the process, I pretty much disregarded the outline. The characters took me off in entirely different directions. So, for 20 years I had forgotten that that two-page thing even existed. And then someone in my British publisher, HarperCollins, they got a new office building, uh, brand new offices, and new conference rooms, big conference rooms that they decorated with books and stuff like that. And they named the conference rooms after the writers, so one of the conference rooms [?], and they put up these plastic display cases, including the outline. The two-page outline, yes. [?], they didn't ask my permission, they just put it up. And in that two-page outline, Jon and Arya become a romantic item."

[question about the hints for Jon/Arya in the second and third book, the comparing Ygritte and Arya, which wouldn't be there if GRRM had made up the romance for the outline]

"You know, I don't think it's a reference for that [for romance]. It's a reference to a certain physical type, and  a certain indication of what Jon finds admirable. It's like someone who reminds you of, you know... Other people might be put off by this, you know, hair that looks like small rodents have been living in there. It doesn't put him off because he is used to that.""

[someone says they have 5 minutes left]

"You know, I was pretty pissed that that outline got out there. It should not have happened. Outlines and letters like that are meant only for the eyes of the editor. They shouldn't go on public display. And, uh, they also [?] my papers on [?], all my papers and correspondence. You know, I've been sending that stuff there for years, and it'd be, you know, available for future scholars or whatever, just like the papers of many other writers. Somehow, in the back of my head I was like 'yeah, 20 years after I'm dead some scholar will go in and find them'. They're going in right now!"   "    

[question if he is still going with the 1991 ending]

"Yes, I mean, I did partly joke when I said I don't know where I was going. I know the broad strokes, and I've known the broad strokes since 1991. I know who's going to be on the Iron Throne. I know who's gonna win some of the battles, I know the major characters, who's gonna die and how they're gonna die, and who's gonna get married and all that. The major characters. Of course along the way I made up a lot of minor characters, you know, I, uhm...Did I know in 1991 how Bronn, what was gonna happen to Bronn? No, I didn't even know there'd be a guy named Bronn. I was inventing him along the way when I was writing, 'Okay, he gets kidnapped. Let's see, there are a couple sellswords there, their names are Fred and Bronn'. 
    "It was actually Bronn and Chicken, and then one of them dies, I flipped a coin 'okay, who dies? Chicken dies, cause his name is stupid. Bronn is a better name, so I'll keep Bronn'. And then Bronn became quite an interesting character and plenty of these characters take on minds of their own. They push to the front till you [?] speech and you think of a cool line and you give it to Bronn because he's trying to talk, and now Bronn is somebody who says something cool. [?]. That's how characters grow on you. 
    "So a lot of the minor characters I'm still discovering along the way. But the mains-"  

[question if he knows Arya's and Jon's fates]

"Tyrion, Arya, Jon, Sansa, you know, all of the Stark kids, and the major Lannisters, yeah."

4 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

The reality is, Daenerys is much more closely related to Jon from a genetic point of view, than Arya is, or Sansa for that matter. If Jon marries Daenerys, that is him marrying his aunt. That's real incest right there. Gross.

Marrying a cousin at least brings an extra level of removal between the two parties, genetically speaking. That would effectively be the aunt diluting her DNA by half, before producing your cousin, whom you then marry.

In fact, I have had a feeling of dread building up in me for some time that this would build a strong case for Jon marrying Sansa in the end, something I would loathe.

I favored the Jon-Val match up for a while simply that is far more palatable than him marrying the mad bride of Fire, Daenerys, but it seems the series is strongly pushing Jon towards that icky incestious matchup. One can only hope for an unexpected reprieve for him along the way.

But sadly, Val, appealing character that she may be, offers King Jon very little political benefit. None, in fact. Arya, pretty much the same. But one would think that if he reaches the point where he can marry for love - after Daenerys's death - that his options would be pretty much limitless. I guess Arya is a possibillity then, but then George would have to work one of his character development miracles, similar to how he supposedly turned Jaime into a protagonist in the eyes of some easily manipulated readers.

As for him having a child with Daenerys. Just no. One would expect that his child and heir will be with his second wife. His bride married for love. Whoever that may be.

I agree that of there had to be a Disney-esque ending, then it is set up for a Jon/Dany match for political reasons. Absolutely not my favorite, and I actually think what I saw as foreshadowing for this has weakened on my re-reads, but this could still happen based solely on the fire and ice theme.

14 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Marry for love? Sorry, that's just a wishful thinking. The series heavily promotes the idea that marrying for love is a bad idea for those in position of power. Not gonna happen to King Jon. But maybe will happen with Commoner Jon. 

Archived