NFL Offseason '18: Our American Cousins

Rhom

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It’s like nobody read my world class breakdown of this trade. The Colts literally cannot lose it. Every scenario is great for them so long as they player they get isn’t a bust. The Jets, on the other hand, are in an odd spot. If they’re good with any of the top four QBs, this trade makes almost no sense unless they feared two teams would move up ahead of them. If they’re good with any of the top three Qbs then you can justify the trade. But if they wanted either Allen or Darnold, and they go 1 and 2 respectively, the Jets screwed themselves. And that’s not an unrealistic scenario.  

Or if they wanted Barkley the whole time?

McCagnan and Bowles need to win now, Barkley immediately makes them a relevant offense.

But yes, it's far more likely that they either know who Cleveland and Giants are taking or they have three guys they're ready to go all in with.

Remember, it's not beyond the pale to consider that the first five picks could be QB's.

I don't think that will happen, but it's not hard to see it happening if you're the Jets at 6.

The Colts trade out, then the Brown trade out of 4 and the Broncos take a QB? That could (still) happen, which would either kill the value of 6 or make it explode like nothing in recent memory.

So if you like 3, and you know you can get one, it's good.

And the Jets had to move to wrongfoot Buffalo, who were moving their way up the board with an ungodly amount of picks.

I think the move was so fucking genius that I believe without doubt that the Jets only understand half of what they accomplished in playing the Colts' dreams of even more picks into an advantageous trade.

Seriously, the Jets just traded hope of picks for a pick.

Forget the 2's, nobody gives a fuck about the 2's. It's all 'bout them 1's baby. And the Jets kept all of theirs while the Colts are hunting for more. It's fucking brilliant.

2 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Yeah, this was not a fleecing. The Jets move up 3 spots, leapfrogging a QB needy team and a team that might have traded the pick to a QB needy team in the process, only losing some 2's? That's a good deal right there.

Most teams have to sell next years' 1 to get a shot at their QB, the Jets have managed to get a shot at their guy (not convinced they go QB) without crippling their ability to support him.

Sure, 2nds are valuable. But you can take missing on 2's, which means you can take trading them.

ETA: The trade is fine for the Colts too. I think it's a win-win. If the Jets get their QB they might want then they 'won' the trade. If the Colts get a top-3 player at 6 or trade back again then they 'won' too.

Ironically, I think the biggest winner of this trade is the Browns, as the first three picks are likely to be QBs, which essentially means the fourth pick is like another number one.  :lol:

44 minutes ago, briantw said:

Ironically, I think the biggest winner of this trade is the Browns, as the first three picks are likely to be QBs, which essentially means the fourth pick is like another number one.  :lol:

Negative, it forces their hand with the first pick. And if the Giants don’t take a QB or trade, they could lose the guy they wanted to get with the other pick.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Negative, it forces their hand with the first pick. And if the Giants don’t take a QB or trade, they could lose the guy they wanted to get with the other pick.

They were always going to take a QB with the first pick.  You don't wait until the fourth pick and risk not getting your guy.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

They were always going to take a QB with the first pick.  You don't wait until the fourth pick and risk not getting your guy.

I think the problem is “their guy” might not be in this draft. There’s a quantity of QBs, but I’m not sure about the quality. I think Rosen is the guy, but I guess being a thoughtful intellectual is a bad thing in the NFL. Regardless, the die is cast now. You’re getting a QB. Which do you want?

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think the problem is “their guy” might not be in this draft. There’s a quantity of QBs, but I’m not sure about the quality. I think Rosen is the guy, but I guess being a thoughtful intellectual is a bad thing in the NFL. Regardless, the die is cast now. You’re getting a QB. Which do you want?

Dalton.

Proven commodity for Hue.

Not going to bother quoting it, but I agree 100% with Tywin's analysis.  Though if I were Cleveland I'd still take Barkley first overall and then whichever QB drops to 4th in that slot.  I don't think any one of Rosen, Darnold or Allen is enough of a sure thing to fret too much about losing out.

34 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Dalton.

Proven commodity for Hue.

I think Dorsey already showed he didn't really give a fuck about what Hue wants when he traded for Taylor instead of signing McCarron.  He probably assumes he'll be hiring his own coach in about nine or ten months.

17 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

Not going to bother quoting it, but I agree 100% with Tywin's analysis.  Though if I were Cleveland I'd still take Barkley first overall and then whichever QB drops to 4th in that slot.  I don't think any one of Rosen, Darnold or Allen is enough of a sure thing to fret too much about losing out.

I keep going back and forth on Barkley. The analysts say he's the best prospect by far and is as can't miss as one can be. But the Browns do have 4 picks in the top 35 spots of this draft and it's rich with RBs. I'd still probably take him and do as you say, but I find the idea of getting the guy they want (my guess is Allen, Taylor will give him time to get ready as he's the only one of the three who isn't NFL ready) and then grabbing Nelson at four intriguing. 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I keep going back and forth on Barkley. The analysts say he's the best prospect by far and is as can't miss as one can be. But the Browns do have 4 picks in the top 35 spots of this draft and it's rich with RBs. I'd still probably take him and do as you say, but I find the idea of getting the guy they want (my guess is Allen, Taylor will give him time to get ready as he's the only one of the three who isn't NFL ready) and then grabbing Nelson at four intriguing. 

Man, I really, really hope they don't draft Allen.  He just seems like another Kizer to me.  Horribly inaccurate.  I want either Rosen or Darnold, with preference toward Rosen.  

8 hours ago, Fez said:

Not really a fleecing. The Jets gave up 3 second-round picks to move up a few spots in the first round. If they end up getting a franchise quarterback who wouldn't have been available otherwise, it's absolutely worth it.

Consider how much other teams have given up to get franchise QBs, and how absolutely worth it's been for them to do so (like the Eagles, even though that required an assist from Nick Foles). The Jets provided market rate, and arguably got the better deal; considering that the Bills probably could've been convinced to give up more for the pick.

Man, I just can't agree with this. 3 second rounders to move up 3 spots in a draft with a bunch of QBs is brutal. Especially when 3 doesn't even guarantee you the QB you want.

14 minutes ago, sperry said:

Man, I just can't agree with this. 3 second rounders to move up 3 spots in a draft with a bunch of QBs is brutal. Especially when 3 doesn't even guarantee you the QB you want.

You can believe that there are 3 guys who can get you where you want to go. Even if they're ranked 1, 2, 3, with clear preferences, you can still believe that they could all get it done.

If you believe that. You move up to 3.

Zay Jones was arrested Monday night in Los Angeles and charged with felony vandalism.

In a video obtained by TMZ Sports, Jones is seen completely nude and involved in a struggle with his brother, Vikings WR Cayleb Jones. Zay was yelling, "I'm going to fight for Jesus," and was allegedly trying to jump off of a 30th floor balcony in an L.A. hotel, smashing his foot through a window. The window and area around it was covered in blood from Zay's leg/foot. He's currently being held at USC medical center, and it's unclear what exactly is his issue.

#BillsMafia

Just now, sperry said:

It's pretty clear what his issue is.  Meth/PCP or insanity.

Hey! In America it's perfectly legal to believe a dead nulligentarian wants you to fight for him against the armies of darkness.

Our Vice-President thinks a magical man in the sky with a beard speaks to him in his dreams.

Archived