Could Ned knight someone? Further, does lordship or kingship enable you to make knights?

Leonardo

29 minutes ago, Megorova said:

Even though it wasn't written in the books, doesn't mean that it never happened.

I just love that sentence. Starting from here I'd say that Ned was knighted by the Knight's King and Robb was knighted secretly by Santa Claus…

1 hour ago, Megorova said:

As @Lord Lannister said, Walder was expecting that Robb will knight Olyvar. That's what Cat said, prior revealing that Robb will have to marry with a Frey girl. Which means, that by that point, Robb himself was already a knight. Maybe Ned himself didn't cared about knighthood, but the same thing couldn't be said about Cat. Could be that Cat asked King Robert, to knight Robb, prior Ned left Winterfell. Even though it wasn't written in the books, doesn't mean that it never happened.

Lords seem to have the ability to knight people is what I'm arguing, not that the Starks are secretly knights. That would be unlike Martin to just omit a detail like that, if it was his intention.

14 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Stannis hates the gods(I don't know what religiously he'd even qualify as-an anti-theist?)-he's not going to be making any oaths to the 7 whove shown to be useless from his POV. Ned believes strictly in the old gods; him becoming a knight is like a orthodox Jew becoming a priest-it wouldn't make sense much on his part.

Except that knighting people is a valuable gift and tool, especially coming from Ned, a big war hero, warden of the North and Lord of Winterfell, best friend of Robert Baratheon the current king.

6 hours ago, Megorova said:
17 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Wasn't Ned married in the faith of Seven, even though his religion was faith of Old Gods? Valemen are mostly Andals. Many of them are knights. Arryns, Royces, and Hardings were knights for many generations. Even their troops are called Knights of The Vale, because they are knights, not just warriors. Jon Arryn's religion was faith of the Seven, same as Lysa's and Cat's. And the wedding was held in a region, that also was mostly pro-Seven. I don't see a reason, why wouldn't Jon Arryn knight Ned in span of Robert's Rebellion, or Robert knight Ned after the war, when he became a King.

If anything I would expect Catelyn to have adopted her new patriarch's gods. There wasn't a heart tree close enough so yes, I would say Ned probably said his marriage oaths to Catelyn swearing upon the 7. But to be clear You don't really need to be a part of a religion for the marriage ceremony to be binding-Arys Karstark married a Thenn,  and Melisandre performed the ceremony when both Arys and the Thenn were not followers of R'lor.

And I figure Stannis thinks Davos is his knight in a way areligious. Or Martin didn't think this through with having a strict anti-theist knighting someone or becoming a knight.

30 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

But to be clear You don't really need to be a part of a religion for the marriage ceremony to be binding

Same with knighting. People could be knighted on a battlefield, if they are dying, then it doesn't matter what is their original religion. Same as that Red Priest gave to Beric kiss of fire, even though Berric wasn't follower of R'hllor. And Sansa got married to Tyrion thru ritual of Seven, not Old Gods, even though unlike Cat, Sansa was follower of Old faith, or maybe she was a mixer. Anyway I think that anyone can be knighted, no matter what his religion is. Same as with marriage ceremony, or making vows to Night's Watch.

Also there's many opportunities, when Ned could have been knighted:

1. while he was Jon Arryn's warden in The Vale;
  2. after his wedding with Cat, she could have asked Ned to become a knight, because she wanted to be married to a knight. Brandon was knight. So if Ned has build a Sept at Winterfell, specifically for Cat, then I don't see a reason, why he would decline her request, if she asked him to become knighted;
  3. sometime in span of Robert's Rebellion, somewhere on the battlefield, maybe even after Rhaegar's death, when Robert was wounded, and he has sent Ned to KL to deal with King Aerys;
  4. after Ned returned to KL from Dorne, with Lyanna's body. He could have been knighted by Robert either for finding her, or for defeating Arthur Dayne, and two other Kingsguards;
  5. in span of Greyjoy's Rebellion, same as Jorah Mormont;
  6. when Robert made Ned his Hand.

On 28/04/2018 at 10:40 PM, Megorova said:

Same with knighting. People could be knighted on a battlefield, if they are dying, then it doesn't matter what is their original religion. Same as that Red Priest gave to Beric kiss of fire, even though Berric wasn't follower of R'hllor. And Sansa got married to Tyrion thru ritual of Seven, not Old Gods, even though unlike Cat, Sansa was follower of Old faith, or maybe she was a mixer. Anyway I think that anyone can be knighted, no matter what his religion is. Same as with marriage ceremony, or making vows to Night's Watch.

Also there's many opportunities, when Ned could have been knighted:

1. while he was Jon Arryn's warden in The Vale;
  2. after his wedding with Cat, she could have asked Ned to become a knight, because she wanted to be married to a knight. Brandon was knight. So if Ned has build a Sept at Winterfell, specifically for Cat, then I don't see a reason, why he would decline her request, if she asked him to become knighted;
  3. sometime in span of Robert's Rebellion, somewhere on the battlefield, maybe even after Rhaegar's death, when Robert was wounded, and he has sent Ned to KL to deal with King Aerys;
  4. after Ned returned to KL from Dorne, with Lyanna's body. He could have been knighted by Robert either for finding her, or for defeating Arthur Dayne, and two other Kingsguards;
  5. in span of Greyjoy's Rebellion, same as Jorah Mormont;
  6. when Robert made Ned his Hand.

Someone having the opportunity to do something isn't evidence that they did it. Ned and Robert had plenty of opportunity to become lovers. Doesn't mean that they did.

We're privy to Ned (and Cat's) actual thoughts. If any of your scenarios happened then why did no one think about it?

I'd also say being a Knight would be totally out of character for Ned. He's a down to earth guy who, despite his titles, doesn't feel like he's better than anyone. He does his duty when it's thrust upon him he never actively seeks it out. We know that he was very reluctant to become Hand of the King, a far bigger honour, and only accepted at Cat's insistence, so why would he want to be a Knight?

Scenario 2 is totally out of character for Cat as well. She thinks about her first time with Ned during the series. There was no fantasy about marrying a brave, handsome knight. She married who her father told her to without question or protest. She isn't Sansa.

Archived