What did Eddard want to do with Rhaegar's children?

Lee-Sensei

18 hours ago, Lee-Sensei said:

Robert let Viserys and Daenerys live and again, this is about what Eddard wanted

6 hours ago, Bael's Bastard said:

Robert was never in possession of Viserys and Daenerys, to "let [them] live."

This. Also, Robert was angry at Stannis for letting them get away by failing to capture Dragonstone quickly enough. He wanted them.

1 hour ago, Lord Lannister said:

This. Also, Robert was angry at Stannis for letting them get away by failing to capture Dragonstone quickly enough. He wanted them.

That's irrelevant. They were wandering beggars. He could have killed them off much sooner if he wanted to. I doubt he would have done it.

2 hours ago, Bael's Bastard said:

I've always found it bizarre that Daenerys's pregnancy was a big deal to Robert.

Viserys, a patrilineal Targaryen whose existence Robert apparently was not concerned about, was still alive, and why should Robert expect a Dothraki with matrilineal Targaryen ancestry to be favored over a Baratheon with matrilineal Targaryen ancestry?

Probably Robert wasn't worried about Viserys, because from Varys' reports he knew, that Viserys is a weakling, and that people don't respect him, that he is called beggar king, and that he is not even a warrior, thus no one will follow him into battle. He's a pure Targaryen, but he is not a threat. While Dany's half-Dothraki half-Targaryen child, will be raised by Dothraki Khal, and will become a major threat in the future, for Robert, when he will be old, and unable to fight, and for Robert's children, that will sit on Iron Throne after him.

20 hours ago, Ylath's Snout said:

Are you for real? You are arguing that Aerys is is too crazy to be held accountable for his actions while at the same time expecting everyone to blindly follow his commands?!?!

There's a rule, that is applied in military and on board of a ship, etc., according to which, if the person in charge is unable to rule, because of health issues, or mental unstability, etc., then he/she can be deposed, and his/her authorization will pass on to his/her substitute/heir/next in charge. This practice was also used in monarchy/chieftainship, for government to legally dispose unfitting ruler.

<- I have problems with expressing, what I mean in this case, English is my fourth language, so... <_<... :dunno:  I saw cases like this in several movies, and have read about it in historic books.

Seems that in 7K, some lords, several times in history, since beginning of Targaryen reign, were intending to use this rule - to gather Great Council and depose ruling monarch. Though those plans weren't implemented.

Basically, if Queen Rhaella or Prince Rhaegar wanted to depose Aerys, they could have done it thru Great Council. All they needed to do, is to ask for assistance from Kingsguards, to take Aerys under arrest, and summon Great Council. Or maybe even Small Council could have been able to decide, that Aerys is unable to rule, and should be removed from Iron Throne.

21 hours ago, Ylath's Snout said:

You alternative scenario is nonsensical for a number of reasons: 1 How could Arryn know that Rhaegar would be willing to overthrow his father?

It would be a gamble. The Rebellion also was a gamble. No?

22 hours ago, Ylath's Snout said:

Wouldn't the most utilitarian way for Rhaegar to act be to:  Nab Lyanna and married her, to ensure tPtWP is born. Than lead his own rebellion against Aerys? Sure Aerys has Elia and their children hostage but hey apparently letting the Mad King kill people you love is the only ethical thing to do apparently.

Just one dead wife and two dead kids for a unified Kingdom that tPtWP could inherit directly instead of all the nonsense that when down in the books?

Probably the reason why Rhaegar didn't tried to depose his father, using method, about which I wrote above, is because Aerys held Rhaegar's children, wife and mother Rhaella, as hostages. Also at that time lords in Small Council were supporting Aerys' rule, because thanks to his madness, they were able to do all sorts of things behind his back, and even under his nose, and he was too crazy to understand, that they were using him, and his condition. So they wouldn't have supported Rhaegar, and wouldn't have let him to depose Aerys.

Most likely, if Rhaegar did rebelled, prior Lyanna's kidnapping, then he would have been executed, because Aerys had another heir - Viserys, so in case of Rhaegar's defiance, he and his family could have been eliminated. Though if Jon Arryn, Ned Stark, Robert Baratheon, Hoster Tully, and with them Doran Martell, that's five out of 7K, would have supported Rhaegar, and helped him to gather Great Council, instead of going into war against him, then they could have ended that conflict much sooner.

23 minutes ago, Megorova said:

Basically, if Queen Rhaella or Prince Rhaegar wanted to depose Aerys, they could have done it thru Great Council. All they needed to do, is to ask for assistance from Kingsguards, to take Aerys under arrest, and summon Great Council.

Doesn't this puch them higher on your list of people to blame for the Rebellion tho? They would have been in a much better position to peacefully deal with Aerys than Arryn was.

However in the whole history of Targ rule there has been plenty of crazy kings and non of them were deposed. Making it seem like that wasn't an option.

7 minutes ago, Megorova said:

It would be a gamble. The Rebellion also was a gamble. No?

The Rebellion was the reasonable gamble. Stark-Baratheon-Arryn-Tully is an imposing alliance and would have a fighting chance. There is also the question of time, starting right away would insure the memory of Aerys unjust act are fresh, helping them turn people to the rebel side as we see Robert doing after the Battles at Summerhall.

Jon Arryn, man in his 60s going off on an adventure to find a prince in hiding that for all Jon knew was fine with the killings would be plane crazy. Even if Arryn somehow found Rhaegar what makes you think the prince could do anything about the Mad King? Rhaenys, Aegon and Elia would still be at risk. Robert and Ned fighting to make Rhaegar king after all the shit that he at the very least is partly responsible for beggars belief.

26 minutes ago, Megorova said:

is because Aerys held Rhaegar's children, wife and mother Rhaella

Why do you blame Jon for not being willing to sacrifice his loved ones but Rhaegar gets a pass for the same reason?

1 hour ago, Lee-Sensei said:

That's irrelevant. They were wandering beggars. He could have killed them off much sooner if he wanted to. I doubt he would have done it.

Just because you say so? Ok. You seem to think far higher of Robert's morality than I do. Apathy was mostly what kept Viserys and Dany alive. He didn't blink an eye at the murder of Rhaegar's children, and he had no qualms, in fact was eager, to send a hitman against a 13 year old pregnant girl. There's nothing to indicate he wanted to hold them as hostages and plenty to indicated he wanted to kill every Targaryen he got his hands on. As such, I think Robert would've murdered Rhaegar's children himself if he had to. By his logic, someone has to, and he was never one to shy away from a dirty deed.

1 hour ago, Lord Lannister said:

Just because you say so? Ok. You seem to think far higher of Robert's morality than I do. Apathy was mostly what kept Viserys and Dany alive. He didn't blink an eye at the murder of Rhaegar's children, and he had no qualms, in fact was eager, to send a hitman against a 13 year old pregnant girl. There's nothing to indicate he wanted to hold them as hostages and plenty to indicated he wanted to kill every Targaryen he got his hands on. As such, I think Robert would've murdered Rhaegar's children himself if he had to. By his logic, someone has to, and he was never one to shy away from a dirty deed.

Nope. Because he didn't. If Robert wanted to murder them, he would have done it with or without Lord Arryn's consent. We don't know what he felt about the death of Rhaegar's children and he never gave the order. He sent an assassin after he when she had an army of Dothraki. He could have done it while they were wondering in the desert. He was never one to shy away from a dirty deed? Really? He lets Lady die. He doesn't do it himself. Tywin murders Rhaegar's children. It wasn't him.He orders Daenerys assassination, but regrets it and calls it off even though there's plenty of reason to suspect that they are going to attack.

16 hours ago, Ylath's Snout said:

Doesn't this puch them higher on your list of people to blame for the Rebellion tho? They would have been in a much better position to peacefully deal with Aerys than Arryn was.

Theoretically they could have deposed him, though unfortunately, when Rhaegar could have done it, he wasn't at KL. At that time he had a more important mission - to prevent Lyanna's wedding with Robert. If she went ro Riverrun, than after that, she would have been kept under constant watch of her family, until her own wedding. So when she was traveling to Riverrun, that was the only opportunity to retrieve her. And without Rhaegar doing that, there would have been no promised Prince, and thus no victory over the Others.

However in the whole history of Targ rule there has been plenty of crazy kings and non of them were deposed. Making it seem like that wasn't an option. 

There was several attempts, though people, that made them, for various reasons didn't went thru to the end.

Though, based on Great Council of 136, lords of 7K can be summoned even without request from royal family. Aegon III became King, when he was 11 years old. Great Council was gathered and lords of 7K decided to create council of seven regents, that ruled 7K for next 5 years, until Aegon turned 16. The Council was gathered without asking King's permisson, and his regents were chosen without consulting with him.

Jon Arryn was in more favourable position, than Rhaegar, to gather Great Council. On his side supposedly were Starks, Baratheons, Tullys, and maybe he could have gained support of Martells. If those five would have gathered their bannermen to attend Great Council, than Lannisters and Tyrells would have also attended with theirs. Though, instead of choosing more peaceful option, Jon Arryn has chosen war.

Rhaegar was away from KL, and for several months he didn't knew what was happening back at home.

When Rhaegar left KL, shortly after Aegon's birth, the situation with his father wasn't as bad as after Lyanna's "kidnapping". Rhaegar couldn't have known, what will happen, after he and Lyanna disappeared. I think, that at that time happened something else, not kidnapping. So Rhaegar wasn't expecting that his actions will cause that Rebellion. I think, that Lyanna and Rhaegar eloped together, and probably she said to Robert, that she won't marry with him. And after they were gone, it was Robert, who made people think, that Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna, isntead of informing her family, that she willingly left with Rhaegar.

Why do you blame Jon for not being willing to sacrifice his loved ones but Rhaegar gets a pass for the same reason?

Ned and Robert were adult males, and soldiers/warriors, and not even Jon's relatives, while Rhaegar's hostages, kept by Aerys, were women and little children, and blood of his blood - woman, that gave him life, and woman, that united her life with him, and gave him children. Thus Jon's and Rhaegar's situations are uncomparable.

16 minutes ago, Megorova said:

Theoretically they could have deposed him, though unfortunately, when Rhaegar could have done it, he wasn't at KL. At that time he had a more important mission - to prevent Lyanna's wedding with Robert.

He could have acted sooner to do something about his father. If he was king asking for Lyanna's hand would have been much simpler.  Targs have had multiple wives in the past.

17 minutes ago, Megorova said:

And without Rhaegar doing that, there would have been no promised Prince, and thus no victory over the Others.

We do not know if Jon Snow will play any special role in defeating the Others.  Blindly trying to fulfill prophecy without any regard for the current state of affairs is foolish and dangerous.

33 minutes ago, Megorova said:

Rhaegar couldn't have known, what will happen, after he and Lyanna disappeared. I think, that at that time happened something else, not kidnapping. So Rhaegar wasn't expecting that his actions will cause that Rebellion.

Assuming that nothing would happen when he slighted two of the most powerful families in the kingdom and while his deeply insane father was running the show is naive to a perplexing degree. Add to that the fact that Rhaegar did nothing to calm the situation afterwards and he just looks worse and worse as a person and potential future ruler. No letters or anything.

41 minutes ago, Megorova said:

I think, that Lyanna and Rhaegar eloped together, and probably she said to Robert, that she won't marry with him. And after they were gone, it was Robert, who made people think, that Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna, isntead of informing her family, that she willingly left with Rhaegar.

Nothing in the story indicates that Robert was there when Lyanna was taken away, however that happened. Robert is obsessed with Lyanna and nothing about how he speaks about her indicated that she slighted him so blatantly as to tell him to his face that she didn't want to marry him.

42 minutes ago, Megorova said:

Ned and Robert were adult males, and soldiers/warriors, and not even Jon's relatives,

I really don't agree with this. Ned named his first son after Jon Arryn and he served as Roberts only father figure after Orys Baratheon died. Both Robert and Ned are deeply saddened by his death. Practically if not legally it seems pretty clear to me that Jon Arryn, Ned and Robert formed a pseudo-foster family. 

Asking a man to kill his own adopted sons, especially after you killed his heir is monstrous and immoral no matter their age.

50 minutes ago, Megorova said:

were women and little children, and blood of his blood - woman, that gave him life, and woman, that united her life with him, and gave him children.

You assume that Rhaegar was out to save the world no matter the cost right? So why should the Starks and their companions unwittingly pay such a big price in blood while Rhaegar gets off without making any sacrifices of his own? 

Normal I would think that Rhaegar not being willing to throw his loved ones on a pyre of wildfire is perfectly reasonable but you are arguing that other should gladly have done that. That is some double standards. More so are you are arguing that Jon Arryn was the one mostly responsible for the Rebellion for not killing his loved ones while you put Rhaegar as the leasts responsible.

1 hour ago, Megorova said:

Thus Jon's and Rhaegar's situations are uncomparable.

Yes and no.

Yes absolutely because Rhaegar was whole responsible for setting the events in motion, as crown prince was in a very powerful political position and assuming you are right, had all sorts of prophetic insights. Arryn has just had his heir murdered, the social order of the kingdom completely upended on him and as far as we know, has no idea of the prophecies that might be unfolding. Rhaegar has much more agency in this scenario making him much more responsible for the fallout he failed to manage. 

And no, how is killing boys you lover as your own sons or risking the life of your two children, wife and mother "uncomparable"? Both would be horrific and heartbreaking.

----------------------

Rhaegar might have insured that tPtWP is born but that does not absolve him the other consequences of his actions.

2 hours ago, Ylath's Snout said:

Targs have had multiple wives in the past.

In 7K there was only two Targaryens, that had more than one wife - Aegon I and his son Maegor I.

2 hours ago, Ylath's Snout said:

Assuming that nothing would happen when he slighted two of the most powerful families in the kingdom and while his deeply insane father was running the show is naive to a perplexing degree. Add to that the fact that Rhaegar did nothing to calm the situation afterwards and he just looks worse and worse as a person and potential future ruler. No letters or anything.

Possible scenario - Varys is grandson or great grandson of Calla Blackfyre and Aegor Bittersteel. He arrived to Westeros in 70s, to weaken 7K, and prepare ground for Sixth Rebellion of Blackfyres. He planned to cause civil war between Targaryens, by clashing Aerys and Rhaegar. He wanted one of them to kill the other, and then thru Invasion by Golden Company, would have killed the remaining Targaryen. Though Rhaegar was avoiding all of Varys' traps, and wasn't intending to rebel against his father. 

Then, shortly after birth of little Aegon, Rhaegar left 7K, and went away on some mission. Months later, he and Lyanna eloped. Rhaegar has sent message to his father to KL, informing him about his intention to marry with Lyanna. Lyanna also has sent message to her family, that were supposed to arrive to Riverrun for Cat's wedding.

Both messages were intercepted, at KL by Varys, and at Riverrun by Littlefinger. Petyr was one of Varys' little birds.

There were letters, though they haven't arrived to intended recipients.

• 1 month later...
On 6/23/2018 at 5:29 AM, Lee-Sensei said:

Eh? Robert hates the Targs.

Robert doesn't hate the Targs as everyone claims, he hated Rhegar for taking his prized possession. He was very pro Targ untill that moment, his father was half Targ and I'm sure his father told numerous storys to Robert as a child of the great accomplishments of both his houses. 

If he truly hated the Targs beyond reason he would have had Viserys murdered by the time of AGOT, sure he was known as the beggar king but Robert knew about him and Danny and did nothing until Danny married the greatest Khal of our time. 

The fact Robert still keeps the Dragon bones in the Red keeps basement shows IMO that Robert did infact fantasize about the Targs and Dragon riding like any kid would if dragons were real, Roberts greed and pride forced him to kill a man I guarentee before hand he at least respected. 

12 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

I’m actually curious as what Ned would have done with King Aerys. Would he imprison him? Exile him? Have him executed? Or better yet, personally execute Aerys?

He would have imprisoned him until Robert could make the judgement as would be his duty. 

17 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

I’m actually curious as what Ned would have done with King Aerys. Would he imprison him? Exile him? Have him executed? Or better yet, personally execute Aerys?

Ned doesn't dispute Robert when Robert says that someone had to kill Aerys, and that it would have been left to one of them had Jaime not done it.

"Seven hells, someone had to kill Aerys!" Robert said, reining his mount to a sudden halt beside an ancient barrow. "If Jaime hadn't done it, it would have been left for you or me."
"We were not Sworn Brothers of the Kingsguard," Ned said." (AGOT: Eddard II)

This may not conclusively prove that Ned might not have advocated another course, but executions seems likeliest. I think exile is completely out of the question. Imprisonment would have to be for strategic reasons, like when Bloodraven captured Daemon II Blackfyre. But not sure 1) Ned would advocate for that 2) Robert and his other counselors would agree to it.

17 hours ago, Stormking902 said:

Robert doesn't hate the Targs as everyone claims, he hated Rhegar for taking his prized possession. He was very pro Targ untill that moment, his father was half Targ and I'm sure his father told numerous storys to Robert as a child of the great accomplishments of both his houses. 

If he truly hated the Targs beyond reason he would have had Viserys murdered by the time of AGOT, sure he was known as the beggar king but Robert knew about him and Danny and did nothing until Danny married the greatest Khal of our time. 

The fact Robert still keeps the Dragon bones in the Red keeps basement shows IMO that Robert did infact fantasize about the Targs and Dragon riding like any kid would if dragons were real, Roberts greed and pride forced him to kill a man I guarentee before hand he at least respected. 

@Stormking902

The Robert Baratheon we meet at the beginning of AGOT in 298 AC does hate Targaryens, and has for a decade and a half, especially King Aerys's branch of the family, including their surviving remnants. Ned considers it a madness in him, remembering how Robert had justified the murder of Rhaegar's children back in 283 AC: "I see no babes. Only dragonspawn."

Both Robert (AGOT: Eddard II) and Renly (AGOT: Eddard VIII) lament that Jon Arryn had been able to persuade Robert years ago not to kill Viserys and Daenerys. This might have been around the time that Oberyn tried to raise Dorne for Viserys, and Jon sailed to Sunspear to sit down with Prince Doran and end talk of war, in the year after Robert took the throne.

Presumably, Doran was able to persuade Oberyn to delay war by revealing or formulating the secret pact to wed Arianne to Viserys, which Oberyn was sent to sign on behalf of Dorne while Willem Darry was still alive. Perhaps Jon was able to get Dorne to agree to acknowledge Robert and swear not to support Viserys in exchange for sparing the exiled surviving Targaryens.

It isn't clear at what point Robert's hatred for Rhaegar spread to Aerys and the rest of the family, but any nuance in his feelings towards different members of the royal family isn't likely to have survived word of Aerys's murder of Ned's and Jon's family members, together with his command that Jon execute Robert and Ned.

As for House Targaryen as a whole, or previous generations of House Targaryen, I suspect his feelings during and after the war were much different than his feelings before. Perhaps he was conflicted, perhaps he went back and forth on different days, or perhaps he just completely soured on all things Targaryen, but I don't think any love for them remained after the war.

It is ridiculous to blame Robert's killing of Rhaegar on greed and pride. He didn't revolt after Rhaegar named Lyanna the queen of love and beauty, or after Rhaegar allegedly abducted Lyanna. Only after Jon raised his own banners, after receiving word that Aerys had murdered his heir Elbert, Lord Rickard, and his heir Brandon, and Aerys's command to execute Robert and Ned, did Robert fight his way south to raise his own.

7 minutes ago, Bael's Bastard said:

@Stormking902

The Robert Baratheon we meet at the beginning of AGOT in 298 AC does hate Targaryens, and has for a decade and a half, especially King Aerys's branch of the family, including their surviving remnants. Ned considers it a madness in him, remembering how Robert had justified the murder of Rhaegar's children back in 283 AC: "I see no babes. Only dragonspawn."

Both Robert (AGOT: Eddard II) and Renly (AGOT: Eddard VIII) lament that Jon Arryn had been able to persuade Robert years ago not to kill Viserys and Daenerys. This might have been around the time that Oberyn tried to raise Dorne for Viserys, and Jon sailed to Sunspear to sit down with Prince Doran and end talk of war, in the year after Robert took the throne.

Presumably, Doran was able to persuade Oberyn to delay war by revealing or formulating the secret pact to wed Arianne to Viserys, which Oberyn was sent to sign on behalf of Dorne while Willem Darry was still alive. Perhaps Jon was able to get Dorne to agree to acknowledge Robert and swear not to support Viserys in exchange for sparing the exiled surviving Targaryens.

It isn't clear at what point Robert's hatred for Rhaegar spread to Aerys and the rest of the family, but any nuance in his feelings towards different members of the royal family isn't likely to have survived word of Aerys's murder of Ned's and Jon's family members, together with his command that Jon execute Robert and Ned.

As for House Targaryen as a whole, or previous generations of House Targaryen, I suspect his feelings during and after the war were much different than his feelings before. Perhaps he was conflicted, perhaps he went back and forth on different days, or perhaps he just completely soured on all things Targaryen, but I don't think any love for them remained after the war.

It is ridiculous to blame Robert's killing of Rhaegar on greed and pride. He didn't revolt after Rhaegar named Lyanna the queen of love and beauty, or after Rhaegar allegedly abducted Lyanna. Only after Jon raised his own banners, after receiving word that Aerys had murdered his heir Elbert, Lord Rickard, and his heir Brandon, and Aerys's command to execute Robert and Ned, did Robert fight his way south to raise his own.

Does Robert hate his grandmother? Does he hate the old king Jaehaerys Targaryan, or how about the dragon knight? Id say no Robert absolutly hates the "Remaining" Targs, the mad kings branch only though so Aerys, Rhegar, Viserys and Danny its illogical to hate anyone else. If Tywin didnt order the death of Rhegars children I believe they would be alive today because Roberts isnt evil and even though he would want them dead he wouldnt actually order there murders IMO. 

20 minutes ago, Stormking902 said:

Does Robert hate his grandmother? Does he hate the old king Jaehaerys Targaryan, or how about the dragon knight? Id say no Robert absolutly hates the "Remaining" Targs, the mad kings branch only though so Aerys, Rhegar, Viserys and Danny its illogical to hate anyone else. If Tywin didnt order the death of Rhegars children I believe they would be alive today because Roberts isnt evil and even though he would want them dead he wouldnt actually order there murders IMO. 

I don't think we have much of an indication of how 283 AC-298 AC Robert felt about previous generations of Targaryens. And while it may have been interesting to know how that Robert felt about past Targaryens, he doesn't demonstrate much care or reverence for the house, and expresses a desire to wipe out their last remnants.

"I will kill every Targaryen I can get my hands on, until they are as dead as their dragons, and then I will piss on their graves." (AGOT: Eddard II)

"Whereas Daenerys is a fourteen-year-old girl." Ned knew he was pushing this well past the point of wisdom, yet he could not keep silent. "Robert, I ask you, what did we rise against Aerys Targaryen for, if not to put an end to the murder of children?"
"To put an end to Targaryens!" the king growled. (AGOT: Eddard VIII)

I agree that Robert probably could have been convinced to spare Aegon and Rhaenys, and I could even see Ned pleading with Robert to let him take them as wards/hostages in Winterfell, where they would be far removed from those who would fill their heads with ambition, or try to convince them to claim their birthrights.

Keeping the children and Elia alive would have prevented much of Dorne's hostility towards Robert and his regime, which came of his condoning their murder, and would have removed any reason for them to support Aerys's surviving children, to whom they have only a distant relation.

Had Tywin's people not murdered Elia and her children, Robert really could have secured Dorne's support with the understanding that Rhaenys would be raised to eventually wed his heir, so that even though Elia would never be queen and Aegon would never be king, their Rhaenys would be queen, and her children would sit the Iron Throne.

I am sure Tywin was aware of and wanted to prevent any such possibility, however likely or unlikely. He might have even viewed a living Elia as a threat to tie the Martells to Robert, however likely or unlikely.

3 hours ago, Bael's Bastard said:

Ned doesn't dispute Robert when Robert says that someone had to kill Aerys, and that it would have been left to one of them had Jaime not done it.

This may not conclusively prove that Ned might not have advocated another course, but executions seems likeliest. I think exile is completely out of the question. Imprisonment would have to be for strategic reasons, like when Bloodraven captured Daemon II Blackfyre. But not sure 1) Ned would advocate for that 2) Robert and his other counselors would agree to it.

So if Aerys was to be executed, would the King’s justice have done it? Or would Ned or Robert do it personally?

1 hour ago, Angel Eyes said:

So if Aerys was to be executed, would the King’s justice have done it? Or would Ned or Robert do it personally?

If it was determined that Aerys was to be executed, I think Ned would have volunteered to do it himself, and I think Robert is the only person he would have accepted doing it other than himself. If Robert chose not to do it himself, I think Ned would have insisted on being given the responsibility.

Archived