Football - #WengerOut

Consigliere

21 hours ago, baxus said:

Still, watching them not making anything of their domination in possession (close to 70% at times) and just waiting for that one Watford shot that ends in the back of the net was agony.

Which is something Klopp probably still reagards as learning process. And it's really not that easy, think of United under van Gaal, or bad Arsenal games. Breaking down defensive teams can be extremely tricky. And that's also what I meant with not getting that final pass in.

1 hour ago, Notone said:

Which is something Klopp probably still reagards as learning process. And it's really not that easy, think of United under van Gaal, or bad Arsenal games. Breaking down defensive teams can be extremely tricky. And that's also what I meant with not getting that final pass in.

When a manager doesn't sign a striker in not one, but two transfer windows he sends a message that he thinks team is all set offensively. Given that Liverpool is one of the best scoring teams in the league, he does have something to back that claim up with. Still, the teams ability to adapt to any other style of play other than "run and gun" from their opponents is obvious.

55 minutes ago, baxus said:

When a manager doesn't sign a striker in not one, but two transfer windows he sends a message that he thinks team is all set offensively. Given that Liverpool is one of the best scoring teams in the league, he does have something to back that claim up with. Still, the teams ability to adapt to any other style of play other than "run and gun" from their opponents is obvious.

I expect Klopp will add a striker capable of playing in the first team, even with the highest scoring attack in the league.  Sturridge was clearly identified by FSG as their "franchise player" (such an Americanism) post-Suarez.  I doubt FSG would have countenanced last summer moving on from Sturridge, but his contribution this season finally puts paid to that.

Also, breaking down defensive teams isn't always solved by a striker -- is it Hazard/Fabregas or Costa, is it the Eriksen/Alli/Son or Kane?  Our team needs more resilience, patience and guile in tough games, needs more depth for high quality cover, and needs pace like Mane running behind.  Adding a viable striker with pace gives us that, while still allowing Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana, Mane to play other roles.  It's possible that the new striker won't be a guaranteed starter, but they need to offer more than Sturridge, Origi or Ings, and something different to Firmino.

In all likelihood though, Liverpool should finish in the top 4. However, there isn't exactly an abundance of top quality strikers about and these players are going to cost alot of money. Don't know how willing the Liverpool owners are on splashing big money on transfer fees or whether it's a case of Klopp having to sell first. Of course, if the rumours of Barca's interest in Coutinho turn out to be true, he would command a huge transfer fee and Liverpool will have the money to spend albeit at the cost of losing one of their best players.

Monaco/Juve is already far more competitive than yesterday's game. Monaco were causing Juve quite a bit of problems until Higuain scored. That away goal is huge and Monaco are in a difficult position now. Commit too many players in search of an equaliser and Juve could just pick them off on the counter.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

In all likelihood though, Liverpool should finish in the top 4. However, there isn't exactly an abundance of top quality strikers about and these players are going to cost alot of money. Don't know how willing the Liverpool owners are on splashing big money on transfer fees or whether it's a case of Klopp having to sell first. Of course, if the rumours of Barca's interest in Coutinho turn out to be true, he would command a huge transfer fee and Liverpool will have the money to spend albeit at the cost of losing one of their best players.

Liverpool without Coutinho sucks donkey balls, as we've seen against Watford. ;) 

If Barca does cough up insane amount of money I dread to see it wasted on another batch of Adams, Downings, Carrolls etc.

As you can all clearly see, this is the extremely pessimistic part of the season for me. ;)

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Shhh! You're ruining my bait!

:lol:  :cheers:

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Monaco did have their moments and in the previous matches those led to goals. However, this Juve side is far better defensively than either City or Dortmund and the old man Buffon is still world class.

Monaco would have to make some big changes if they are to score at all in Turin, let alone win by 2+ goals margin.

I just don't see Juventus conceding that many, given their defensive performances in the few games I've seen them play this season.

15 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

621 scoreless minutes for Juve... Pretty damn good. Real/Juve will be the best matchup we can ask for.

I totally agree with this. I'm a huge Juventus fan. Monaco was the draw I wanted once we got to the semis. I know they'd be tough, but I knew they'd be the most easily navigated. For the final I've been saying I want Real. Sounds crazy, as they have more fire power than Athleti and are the defending champs. The reason I want Real is that it would be a more open game. There is likely to be goals from both sides, which would make for an entertaining final, one I think Juve can win in regulation. 

If Juve got Athletico, it would be a very closed and defensive game, a chess match if you will with both teams waiting for a mistake. That would very likely result in 0-0 through 120 minuets and a shoot out. Nobody wants that! 

22 hours ago, baxus said:

Yes, Liverpool is afterall still one of the high scoring teams in the league. And I still think a new striker isn't the solution to those offensive woes, imo the Liverpool team lacks some deep lying playmaker, somebody with a football brain this team has a lot of legs and lungs to make up for that, but it sometimes looks a bit clueless. But ok, let's get into that discussion with the missed out strikers. Which striker did Liverpool miss out on? There are not a whole lot of forwards out there that are an instant upgrade for Liverpool, and much less were available. Yes, Ibra was on the market, but he wanted to play for Mourinho/United, Higuain signed for Juve. Add to the lack of supply the lack of CL (or any European) football and Liverpool's pulling power looks not that great for the top shelf players. The supply in the winter window for top class players is nearly non-existent, because who is willing to part with one of their stars mid-season? Tbf Klopp wanted to sign Draxler in the winter, but he opted for Paris (CL football, and more or less guaranteed to play for titles).

On a general note, Klopp's transfer balance for the summer window looks really good to me.

Players in.

Hits (clear upgrade/Key players): Mane, Matip

Good signings (players who played well for the first team, but maybe not a key player): Wijnaldum

Busts: Karius (intended as starter, failed to make an impact)

Neutral: Grujic (I assume he is a signing for the future, and not a bust), Klavan (depth signing).

So let's wait who and what Liverpool wants to sign in the next window.

Should have had more than just the one goal. Celta were better in the 2nd half and we went off the boil a bit. Still a slender lead is better than a draw (as has often been the case this season, I was just waiting for the sucker punch). We should probably make a few changes for the weekend - at the very least, Bailly needs to be protected for the 2nd leg. I'd leave out Bailly, Herrera and Rashford.

16 hours ago, Notone said:

Yes, Liverpool is afterall still one of the high scoring teams in the league. And I still think a new striker isn't the solution to those offensive woes, imo the Liverpool team lacks some deep lying playmaker, somebody with a football brain this team has a lot of legs and lungs to make up for that, but it sometimes looks a bit clueless. But ok, let's get into that discussion with the missed out strikers. Which striker did Liverpool miss out on? There are not a whole lot of forwards out there that are an instant upgrade for Liverpool, and much less were available. Yes, Ibra was on the market, but he wanted to play for Mourinho/United, Higuain signed for Juve. Add to the lack of supply the lack of CL (or any European) football and Liverpool's pulling power looks not that great for the top shelf players. The supply in the winter window for top class players is nearly non-existent, because who is willing to part with one of their stars mid-season? Tbf Klopp wanted to sign Draxler in the winter, but he opted for Paris (CL football, and more or less guaranteed to play for titles).

On a general note, Klopp's transfer balance for the summer window looks really good to me.

Players in.

Hits (clear upgrade/Key players): Mane, Matip

Good signings (players who played well for the first team, but maybe not a key player): Wijnaldum

Busts: Karius (intended as starter, failed to make an impact)

Neutral: Grujic (I assume he is a signing for the future, and not a bust), Klavan (depth signing).

So let's wait who and what Liverpool wants to sign in the next window.

Usually, you need to send a massive bid to lure the top-notch striker to move. If you wait for one's contract to expire or one to make open and clear signs of wanting to change the club, it might take a while. 

If we're getting technical, Grujic is not a summer signing. He was signed in January 2016, but he remained on loan at Crvena Zvezda for the remainder of the 2015/16 season.

Other than that, I pretty much agree with your assessment of last summer signings.

Hopefully, Klopp manages to get some players in who can fit in his style of play but also give some options for when the gameplan A isn't working.

12 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I hope Rashford's knock is just that, and he's fine in a few days. If he's out longer we've got problems.

Hopefully that is the case. Mourinho doesn't seem to be too concerned about it. According to him, Rashford was carrying a little knock coming into the game and was subbed as a precaution. I don't see any further updates on Rashford today other than Mourinho's post match comment. A good sign maybe.

Archived