Westeros Experts League 2017

Jaime L

19 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

Makes perfect sense to me.
Aggressive trading in this league has generally lead to losing.
Not making aggressive trades leads to not losing. 

The amount one has to offer to make an owner in this league move, especially among those owners who've watched WJ fleece n00bs over and over again, has become so absurd that it is generally a bad strategy to initiate trades. 

Agree to disagree -- personally, I've made a few and would have made more simply because of the number of injuries and roster spots needed to fill. The arthritic nature of the league this year has made it much more difficult at times. 

Eta- Ask Jaime about how aggressive trades can work out. Trades are not inherently bad. Trades that are not shopped around are often bad.

24 minutes ago, Week said:

The real question is:

Did POTN discover time travel? He grabbed Tom Savage YESTERDAY.

Holy shit!!! Can I lose any more QBs this season?!!  I went from having Rodgers AND Watson to...

I'll tellya what's absurd this year - the damn NFL QB situation! :tantrum:

ETA: And Kaep probably still won't get a look:rolleyes:

Well lads and ladies, it looks like my path to Experts just caught a knee to the groin. My 7-1 league leading W-B team just lost Watson and Luck on the same day....

......in Eli or McCown or I guess now Savage I trust............

.........oh who am I kidding, FML..........

........Ok W-C team, you're still in it, you're 5-3, you can do it.......

.....oh wait, my best player is Hopkins?.........

.....FML.........

......I guess that's what I get for gloating about getting Watson for 3 years at $9 in Dynasty.......

*sigh*

Most of the trade offers I get are my starters for a bunch of bench players and handcuffs.  I generally have zero interest in these types of trades.  I can just pick up these types of players off the waiver wire, so why would I give up any player in a trade instead?  A few trade offers have been fair, but I'm not going to bite if I don't think it'll help my team, and most of the trades that I've been offered would have made my team a lot worse.  I'm certainly not going to accept trades just to make it more exciting for other players in the league. 

Also, I generally have little to no interest in giving up the better player in a deal in order to get two OK/mediocre players, or worse, a bunch of bench players that aren't going to even start on my team.  Since these types of trade offers are what I normally get, I end up rejecting them.

I think there are certain situations where those types of trades can make sense for people.  For example, in Westeros C, after I lost David Johnson, I was trying hard to trade away a top tier WR for a viable RB starter + an okay WR replacement.  Ironically, nobody was interested, even though I was going for the reverse of the type of deal people usually complain about.

But on the whole, can understand where you're coming from.

Here's the thing though.  You're only talking about how you evaluate the trades that are sent to you.  What about counter offers?  Or I guess more to my point - why not make some offers yourself?  Or send a PM to somebody asking to talk trade?

The answer might just be that you don't enjoy it.  And that's fine, I guess.  But it means that we are probably playing for different reasons, and looking for different things in a league.

Honestly I think it all comes down to personal style of management. As a general rule, I tend to get married to the team I drafted. Like I value those guys a little more than a comparable talent on another team, simply because I singled those guys out to begin with, On top of all that, I think some folks are just better at wheeling and dealing. I find for me to truly get what I want out of a trade, I have to involve a 3rd party. It takes some work, and I'm not always willing to put in that work. Especially when you're playing multiple leagues.

1 minute ago, Whiskeyjack said:

I think there are certain situations where those types of trades can make sense for people.  For example, in Westeros C, after I lost David Johnson, I was trying hard to trade away a top tier WR for a viable RB starter + an okay WR replacement.  Ironically, nobody was interested, even though I was going for the reverse of the type of deal people usually complain about.

But on the whole, can understand where you're coming from.

Here's the thing though.  You're only talking about how you evaluate the trades that are sent to you.  What about counter offers?  Or I guess more to my point - why not make some offers yourself?  Or send a PM to somebody asking to talk trade?

The answer might just be that you don't enjoy it.  And that's fine, I guess.  But it means that we are probably playing for different reasons, and looking for different things in a league.

I have sent counter offers where I thought it could be a win-win for both sides.  A week or two before I traded Flacco for Cobb, I was offered Cobb for Flacco, but I rejected that because I needed Flacco for a bye week filler.  The deal was OK otherwise.  I countered with Dalton for Abdullah.  Better QB for a better RB, and the way my bye weeks worked out, I could trade Dalton at any time.  Didn't work out, so after the bye week, I offered up Flacco for Cobb.

I generally only like offering up trades when I can make it a win-win.  I've looked around, and it's not easy to find those types of trades.  I had an extra QB, so I was willing to trade one of them for another WR or RB.  I don't have any depth at RB, so I can't really offer up any trades with my RBs.  And I needed all my WRs for a bunch of week 8 and 9 bye week fill ins. I'll probably try and shop a WR after this week.

5 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

When I asked an anonymous former Experts Manager what he thought about this year's action they said "This year has been no less exciting than any other, except perhaps 2016, in its own way. But regarding the Commissioner... I am capable of only love and hate. And I hate Commissioner Jaime L."

I'm your Spice, you be the life.

Anyone else think Jace got liquored up and then interviewed herself? Gives whole new meaning to "insider".

6 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Anyone else think Jace got liquored up and then interviewed herself? Gives whole new meaning to "insider".

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Barstool sports at its' finest.

I've been excited to see you guys respond to that one all day. Do you recognize that love and hate quote ME?

4 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

It sounds kinda like an MLK paraphrase or something...

Nah, it's what Ludendorff said about Erich Von Falkenhein was made commander of the German army in 1914.

"I am capable of only love and hate. And I hate General Falkenhein."

Thought you were listening to that HH dawg@?@ :P

3 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Nah, it's what Ludendorff said about Erich Von Falkenhein was made commander of the German army in 1914.

"I am capable of only love and hate. And I hate General Falkenhein."

Thought you were listening to that HH dawg@?@ :P

Oh shit. Yeah, I guess I was a bit off there. :blush:

On 11/2/2017 at 6:37 PM, Mudguard said:

Most of the trade offers I get are my starters for a bunch of bench players and handcuffs.  I generally have zero interest in these types of trades.  I can just pick up these types of players off the waiver wire, so why would I give up any player in a trade instead?  A few trade offers have been fair, but I'm not going to bite if I don't think it'll help my team, and most of the trades that I've been offered would have made my team a lot worse.  I'm certainly not going to accept trades just to make it more exciting for other players in the league. 

Also, I generally have little to no interest in giving up the better player in a deal in order to get two OK/mediocre players, or worse, a bunch of bench players that aren't going to even start on my team.  Since these types of trade offers are what I normally get, I end up rejecting them.

^^^ this 

4 minutes ago, Mya Stone said:

I'm not laughing at you, I swear. 

Thanks Mya -- appreciate it! ;)

At least this week seems to be going well otherwise -- all things considered.

Archived