What is the origin of Daenerys’s three dragon eggs?

3 hours ago, Bael's Bastard said:

That makes sense. But, in addition to the mentions of recent Targ kings having dragon eggs (Aegon V and Aerys II), it is odd that the question in the preview for Fire and Blood would mention the origins of Dany's dragon eggs if it just coincides with what Illyrio explicitly states in one of the first chapters of the first book. Then again, since this volume only covers Aegon I to part way through the reign of Aegon III, I am not sure how it could address that anyway. I am not sure it could really address that question even if it were the whole Fire and Blood.

There are many other interesting possibilities in addition to the eggs coming from a Targaryen dragon.  Three eggs older than history itself coming into the possession of the very person who can hatch them is way more interesting than the first.  The Eastern Arc is partly about rebirth and Dany is the Mother of Dragons.  

2 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

When did the George send his descriptions of Baelor's sisters to Amok? 

You would have to ask George or Amok about that one. But you can check the time when he shared the information in the SSM. Which should have been about ten years ago or so.

I really don't think there is any evidence to believe the dragon eggs thing had been drafted by the time George wrote AGoT. Then Viserys III could have been the source for Dany's eggs. Or the Dothraki Sea. The whole Asshai connection pretty much dropped whereas the whole Targaryen dragon eggs things was more and more developed, both in Dunk & Egg as well as the other historical stuff.

2 hours ago, zandru said:

Thanks for this. I'd forgotten. I guess we're back to the idea of Melisandre animating the castle decor again. I'd say she's crazy, but for those shadow babies...

That seems to have been her and Selyse's plan for lack of dragon eggs. But dragon eggs and Dragonstone might still return in some way.

One should also not forget Shireen's nightmares of being eaten by dragons. Perhaps Stannis has found a dragon egg, after all - or is going to acquire one - and Shireen has then burn to hatch it. In a sense that would she that she is eaten by dragons.

2 hours ago, Bael's Bastard said:

I'm not clear on how easy or difficult it is for dragon eggs to be destroyed. It seems plausible that the eggs could have been lost in the debris, but with them being worth so much, it seems unlikely nobody would have gone looking for them, though no guarantee they would be found. Maybe Rhaegar found them before he lost his rubies. :D

I just don't rule it out that they were destroyed or lost there.

2 hours ago, Bael's Bastard said:

Yes, I find the idea of Varys "rescuing" three dragon eggs much more likely than Varys rescuing baby Aegon.

And it could have been more than just three eggs. Aerys II could have found six on Dragonstone, or nine, or twelve, or whatever. Three of those would have then gone to Dany and another three or unknown number to Aegon in one of those chests.

You don't put all your eggs in one basket - quite literally.

3 hours ago, Bael's Bastard said:

I don't think there is an explicit hint that they are Targaryen eggs. But I think there may be something to the idea that there is some link between dragonriding families and their dragons. The fact that incest was a pre-Doom Valyrian custom when there were dozens of dragonlord families, rather than just a post-Doom Targaryen custom when there was just one, indicates that the dragonlord families might have believed it important to keep their bloodines "pure" even from other families of dragonlords. Even if they had such beliefs, that doesn't mean they were based on fact, but still, it is not out of the realm of possibility that certain lines of dragons have some magical tie to certain lines of families.

I am familiar with that theory. It certainly cannot be disproved with what we have, but I am not buying based on what we have either. 

19 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I am familiar with that theory. It certainly cannot be disproved with what we have, but I am not buying based on what we have either. 

Why are you strangely skeptical about such clear hints? It is a deliberate choice on the author's part to give Aerys II some new old dragon eggs, and there was no need for him to include a parallel that connects them to Dany's eggs.

I mean, nobody ever expected that Aerys II had any dragon eggs anyway because prior to TWoIaF nobody ever connected Aerys II to dragon eggs in any way, shape, or form. But now this guy actually had dragon eggs who are described similarly as Dany's own by Illyrio. That isn't a coincidence. It might turn out to mean nothing but I'd be very surprised if it did.

Nobody says it is confirmed that those eggs are Targaryen eggs. People are just expecting that this is what's going to be revealed further down the road. George has hammered home the fact that the reason as to why Illyrio gave Dany those eggs will be answered. If he didn't care neither would Daenerys - but she brings up the whole thing two times in ADwD. And even phantom Viserys III cares.

The ultimate origin of those eggs is likely going to be a part of why Illyrio gave the eggs to Dany in the first place.

3 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

I always just thought they were from Asshai, land of shadows and plot devices, and Illiryo had no grand plan other than giving his Targaryen puppets clear symbols of Targaryen authority.

This. 

I see no reason for the Magister to lie.  Asshai. 

But he is a liar.  I think at least one of the eggs belonged to Rhaegar, the black egg.  Is it likely that Illyrio would tell Dany that he had gotten his hands on Targaryen eggs?  That would be saying too much.  What would Viserys say about it - "Those eggs belong to me and how did you get your hands on them?"

But he is a liar.  I think at least one of the eggs belonged to Rhaegar, the black egg.  Is it likely that Illyrio would tell Dany that he had gotten his hands on Targaryen eggs?  That would be saying too much.  What would Viserys say about it - "Those eggs belong to me and how did you get your hands on them?"

I don't think anyone would have been surprised to learn that he had purchased them on the market (even a shady market like the one he ran with Varys before Varys left for Aerys's council). But yeah, Viserys might have tried to claim them had they once belonged to House Targaryen. 

I don't think anyone would have been surprised to learn that he had purchased them on the market (even a shady market like the one he ran with Varys before Varys left for Aerys's council). But yeah, Viserys might have tried to claim them had they once belonged to House Targaryen. 

Since the black egg is the largest of the three and it's colors are so closely associated with Rhaegar's black and red armor; I'm going with that as the most likely Targ egg.  It's possible the other two were purchased.

Since the black egg is the largest of the three and it's colors are so closely associated with Rhaegar's black and red armor; I'm going with that as the most likely Targ egg.  It's possible the other two were purchased.

Of the three, Viserion's egg was most likely to have been a Targaryen egg, I think, for the reasons stated upthread by @Lord Varys.

It's possible they are all Targ eggs.  I can believe that very easily.

A lot of folks agree with you. But whether Varys smuggled them out after Robert's Rebellion, or they were acquired on the open market from a Targaryen clutch, or whether they are ancient eggs from Asshai, does it matter for the end game? 

Well it only matters if there is some reason to make them Targ eggs.  My own reasoning is that the black egg belonged to Rhaegar and became the container of his soul.  That means that waking the dragon has something to do with raising the dead; in this case resurrecting Rhaegar as a dragon in exchange for the life of Dany's unborn son.  I don't believe that Drogo's soul inhabits the egg.  I think this is the reason that Dany dreams of herself wearing Rhaegar's 'armor' and transforming into a dragon.   

I also think that Dany can see a soul wreathed in flame but can't see a soul disguised as a direwolf.  So when Dany dreams of molten gold pouring from Viserys mouth; this is alluding to the creme and white dragon whose flame is shot with gold.  Likewise the green and copper dragon might by bound to Rhaego's soul  whom Dany sees as a fiery stallion with copper skin in her vision. 

This might come back to the great dragons or dragon gods of the Targs and more specifically Dany's dream of the Trident.  Those memories are not her memories.     

I also think, that the other two could have been purchased. From Penny and her brother Oppo. Someone gave them two dragon eggs, as a reward for their performance. I don't remember when exactly, but Penny told that story to Tyrion. Though she didn't specifically said, that they were given dragon eggs, she just said, that they were given a great treasure, or something like that. 

And the black dragon egg probably was the one from Whitewalls. That egg also was black with red. And even though the patterns were different, it still could be the same egg as Drogon's, that's if with time the coloring of dragon eggs are slightly changing.

Based on information, that was left after the burning of Summerhall,  there was 7 eggs. So probably there was seven Targaryens, each with his/her dragon egg. Aegon V, Duncan the Small (black egg probably belonged to him), Jaehaerys and Shaera, Daella and Rhae, Vaella (Egg's niece, daughter of Daeron). It is known for sure that Egg and his siblings (at least some of them) did had 1 dragon egg each. Though the quantity of dragon eggs wasn't growing, so when next generations of Targaryens were born, they didn't get their own dragon eggs. Though when previous holders of dragon eggs, such as Daeron and Aerion died, probably their eggs were passed down either to their own children, or were given to Egg's children, because he was head of House Targaryen, so probably he had a right to decide to whom they should go, after their previous owners died.

Bloodraven's dwarf stolen black egg from Whitewalls, so probably eventually that egg was given to Egg's firstborn son Duncan.

I think, that the tragedy at Summerhall was caused by Blackfyres and Brackens, they interfered into ritual, and caused that fire. And also they stolen either all dragon eggs, or only the black one. Though if they have stolen all seven, then could be that they have sold some of them, so eventually two of them ended up in possession of Penny and Oppo, and then Illyrio bough them out. Could be that Illyrio so easily parted with three eggs, because he (or Varys) still had 4 more.

Archived