House Bolton vs. House Greyjoy

Rosetta Stone

1. Who would you rather have ruling the north?
  2. Ramsay user Theon to trick the Iron born to surrender Moat Cailin and then slaughters them.  How do you feel about that?  Do you think the better man won that day?
  3. Who gets the credit for kicking the Iron born out of the north, the Boltons or Stannis? 
  4. Which house do you sympathize more between these two?
  5. Which family has a higher chance of surviving until the end of the series?
  6. Roose vs. Balon.  Who do you like better?
  7. Ramsay vs. Theon.  Who do you like better?
  8. How much of a factor did losing the north have on Roose Bolton's decision to betray Robb?  I mean, is it not possible that Roose was worried about his castle and his people and assumed he could do a better job than Robb in taking back the north?  Are you willing to give Roose the benefit of the doubt that he had good intentions and honestly thought Robb and the Starks were hurting the north and the people?

2 hours ago, Rosetta Stone said:
  2. Ramsay user Theon to trick the Iron born to surrender Moat Cailin and then slaughters them.  How do you feel about that?  Do you think the better man won that day?
  3. Who gets the credit for kicking the Iron born out of the north, the Boltons or Stannis? 
  8. How much of a factor did losing the north have on Roose Bolton's decision to betray Robb?  I mean, is it not possible that Roose was worried about his castle and his people and assumed he could do a better job than Robb in taking back the north?  Are you willing to give Roose the benefit of the doubt that he had good intentions and honestly thought Robb and the Starks were hurting the north and the people?

1: House Stokeworth under Lord stokeworth, Ser Bronn of the Blackwater
2: The better man is the one who is still alive
3: The one alive at the end 
4: House Greyjoy. They get beat a lot but they still keep coming back. Plucky.
5: House stark
6: Roose. Calm. Cool, Ruthless. Smart, Educated. Practical. Tactical. Effective. Like a cool weather Tywin 
7: Theon. There is finally a character that can sympathize with Varys 
8a: The north being invaded did not factor much. It was Robb breaking a deal with a necessary ally.  Roose could not have felt secure under Robbs rule long term. 
8b: Possibly.
8c: I am sure he felt he could do it better with fresh southron help
8d: No 

6 hours ago, Rosetta Stone said:
  1. Who would you rather have ruling the north?  Bolton
  2. Ramsay user Theon to trick the Iron born to surrender Moat Cailin and then slaughters them.  How do you feel about that?  Do you think the better man won that day?  Quite efficient.  The smarter man, not necessarily better though.  It was harsh of Ramsay but probably not unreasonable.
  3. Who gets the credit for kicking the Iron born out of the north, the Boltons or Stannis?  Boltons
  4. Which house do you sympathize more between these two?  Bolton
  5. Which family has a higher chance of surviving until the end of the series?  Greyjoy.  They have more.
  6. Roose vs. Balon.  Who do you like better?  Roose
  7. Ramsay vs. Theon.  Who do you like better?  Theon
  8. How much of a factor did losing the north have on Roose Bolton's decision to betray Robb?  I mean, is it not possible that Roose was worried about his castle and his people and assumed he could do a better job than Robb in taking back the north?  Are you willing to give Roose the benefit of the doubt that he had good intentions and honestly thought Robb and the Starks were hurting the north and the people?  He thought he could do better than Robb and he could be right.  I don't know if that was the motivation when the war began.  Losing Winterfell made the men want to go home and protect their families from the Ironborn.  So yeah it had a profound effect.

1. Who would you rather have ruling the north? Bolton, they are from the North and just because some members are monsters doesn't mean everyone will be, for example Domeric.
  2. Ramsay user Theon to trick the Iron born to surrender Moat Cailin and then slaughters them.  How do you feel about that?  Do you think the better man won that day? I feel neutral about that. In the end though, Ironborn there had to be dealt with and if they weren't killed by Ramsey, that would had been killed by Crannogmen. And the Ironborn were half dead, not really a victory worth praising.
  3. Who gets the credit for kicking the Iron born out of the north, the Boltons or Stannis? Euron for killing Balon. After that the Ironborn were done for sooner or later anyway since Euron didn't care about the North.
  4. Which house do you sympathize more between these two? Boltons. They are not culturally evil.
  5. Which family has a higher chance of surviving until the end of the series? Definitely Greyjoys.
  6. Roose vs. Balon.  Who do you like better? Roose is more interesting, hence him.
  7. Ramsay vs. Theon.  Who do you like better? Theon.
  8. How much of a factor did losing the north have on Roose Bolton's decision to betray Robb?  I mean, is it not possible that Roose was worried about his castle and his people and assumed he could do a better job than Robb in taking back the north?  Are you willing to give Roose the benefit of the doubt that he had good intentions and honestly thought Robb and the Starks were hurting the north and the people? Difficult to say but it could have played a role. After all Roose stayed loyal to Ned during Robert's Rebellion. 

1. The Greyjoys don't rule.  They rob and they steal from the better men.  Bolton is the only choice and Roose could make a good ruler if time permitted him to defeat Stannis and Jon.
  2. Roose used Ramsay to ease his passage back to the north.  He's sly, Roose.  Knowing he can't attack from the south meant Ramsay would have to help his father get across Moat Cailin.  It's brutal but I don't think the Ironborn would be kinder if the situation were reversed. 
  3. Tie.  Stannis took back Deepwood and Ramsay took back Moat Cailin. 
  4. I'm neutral to these guys.  Euron, Victarion, and Theon are dicks but that's not Asha's fault. 
  5. Greyjoy
  6. Roose
  7. Theon
  8. Rebellion is wrong and Robb is a rebel.  It's too bad we don't have a Roose pov.

22 hours ago, Rosetta Stone said:
  1. Who would you rather have ruling the north?  Roose Bolton sans his bastard.
  2. Ramsay user Theon to trick the Iron born to surrender Moat Cailin and then slaughters them.  How do you feel about that?  Do you think the better man won that day?  That was a brutal scene.  Theon mercy killed the captain then led the rest to their unceremonious murder.   He didn't anticipate Ramsay's brutality.  Ramsay definitely won that, but Theon also showed he's still capable of certain actions.
  3. Who gets the credit for kicking the Iron born out of the north, the Boltons or Stannis?  Bolton, hands down.
  4. Which house do you sympathize more between these two?  They are both sad cases.  Vikings or Vampires--who has it worse?
  5. Which family has a higher chance of surviving until the end of the series?  Greyjoy.
  6. Roose vs. Balon.  Who do you like better?  Roose is great.
  7. Ramsay vs. Theon.  Who do you like better?  Theon is a much more developed character than Ramsay.  It's not easy to get invested in a comic book villain.
  8. How much of a factor did losing the north have on Roose Bolton's decision to betray Robb?  I mean, is it not possible that Roose was worried about his castle and his people and assumed he could do a better job than Robb in taking back the north?  Are you willing to give Roose the benefit of the doubt that he had good intentions and honestly thought Robb and the Starks were hurting the north and the people?  It's not likely Roose has ever had a good intention in his life.  Roose is a cunning and conniving self promoting opportunist.  Roose is concerned with Roose. 

On 16/02/2018 at 5:15 AM, Rosetta Stone said:
  1. Who would you rather have ruling the north? Roose or Domeric
  2. Ramsay user Theon to trick the Iron born to surrender Moat Cailin and then slaughters them.  How do you feel about that?  Do you think the better man won that day? A brutal and devious swerve, no doubt. 
  3. Who gets the credit for kicking the Iron born out of the north, the Boltons or Stannis? Depends on who wins at Winterfell
  4. Which house do you sympathize more between these two? Greyjoy - we have more historical evidence of the Squids trying to change their ways, as well as current Greyjoys like Asha being a bit more easy going than Roose and Ramsay.
  5. Which family has a higher chance of surviving until the end of the series? Greyjoy - more living members.
  6. Roose vs. Balon.  Who do you like better? Roose was, for me, a better character to read about.
  7. Ramsay vs. Theon.  Who do you like better? Theon
  8. How much of a factor did losing the north have on Roose Bolton's decision to betray Robb?  I mean, is it not possible that Roose was worried about his castle and his people and assumed he could do a better job than Robb in taking back the north?  Are you willing to give Roose the benefit of the doubt that he had good intentions and honestly thought Robb and the Starks were hurting the north and the people? Perhaps this factored in to the decision, but the WOT5K was by no means a done deal at that point. Had Robb won, Roose would have stood to gain a lot more in the long run.

On 2/16/2018 at 0:15 AM, Rosetta Stone said:

1. The Greyjoys don’t know how to rule, so Boltons by default.

2. The Ironborn would have done literally the exact same thing if given the opportunity. And no, there is no situation on Planetos where Ramsay can be defined as “the better man”.

3. The Boltons, simply by virtue of the fact they destroyed more Ironborn garrisons. 

4. The Greyjoys, simple because we’ve been introduced to two complex memebers of that family (Theon and Asha), whereas literally every Bolton we’ve met has been a monster (Domeric doesn’t count because we only hear about him from a biased perspective).

5. The Greyjoys, just based on statistical probability. The only two Bolton’s are not only in a direct line of fire but are just as liable to kill each other. While three of the four living Grejoys would like to kill each other and are also in direct danger, there’s less overlap than here is for the Bolton boys.

6. They’re both awful people, but Roose at least has a sense of humor and knows how to plan ahead.

7. Theon. Honestly the fact this would even be a debate is kind of silly, his chapters are some of the best in the series and Ramsay is as absurdly written as the Masters of Slaver’s Bay.

8. Robb losing the North improved Roose’s opportunity to betray him, but the mindset was there from the start due to Robb starting his rebellion in a weaker position than where Ned started his from. 

If Roose honestly felt he was better suited to the job, he could have taken his men and left when the Karstarks did and gotten right back to booting out the Ironborn. And if hurting the North was something Roose was opposed to, he wouldn’t have strategically weakened every house but his own through his battlefield choices.

1. Who would you rather have ruling the north? Roose, provided he has a mentally sound heir (i.e. not Ramsay).
  2. Ramsay uses Theon to trick the Ironborn to surrender Moat Cailin and then slaughters them.  How do you feel about that?  Do you think the better man won that day? I mean, it's cunning work, but it also shows the pure treachery of Ramsay. Harshness is one thing; cruelty is another, and combined with treachery, that's a bad result. 
  3. Who gets the credit for kicking the Ironborn out of the north, the Boltons or Stannis? The Boltons. Stannis routed the last holdouts and if he wins the Battle of Ice, he'll get credit for removing the Boltons, but in terms of removing the ironborn, the Moat Cailin maneuver is what really did it.
  4. Which house do you sympathize more between these two? It's hard to sympathize with a house that flagrantly betrayed its liege lord and whose heir participates in vile depravities. The alternative worships an archaic, backwards-ass religion, but you've got Asha as someone who is remarkably forward-thinking and progressive, and who seems willing to change the ironborn way of life. Plus Theon is one of the best characters.
  5. Which family has a higher chance of surviving until the end of the series? There are far more Greyjoys (and aren't there Greyjoy cousins beyond the main line we follow?), versus two Boltons, both of whom are trapped in a blizzard-bound city surrounded by enemies. I suspect at least one Greyjoy sees the end of the series to its conclusion, though.
  6. Roose vs. Balon.  Who do you like better? Roose all day. Balon is my least favorite Greyjoy.
  7. Ramsay vs. Theon.  Who do you like better? Theon all day. He's GRRM's best creation and he's just in general more well-rounded. I'm not sure how anyone could "like" Ramsay, except to hate him as a good villain.
  8. How much of a factor did losing the north have on Roose Bolton's decision to betray Robb?  I mean, is it not possible that Roose was worried about his castle and his people and assumed he could do a better job than Robb in taking back the north?  Are you willing to give Roose the benefit of the doubt that he had good intentions and honestly thought Robb and the Starks were hurting the north and the people? I think Roose betrayed Robb for personal gain, but he also saw the writing on the wall. Robb had made a colossal blunder in marrying Jeyne and snubbing the Freys, and despite being a fearsome warrior on the battlefield, he was still a naive boy who was making the selfsame mistakes of his father. I don't think Roose is capable of "worry" in terms of his people or his holdings.

Archived