NFL Offseason '18: Our American Cousins

Rhom

7 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Was gonna say I feel bad for you Washington fans, as every facet of the franchise is tainted, but then I realized we as Americans have been living that fandom as our lives for a year and a half.

You make me sick

But I'm better with the flu

You should let Jace talk Football for you

7 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Was gonna say I feel bad for you Washington fans, as every facet of the franchise is tainted, but then I realized we as Americans have been living that fandom as our lives for a year and a half.

Yes, but I watch football to get away from that.  We are the team that coined "winning off the field". 

2 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Yes, but I watch football to get away from that.  We are the team that coined "winning off the field". 

I feel for you man. I totally get it. All snark aside, the Colts have way different issues but I get it. And actually I think DG is right. I think the fucking country is depressed right now. Everything feels so dark and oppressive, the world is literally rejecting Trump and the fucking crazy weather and all the scandals.

It makes it harder to enjoy shit. It really does, I don't care how you feel about shit, there's a reason there are shootings every day and black people are getting blown up.

And it just makes you want something man. It really does. I had my heart set on McDaniels. And even after joking that he might not actually turn up it just broke my fucking spirit. I'm so sad. My team really sucks and the owner is an almost loveable buffoon and Andy got broke and the coach turned us down and its humiliating.

But I mean, they're still there. I'm real excited about the trade possibilities but what made me feel better was just focusing on the things that I do still like. I liked this Baker Mayfield character, and Alex Smith, and Case Keenum.

There are still teams and players worth celebrating for what they bring to the sport and the quality of their character. I don't know man. I like sports because it's pure expression. And I guess I just gotta say hunt the good stuff. I know it sucks, but Alex Smith is definitely a guy who deserves to have a good fan holding him down on a random fantasy forum. Jay Gruden seems like a good guy to me too, I don't know what his relation to Cousins was but if I'm honest Cousins sounds like a fucking bore.

Hang in there bud. That's all I've got to say.:grouphug:

I thought the 6th pick and the 2nd rounder would be worth more than the 12th and 22nd based on the convoluted way these picks are valued.  So while the Jets have less capital, if they give up the 1st and 2nd they should be able to move higher than the Bills.  Or am I wrong?

13 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

There are still teams and players worth celebrating for what they bring to the sport and the quality of their character. I don't know man. I like sports because it's pure expression. And I guess I just gotta say hunt the good stuff. I know it sucks, but Alex Smith is definitely a guy who deserves to have a good fan holding him down on a random fantasy forum. Jay Gruden seems like a good guy to me too, I don't know what his relation to Cousins was but if I'm honest Cousins sounds like a fucking bore.

Hang in there bud. That's all I've got to say.:grouphug:

I'm not giving up on football.  I still enjoy the NFL a great deal, immorality and all. 

I am just no longer willing to have my Sundays ruined by rooting for an incompetent, loathsome franchise year after year.  I'm tired of defending the indefensible and ignoring the obvious reality in front of my face. 

Since I became a serious fan of the team in middle school, they have never even sniffed the Super Bowl, and if anything, these problems are getting worse.  We drafted what should have been two top 10(ish) quarterbacks in the 2012 draft, and instead we ruined one and banished the other.  Some teams have bad luck, but we manufacture it by the truckload. 

3 minutes ago, grozeng said:

I thought the 6th pick and the 2nd rounder would be worth more than the 12th and 22nd based on the convoluted way these picks are valued.  So while the Jets have less capital, if they give up the 1st and 2nd they should be able to move higher than the Bills.  Or am I wrong?

Eh, it depends on whether you use the old Parcells (or was it Johnson?) board to measure the value of picks. And that's in a vacuum anyway. If you think that the draft only has 3 cant-miss players (Barkley, Nelson, Chubb) and you don't think 2 of those are at positions worth a top ten pick then the 6th doesn't really hold all that much more value than the 12 because if those guys fall out of the top 10 there's no question about taking them as great value and you have a second first round pick to go after another top-15 talent that will likely fall due to the rush for QB's.

Remember that the draft is always wonky. There's going to be up to 6 QB's off the board early, probably a reach for a pass rusher after Chubb (8), someone's going to take a WR, (9).

So there's 9 players that you can reasonably assume will be off the board within the top twenty. I don't think anyone would argue that against me. So if your heart isn't set on a QB, a WR, or a game-changing DE then you know that your board moves up basically 9 slots. At the cost of what? Chubb? Ok, you give up the chance at one top-3 consensus talent but in return you get a shot at two of your top 15 talents. And there'd be more on top of that in either a #1 next year or a couple of 2's and 3's.

It's a matter of preference.

37 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

The opposite of love is not hate, but indifference.  Like you, I've taken a step back from my Redskins fandom, for similar, but slightly different reasons.  I have become convinced that this team is rotten to the core.  It isn't a matter of "wait until next year", because we all know what is going to happen next year, and every next year.  They will never win anything.  No amount of patience will change that. 

Rotten to the core is right.

It's why I've gotten more into the Wizards the last few years who at least come by their ability to disappoint honestly. 

4 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Exactly. The similarities are glaring. All we need to make the analogy perfect is if half of Skins fans were like "actually it's good now that the organization loses all the time and is staffed by terrible human beings".

1 minute ago, Jaime L said:

It's why I've gotten more into the Wizards the last few years who at least come by their ability to disappoint honestly. 

They do indeed.  You can see why they don't win, and it's because the NBA is very unfair, and thus even mid-market teams like DC need a small miracle to be real contenders. 

Exactly. The similarities are glaring. All we need to make the analogy perfect is if half of Skins fans were like "actually it's good now that the organization loses all the time and is staffed by terrible human beings".

Well, there are definitely a segment of Redskins fans that:

- Think that WaPo is out to get them and wants the team to fail. 

- Think that RG3 was the person most to blame for the failure of the RG3 experience.

- Think that Kirk Cousins is a bum who doesn't win and good riddance, we just need to bring in a winner. 

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

You’re not wrong, but what makes this situation unique is that the Browns have two top five picks. How often has that happened? Given that there is no obvious QB to take and the only seemingly sure fire player is Barkley, I can understand why taking him is justifiable. That said, I think another interesting scenario is if the Browns take Chubb with the first pick and Nelson with the fourth. Both of those guys could fill key spots for the next decade.

QB isn't the only position that you can get a good bargain at great performance for a few years. DE, DT, CB, Safety, OT are all great shots, and even WR isn't so bad. I would say the worst are RB, OG, C, and potentially ILB. 

If you're saying that literally there are not any DEs or CBs in this draft worth a high pick, okay, but I doubt it.

4 hours ago, sperry said:

Keenum seems like the ultimate bridge QB. It would be insane for Elway to not draft one.

Bridgewater is going to live the incredible life of a backup QB. Greatest gig in pro sports.

Also, I figured someone was going to dramatically overpay for Cousins, but that contract is eminently reasonable. 

Keenum is unique in that he can be both a bridge and permanent solution. If the guy Elway wants isn't there, he should trade back or grab the BPA. And I disagree about Teddy. If his knee heals and he's right, he can be a solid QB. I basically always viewed him as a mobile Chad Pennington. As far as Cousins goes, I want to see the fine print. The deal will look a lot better if we can front load it since we have a ton of cap space this year. 

4 hours ago, aceluby said:

Yeah, that's where I'm at.  This is a 'we're behind you 100% to win us to the Super Bowl over the next 3 years' deal, at which point we can decide if it isn't working out as a worst case, or we can talk about what's more important; money or a dynastic legacy if things work out better than expected.

Agreed. I wonder if they're going to be aggressive and add another big piece. Personally I'd love it if they got in the game for Suh, even if it's just a one year deal. I heard on the radio that the Rams might pursue him. The idea of pairing him with Donald is rather horrifying. 

14 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

QB isn't the only position that you can get a good bargain at great performance for a few years. DE, DT, CB, Safety, OT are all great shots, and even WR isn't so bad. I would say the worst are RB, OG, C, and potentially ILB. 

If you're saying that literally there are not any DEs or CBs in this draft worth a high pick, okay, but I doubt it.

It isn't, true, but it's the position which you can get the most value at. I believe the Eagles spent a total of $7m on their QBs this year. That's $20m less than what my team is spending on just one QB. That additional $25m can net a team two more Pro Bowl quality players.

Chubb is a DE who is worth the fourth pick. There are some DBs that are projected to go anywhere from 5 through 12. The Browns can get value at those positions in this draft, but they would need to move back to justify it. 

45 minutes ago, Trebla said:

I thought he just signed a new deal. Anyways, this is another action that is going to piss Rodgers off. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he walks after his contract is up. 

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

It isn't, true, but it's the position which you can get the most value at. I believe the Eagles spent a total of $7m on their QBs this year. That's $20m less than what my team is spending on just one QB. That additional $25m can net a team two more Pro Bowl quality players.

Chubb is a DE who is worth the fourth pick. There are some DBs that are projected to go anywhere from 5 through 12. The Browns can get value at those positions in this draft, but they would need to move back to justify it. 

If you think that those players are going to give you 4 years of starter quality, hopefully pro-bowl quality play, it doesn't matter if you pick it at 1. It's definitely the biggest bargain for QB, but saving $10m on a DE is nothing to sneeze at. 

The biggest problem from me looking at a mock draft is that there really aren't any great OT prospects, so you're basically stuck with secondary players. That can be fine, I guess, but it's not as good as it could be. Still, Chubb and a good CB is a very solid foundation, and is a lot better than anything else if you don't think that any of the QBs have it. 

16 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

If you think that those players are going to give you 4 years of starter quality, hopefully pro-bowl quality play, it doesn't matter if you pick it at 1. It's definitely the biggest bargain for QB, but saving $10m on a DE is nothing to sneeze at. 

The biggest problem from me looking at a mock draft is that there really aren't any great OT prospects, so you're basically stuck with secondary players. That can be fine, I guess, but it's not as good as it could be. Still, Chubb and a good CB is a very solid foundation, and is a lot better than anything else if you don't think that any of the QBs have it. 

Eh, with the number 1 pick, and really any top 5 pick, I want someone who will be with my team for a decade. But otherwise you have a point. 

There is a great OG prospect. That's why I suggested that the Browns could go with Barkley at 1 and Nelson at 4. Most grading sites I've seen have them as the two best players. I guess it all comes down to what the Browns think of Taylor. The old school guys hate him and the analytics guys love him. I think you can win with that personally if you surround him with enough. That's why I said it wouldn't be crazy for the Browns to not take a QB and maybe trade the 1st pick if they can stay in the top 10. That way they're likely to get either the best offensive or defensive lineman at 4 and a great defensive prospect at say 6-8. Another thing to keep in mind is that the Browns have two early second round picks. They have four of the first 35 picks, which is basically the same as four first round picks. If they could trade back and get another second this year and another first next year plus a little more, they'd be setting themselves up nicely. 

4 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

It's a matter of preference.

Or they can just sign Bridgewater and go best player at 6 :)

And McCown and Crowell.  and Trumaine Johnson - busy day for the Jets.

McCown and Bridgewater are 1 year contracts so they still are probably taking a QB at 6 but hopefully don't feel the need to trade up.

Archived