NFL Offseason '18: Our American Cousins

Rhom

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Well yeah. I thought that was a given.

And before anyone spreads fake news, that wasn't coke.

It was some nice ground up Hydrocodone. I'm not a fucking frat boy or investment banker. Give me a little credit for fuck's sake.

And the brown “cigarette?” Stormy Jacelyn gots some explaining to do!  

8 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Bengals get Cordy Glen (LT) from the Bills. We don't know details.

I'm seeing reports on CBSsports that it is: 

Bengals get LT Glenn, and #21 and #158 picks,

Bills get #12 and #187 picks.

That seems like a pretty good trade for the Bengals. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

And the brown “cigarette?” Stormy Jacelyn gots some explaining to do!  

That some of the Greenie Meanie. You can only get that shit at one classical cheese vendor in Paris from an old lady who looks like she invented the Bleu Cheese back in the days when Alexander was hittin' that shit like it owed him money in the far off rainforests of India.

Just now, Maithanet said:

That's a GREAT trade for the Bengals and a good one for the Bills.

They're loading up to make a deal with Indy or Cleveland, and I bet Solder suddenly heads upstate on Wednesday.

Wondering if the Bills are eyeing Lamar... Seems like they have to get a QB, and you can't really hope for the other 4 to be available at 21.

Also, as good of a prospect as Saquon is, it's still insane to me that anyone would take a running back in the top 5 of the draft. There were two pro bowl running backs drafted in the 3rd round last year, and Dalvin cook was drafted in the 2nd round and would have been a pro-bowler if he hadn't gotten hurt.. This is a really good year for running backs, you can get high end guys in the 2nd/3rd rounds.

3 minutes ago, sperry said:

Wondering if the Bills are eyeing Lamar... Seems like they have to get a QB, and you can't really hope for the other 4 to be available at 21.

Well they're already up to 12, which probably isn't enough, but it's getting close.  It really depends on which of the qbs they like.  This is an unusual year in that it seems like there's a lot of opinions on which of the guys is the best.  Some GMs will make/lose their reputations based on those choices. 

PFF loves Mayfield's onfield success, mechanics people love Rosen, "intangibles" people love Darnold, measurements people love Allen.  Word is that the Browns favor Allen, but that could just be smoke. 

35 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

It's a good trade for both sides. Bills have a few LTs and are trying to clear out cap space plus get close enough to trade up for a franchise QB. Bengals get a very good LT when healthy for the next 3 years at reasonable rates. I'm pretty thrilled. At 21, Bengals will have a good shot at some of the better interior OL prospects in this draft not named Nelson (Wynn, Hernandez, Price, Daniels). If they land one of them, that OL will be in a decent spot which was by far our biggest weakness last year.

12 minutes ago, Mexal said:

It's a good trade for both sides. Bills have a few LTs and are trying to clear out cap space plus get close enough to trade up for a franchise QB. Bengals get a very good LT when healthy for the next 3 years at reasonable rates. I'm pretty thrilled. At 21, Bengals will have a good shot at some of the better interior OL prospects in this draft not named Nelson (Wynn, Hernandez, Price, Daniels). If they land one of them, that OL will be in a decent spot which was by far our biggest weakness last year.

It's a rare good for all sides deal. I'm getting excited as a Colts fan man, there's electricity in the air. I like this new trade happy league, hopefully the players can bust open the CBA and get more money flowing. It really benefits the league if they want to be a year long affair, they can open the league year sooner, move up the combine.

And get the fuck off the guys' backs. Crack down on the fucking dirtbags and leave the rest of 'em alone.

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

That some of the Greenie Meanie. You can only get that shit at one classical cheese vendor in Paris from an old lady who looks like she invented the Bleu Cheese back in the days when Alexander was hittin' that shit like it owed him money in the far off rainforests of India.

:)

1 hour ago, sperry said:

Also, as good of a prospect as Saquon is, it's still insane to me that anyone would take a running back in the top 5 of the draft. There were two pro bowl running backs drafted in the 3rd round last year, and Dalvin cook was drafted in the 2nd round and would have been a pro-bowler if he hadn't gotten hurt.. This is a really good year for running backs, you can get high end guys in the 2nd/3rd rounds.

Normally I'd agree, but who else would you take? As Maith said, there isn't an Andrew Luck or a John Elway in this draft. Nobody looks like a surefire hit. On the other hand, Barkley's measurables are insane and there isn't another top prospect like an elite LT or edge rusher, otherwise they'd take Chubb. I think they're right to grab him with the first pick and not risk letting the Colts take him.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Normally I'd agree, but who else would you take? As Maith said, there isn't an Andrew Luck or a John Elway in this draft. Nobody looks like a surefire hit. On the other hand, Barkley's measurables are insane and there isn't another top prospect like an elite LT or edge rusher, otherwise they'd take Chubb. I think they're right to grab him with the first pick and not risk letting the Colts take him.

Chubb, Quentin Nelson, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Derwin James, etc.  What they really should do is take their QB at #1 and then trade down from 4. Somebody is going to fall in love with a QB and be looking to trade up, happens every single time there are decent QBs available.

3 minutes ago, sperry said:

Chubb, Quentin Nelson, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Derwin James, etc.  What they really should do is take their QB at #1 and then trade down from 4. Somebody is going to fall in love with a QB and be looking to trade up, happens every single time there are decent QBs available.

Happens even when there aren't. Remember that QB class with Gabbert in it? Jake Locker was picked 10th or so?

2 minutes ago, sperry said:

Chubb isn't worth the top pick and isn't at a position of need. I hear Nelson looks great, but it's hard taking a Guard first overall. And I don't know enough about the other two to have an informed position. If I ran the Browns I'd take Barkley first and grab the best QB left at 4, because I'm not sold on any of them at that high in the draft. And the Browns could actually have a really good offense next year with Barkley. They'd have a decent QB, awesome line and legit weapons at the skill positions. I can't believe I'm saying this, but the Browns might actually have turned the corner.  

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's tough. It really is, and I'm following the Bills like the LadyHawk that I am.

I tell ya.

It reminds me of this time some friends and I were in the Congo. We were working for the local government. They were trying to build a bridge, but the local tribes lived off the fish in the river. And every time the workers started they were fired on from the woods. Now these locals, they weren't exactly sporting modern rifles, now. But let me tell you, when these workers, basically press ganged if you will. When those shots come overhead not even the Belgians could get 'em working again.

And when guards are getting strung up in trees every night, by unseen men. Well you start to see the limits of the whip.

It never sat well with me and mine. Not sayin' we were heroes. No, far from it. But a man can only take so much, and when this one man fought back. Etua his name was, I remember the size of him. A beard fiercer than you've ever seen. His dark skin had been split on the cheek, where the Aristocrat's cane had struck a moment before. As I tell it, my senses strain in remembrance of the anger in the air. 

Etua had fought in the war, in the trenches he'd spoken French with the revolutionaries. Only a few months home from guarding Hun prisoners he was quite the popular figure.

Many of the laborers were old men, or mere boys. Etua and his guides had only grudgingly agreed to assist with labor and at great expense I understood. This disrespect of such a man. One who had survived the swamps of Flanders and seen true horror at Verdun. It broke the spell that had hung about every place of that continent I'd yet seen.

It's a new world there, I think. More than the Americas ever were. Above the desert, sure. We know Africa as a land where great empires soared and men of greatness conquered for millennia. But no different than did the Atlantic was the Sahara a barrier to exploration. A treasure was to be had in this secret and wonderful land. Instead it was mutilated. A dream sullied by the concerns of capitol. 

In the trenches we'd heard the tales of the Soviet revolution. We'd pondered the plight of the Kraut himself, hunched also in the rain. We feared the shells together, crept in silence together, and we killed each other. For nothing other than someone ordered the deed did supposedly free citizens engage in the brutal murder of our fellow persons.

Of course I should have seen it then. But in that Jungle I was awakened to the plight of the worker.

What took place on the side of that river was called murder. We called it justice.

And that's why Bradley Chubb is basically Joey Bosa and therefore sneaky-valuable.

If I was the Browns I'd field every trade offer I could until the draft clock hits one minute, then select Barkley. When #4 comes around, same thing, field every offer until last minute then draft Fitzpatrick. How many top 10 QB's fail? A shit ton. Barkley is the safest high value pick and Fitzpatrick is right there with him. Both are said to be absolute model teammates and leaders. With Tyrod at QB, Barkley RB, Landry and Gordon as WR, they would have pretty solid play makers. The defense would be a helluva lot better with a stud safety and this doesn't even factor in the other million 2nd and 3rd round picks they have. Hell they could even take the Notre Dame guard @4 if they love him enough and he would solidify the offensive line to help Tyrod and Barkley.

To me people get too wrapped up in slotting players. If you need X and the X that it there is by all accounts great, take him. Don't wait until the spot where X's are supposed to be drafted because you know what happens, a smart team will jump ahead and snatch him and your left holding your pick and wishing you had that player.

Now, all that said...I am just another idiot who has an opinion!

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

If I ran the Browns I'd take Barkley first and grab the best QB left at 4, because I'm not sold on any of them at that high in the draft.

This is what I'd do too, if I really did want Barkley and a QB of the future.  With the Colts at 3 I'd highly doubt he's going to last til 4, while it also means if you take Barkley at 1, you're very likely to get (at the least) one of your top two QB choices at 4.

I like Barkley a lot, but this draft is so deep at the RB position that, if I'm the Browns, I take the QB I like best at one, the best defensive player available at four, and then a RB at the top of the second with either their pick or the Texans' pick.  Should still be several NFL-caliber backs there at the top of the second.  I'm not even convinced that Barkley will have the best career in this draft.  He's an absurd athlete, but his vision leaves me a little concerned. 

The Niners also seem to be one of those three finalists.  I thought it was already assumed he was going to the Giants?  Makes it seem this may just be Norwell leveraging for more money from NYG.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

I like Barkley a lot, but this draft is so deep at the RB position that, if I'm the Browns, I take the QB I like best at one, the best defensive player available at four, and then a RB at the top of the second with either their pick or the Texans' pick.  Should still be several NFL-caliber backs there at the top of the second.  I'm not even convinced that Barkley will have the best career in this draft.  He's an absurd athlete, but his vision leaves me a little concerned. 

Exactly. Look at the '16 draft. Even ignoring the off-field stuff, who do you think the Cowboys would rather have: Zeke or Jalen Ramsey, especially knowing that they could have gotten Derrick Henry in the 2nd round.

Schefter reporting that Keenum is signing with Denver when it begins.

3 hours ago, sperry said:

Exactly. Look at the '16 draft. Even ignoring the off-field stuff, who do you think the Cowboys would rather have: Zeke or Jalen Ramsey, especially knowing that they could have gotten Derrick Henry in the 2nd round.

Strange I don't remember that much talk about this in their rookie years when Zeke led the league in rushing and Dallas made it to the playoffs with a time controlling offense.

I will admit I wanted Bosa not Zeke though.

Archived