Who (or what) is the Three-Eyed Crow?

Ser Maverick

1 hour ago, Faera said:

They aren't two different things -- having greensight is what allows Jojen to have his green dreams in the first place. What are these dreams if not a form of sight (in the prophetic sense)? He is not a "Greenseer" because, according to his own definition, you need to be capable of more than having the dreams:

No, they are two different things. The quote you provided is a good one, Jojen himself tells Bran he is not a greenseer, just a boy who has [green] dreams. And it may be that greenseers do have green dreams as well, even if the two we have met haven't had any that we've seen yet, but there is nothing in the text pointing to these two being the same. 

Here's the rest of the scene you quoted:

"The gods give many gifts, Bran. My sister is a hunter. It is given to her to run swiftly, and stand so still she seems to vanish. She has sharp ears, keen eyes, a steady hand with net and spear. She can breathe mud and fly through trees. I could not do these things, no more than you could. To me the gods gave the green dreams, and to you . . . you could be more than me, Bran. You are the winged wolf, and there is no saying how far and high you might fly . . . if you had someone to teach you. How can I help you master a gift I do not understand? We remember the First Men in the Neck, and the children of the forest who were their friends . . . but so much is forgotten, and so much we never knew."

And from ADwD, Bran III

“What do the trees remember?”
“The secrets of the old gods,” said Jojen Reed. Food and fire and rest had helped restore him after the ordeals of their journey, but he seemed sadder now, sullen, with a weary, haunted look about the eyes. “Truths the First Men knew, forgotten now in Winterfell … but not in the wet wild. We live closer to the green in our bogs and crannogs, and we remember. Earth and water, soil and stone, oaks and elms and willows, they were here before us all and will still remain when we are gone.”
“So will you,” said Meera. That made Bran sad. What if I don’t want to remain when you are gone? he almost asked, but he swallowed the words unspoken. He was almost a man grown, and he did not want Meera to think he was some weepy babe. “Maybe you could be greenseers too,” he said instead.
“No, Bran.” Now Meera sounded sad.
It is given to a few to drink of that green fountain whilst still in mortal flesh, to hear the whisperings of the leaves and see as the trees see, as the gods see,” said Jojen. “Most are not so blessed. The gods gave me only greendreams. My task was to get you here. My part in this is done.”

1 hour ago, Faera said:

With all that considered, I feel Bran is not a true greenseer yet but he has that potential that only comes around rarely in skinchangers. He is worth training up. Right now, he's just a boy who can warg and skin-change but he is also incredibly powerful in these skills he possesses innately and is showing promise in his training under Bloodraven as he is learning to look through the eyes of the weirwood trees. I wouldn't be surprised if seeing through the weirwoods starts to give him the green dreams.

He is, only he hasn't finished his training yet. As Bloodraven tells him, his blood makes him a greenseer. 

ADwD, Bran III

"A paste of weirwood seeds."

Something about the look of it made Bran feel ill. The red veins were only weirwood sap, he supposed, but in the torchlight they looked remarkably like blood. He dipped the spoon into the paste, then hesitated. "Will this make me a greenseer?" 

"Your blood makes you a greenseer," said Lord Brynden. "This will help awaken your gifts and wed you to the trees."

On 11/2/2017 at 0:27 AM, Macgregor of the North said:

I absolutely had to silence @Dorian Martell's son though and when he admitted defeat by replying "text too long, not replying", I knew I had him and it was time for my extended vacation from Westeros.

I seriously can't fathom why you are still debating the topic with him/her when you know, I know and they know we are all in full agreement. They only keep the argument going so you will talk to them haha. 

I was looking up news about Winds and Fire and Blood and I thought I'd stop by to see if any new posts were worth opening and I saw your two notifications. I miss discussions with you too strangely enough, you have a great handle on the books while Dorians Uncle, or Grandson.. or whatever he/she is is just in complete denial for whatever reason. That's their business though.

Wow, you're back, and still talking like you didn't run with your tail between your legs. I guess there is still fight in you. And I want to tell you how brave you are for coming back without a phalanx of mods protecting you from the words that you yourself wrote to me. I look forward to making you cower and run away again in the future. Good day sir!

On 10/29/2017 at 11:06 PM, The Fattest Leech said:

So then what do you see Brynden Rivers' role being in the books (knowing his past missions through the D&E series as well)?

If Brynden Bloodraven Rivers is not the 3EC, then who do you propose is? I am all for good speculation, as long as it makes sense within the story.

Keeping in mind that maesters all over have suppressed the idea of any magics as children's stories, and that the CotF and giants do not exist anymore, and that the Others do not exist (if they ever did, as a maesters say), how would anyone south of the wall know anything about the true north and the culture, lore, and knowledge that comes with it which includes information about greenseeing? Granted, there are a limited number of those south of the wall that know about the green magics, but they have not shown up on page yet ;)

This idea came to my attention and then I looked through all the books trying to find something that would contradict it (I didn't), and then I came here to see if anyone here had further insight or something I was missing. I don't claim to know of what GRRM is planning but I wouldn't be surprised if this ties into a big twist at the end of the series, similar to his previous works.

Just read Bran's waking. This could be a hint :) or a herring:

... the grey mists shuddered and swirled around him and ripped away like a veil, and he saw that the crow was really a woman, a serving woman with long black hair, and he knew her from somewhere...

19 minutes ago, Springwatch said:

This has been talked about in the fandom before, but I don’t know that the conversations ever went very far. It would be interesting to see what people now make of this line. 

50 minutes ago, Springwatch said:

... the grey mists shuddered and swirled around him and ripped away like a veil, and he saw that the crow was really a woman, a serving woman with long black hair, and he knew her from somewhere...

I remember that. Probably a herring but it's a nice idea if it does mean something. I can't think how the 3EC being a female would change much, though, unless it is a very specific female character.

1 hour ago, Springwatch said:

the grey mists shuddered and swirled around him and ripped away like a veil, and he saw that the crow was really a woman, a serving woman with long black hair, and he knew her from somewhere...

56 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

This has been talked about in the fandom before, but I don’t know that the conversations ever went very far. It would be interesting to see what people now make of this line. 

Ummmmmmmm, on the other hand if a person were look at the context of the chapter a person might read that when Bran woke from his comma he saw a serving woman. I'm aghast.

A Game of Thrones - Bran III     "What are you doing?" he shrieked.    The crow opened its beak and cawed at him, a shrill scream of fear, and the grey mists shuddered and swirled around him and ripped away like a veil, and he saw that the crow was really a woman, a serving woman with long black hair, and he knew her from somewhere, from Winterfell, yes, that was it, he remembered her now, and then he realized that he was in Winterfell, in a bed high in some chilly tower room, and the black-haired woman dropped a basin of water to shatter on the floor and ran down the steps, shouting, "He's awake, he's awake, he's awake."

Whatcha think fandom? You think that Lady Stark had some help taking care of the washing and cleansing of Bran's body while he was comatose?

6 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Whatcha think fandom? You think that Lady Stark had some help taking care of the washing and cleansing of Bran's body while he was comatose?

Of course not! She did it all herself but Catelyn isn't there when Bran awakes so there had to be a servant woman doing it. It all makes sense! :laugh:

44 minutes ago, Faera said:

Of course not! She did it all herself but Catelyn isn't there when Bran awakes so there had to be a servant woman doing it. It all makes sense! :laugh:

The actual words are serving woman. PC is important in this day.

As you said Cat was not at WF when Bran woke from his comma.

1 hour ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Ummmmmmmm, on the other hand if a person were look at the context of the chapter a person might read that when Bran woke from his comma he saw a serving woman. I'm aghast.

A Game of Thrones - Bran III     "What are you doing?" he shrieked.    The crow opened its beak and cawed at him, a shrill scream of fear, and the grey mists shuddered and swirled around him and ripped away like a veil, and he saw that the crow was really a woman, a serving woman with long black hair, and he knew her from somewhere, from Winterfell, yes, that was it, he remembered her now, and then he realized that he was in Winterfell, in a bed high in some chilly tower room, and the black-haired woman dropped a basin of water to shatter on the floor and ran down the steps, shouting, "He's awake, he's awake, he's awake."

Hey now, interesting can mean entertaining ;)

Personally it seems to me that the black haired woman that Bran sees is just that foggy mashup as you glide from dream to awake and alert.

10 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Hey now, interesting can mean entertaining ;)

Personally it seems to me that the black haired woman that Bran sees is just that foggy mashup as you glide from dream to awake and alert.

This. 

Archived