larrytheimp

Bakker LII: Ol' Golgotterath Blues

28 minutes ago, Fall Bass said:

make it the CGI for the sorcery really cheap and cheesy-looking. Giant ridiculous cheap CGI dragon-heads and walls for Anagogic sorcery, sparkly light beams for the Gnosis. They could save money that way and reduce some of the relentless grim-dark.

This is why I said it would look laughable...

17 hours ago, Kalbear said:

No, you're taking my statement literally directed towards you guys. I'm saying in general. Damn, I'm speaking in general here,  not to anyone in particular.

17 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Lol, no, I actually have no idea what the fuck you are talking about, but continue to be a combative dick, it seems to be your MO.

Here's an emoji for ya: :ph34r:

Don't even accuse me of being combative, when anytime I post you have a snooty remark. I'm not being combative, merely discussing. Sorry, we have different opinions on the subject and I see it a different way. 

You literally said "you guys" and "you are fairweather fans".

I get that this might not have been what you intended when you wrote it. But that's what the words say. 

29 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

You literally said "you guys" and "you are fairweather fans".

I get that this might not have been what you intended when you wrote it. But that's what the words say. 

Fair enough. Fair weather fans, yes. 

But, all comments about Amazon and LotR are in general. Anyway, it is what it is. Never read the Simillarion, bit I hope it done well.

15 hours ago, Fall Bass said:

They could save money that way and reduce some of the relentless grim-dark.

Perhaps glaringly bright effects, to contrast against the grim dark and to conceal the lack of high definition detail in the brightness. Actually, that'd fit the theme of 'Truth shines' as well! ;)

Here's a question on a different matter: Are Ciphrang supposed to be in hell? What if they are in there by mistake somehow - they are so damned that they fall beyond the comprehension of the shattered god thing and so fall outside it's eye - these inmates start to run the asylum, in other words.

2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Calling someone one condescending when they are confused as to what you are talking about is not "discussing".

It's a 'cry wolf' effect from the times you use 'Seriously?' and similar as a responce. The one time it is actual confusion it comes off as condescending again.

7 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Fair enough. Fair weather fans, yes. 

But, all comments about Amazon and LotR are in general. Anyway, it is what it is. Never read the Simillarion, bit I hope it done well.

Read the Silmarillion. It really is incredible. If you find yourself bogged down during the first two creation myth/ mythological chapters, skip ahead a bit to the part where it really takes off with Melkor ( He Who Arises in Might) and the High Elves. No way you wouldn't enjoy that. Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Battle of Unnumbered Tears. The Tale of Turin, Beren and Luthien vs The Dark Enemy, The Fall of Gondolin, the Kinslaying of the Elves, The Oath of Feanor ( 6 brothers swearing mad vengeance), it goes on and on.

That being said, the rumor is that silmarillion isn't the adaptation and instead it'll be a prequel to lotr, dealing with striders adventures as a ranger. 

3 hours ago, Callan S. said:

Perhaps glaringly bright effects, to contrast against the grim dark and to conceal the lack of high definition detail in the brightness. Actually, that'd fit the theme of 'Truth shines' as well! ;)

I'd be up for that.

I can think of another way it would be thematically appropriate for the series. Doing sorcery leaves a mark upon the world, and it's compared at one point to a child scribbling on a piece of art. So why not make it deliberately look crude and unrealistic, because that's what sorcery amounts to - a crude over-writing of the world?

Edited by Fall Bass

2 hours ago, Fall Bass said:

I'd be up for that.

I can think of another way it would be thematically appropriate for the series. Doing sorcery leaves a mark upon the world, and it's compared at one point to a child scribbling on a piece of art. So why not make it deliberately look crude and unrealistic, because that's what sorcery amounts to - a crude over-writing of the world?

I think you'd have to have some narration building up to that to establish that all it takes is crude constructs to dish out gruesome damage. Perhaps a narration while looking at a scarlet spires dragon head forming in slow motion, then gouting flame. Then it could work. But make sure it's not heavily pixelated. Smooth curves all around, even if the iconography is primitive.

What would be funny is that if you get into the latter books you end up with more budget and could spend more on Kellhus's castings, showing their higher quality than world born sorcery.

20 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Read the Silmarillion. It really is incredible. If you find yourself bogged down during the first two creation myth/ mythological chapters, skip ahead a bit to the part where it really takes off with Melkor ( He Who Arises in Might) and the High Elves. No way you wouldn't enjoy that. Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Battle of Unnumbered Tears. The Tale of Turin, Beren and Luthien vs The Dark Enemy, The Fall of Gondolin, the Kinslaying of the Elves, The Oath of Feanor ( 6 brothers swearing mad vengeance), it goes on and on.

I've got the Similllarion on my bookshelve. Xmas gift. Ill get to it one day for sure. I love Tolkien and everything I've read of his. Not shitting on the idea. Just, me, myself I like new content. But, they obviously feel their gonna strike it huge with this. I just don't know. 

6 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Is that part of anything Tolkien wrote? Or, just some notes and things type of deal?

It's nothing that Tolkien wrote at all. As far as I know this would be basically Shadows of Mordor fanfic level stuff.

I would absolutely cut against the grim dark of the series and design the color and look like Kurosawa's Ran. Bright primary colors everywhere to indicate different factions.  Open air colorful tents/walls for all the council-of-war etc so you can shoot basically anywhere because it hides the modern-contaminated backgrounds, only need establishing shots. 

Saturation, vibrance, murder, mayhem and massacres. goes well together. also worked for Bruce Lee and Tarantino, respectively.

Striders adventures as a ranger prior to the books events "Oh no, Striders in danger - will he survive this one?"

If only there was a book where the main character actually fails...

33 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

It's nothing that Tolkien wrote at all. As far as I know this would be basically Shadows of Mordor fanfic level stuff.

Huh. Now see, that's why I would much look forward to a different new series being done. Lets just assume Bakker doesn't exist. I've always thought Lawrence and Abercrombie to be the 1st two Authors that are made for TV or film. I just don't get throwing 250 mil at LotR for rights, then doing fanfic?!?$? That's absolutely insane to me. Id much, much rather see the Simillarion, or stuff based off his notes.

Edited by Michael Seswatha Jordan

9 minutes ago, Callan S. said:

Striders adventures as a ranger prior to the books events "Oh no, Striders in danger - will he survive this one?"

Tell me about it. That bit of info, confuses me infinitely more. 

Edited by Michael Seswatha Jordan

10 minutes ago, Callan S. said:

Game of Thrones?