"And the laughter erupted behind him"

Leonardo

After Tyrion leaves Tywin's dinner tent, after informing him through Kevan he would serve in the vanguard UNDER the Mountain, hia lords laugh as Tyrion walks away...

Why would Tywin allow this? Why was Tyrion effectively sent to die instead of holding a place of honor in the command as Tywin's son?

What do you mean why, its because Tywin hated him. When the Mountain Clans insisted that Tyrion fight on the front lines with them, Tywin probably thought the Gods had finally answered his prayers. He finally had an opportunity to let Tyrion die without setting himself up as a kinslayer. 

I'm less concerned with that as I am that they openly laughed about it- why would Tywin allow anyone to laugh at his son? Isn't his family's honor everything, their respect?

It seemed out of character for me

12 minutes ago, Leonardo said:

I'm less concerned with that as I am that they openly laughed about it- why would Tywin allow anyone to laugh at his son? Isn't his family's honor everything, their respect?

Unreliable Pov my friend  its grmms bread and butter..we forget despite his vast intellegence tryion is as likely to have bias warp his pov as sansa!!! I mean he totaly misses for example the fact tywin giving him position as hand is both a huge honour and sign of some trust

The men were probably having a laugh,tywin isnt much for laughter  but id highly doubt hes banned it among his bannermen and kin....they were probably in high spirits drinking and laughing about the comming victory tyrion just assumes its about him despite the fact we know tywin wouldnt allow such a thing.

29 minutes ago, Leonardo said:

You said it yourself, Tyrion hears them laughing as he walks away. One of my favourite things about this book series is the unreliable narration, each characters have their own biases and opinions about things which is something we don't normally get to see in other books. 

The men might have been laughing at something else and Tyrion just assumed they were laughing at him. Or they where actually laughing at him but Tywin silenced them straight away with a glare, but at that point Tyrion had already walked off. It might have also been nervous laughter, like they where unsure if they should laugh or not. There are so many options here. 

They were laughing about something else. There is no reason to believe that the laughter was about or directed towards Tyrion. Just because Tyrion thinks their eyes are on his back doesn't mean that they are.

"Lord Tywin inclined his head, dismissing him. Tyrion turned and walked away. He was conscious of their eyes on his back as he waddled down the hill. A great gust of laughter went up from behind him, but he did not look back. He hoped they all choked on their suckling pigs."

14 hours ago, Leonardo said:

After Tyrion leaves Tywin's dinner tent, after informing him through Kevan he would serve in the vanguard UNDER the Mountain, hia lords laugh as Tyrion walks away...

Why would Tywin allow this? Why was Tyrion effectively sent to die instead of holding a place of honor in the command as Tywin's son?

It's surprising that Tyrion did not know that he would be in the van. The wildlings are his army, so he shouldn't be willing to hand them over to someone else. And Tywin is not going to fill the van with his own men if he has disposable wildlings to spare. Tywin, in fact, does give Tyrion a way out, but it was a poisoned offer:

"If my son's men will not obey his commands, perhaps the vanguard is not the place for him. No doubt he would be more comfortable in the rear, guarding our baggage train."

My guess is that the laughter came when one of the bannermen made a joke contrasting Tyrion with the Mountain, so it's not like Tywin could disallow it once it had been said.

From Tywin's perspective, it was Tyrion who showed up at camp with an army at his back. If Tyrion wants to play at soldier, Tywin will oblige, and mayhaps even rid himself of the monstrosity that the gods cursed him with to teach him humility.

Tywin's a weird guy. He'll start a war to defend the honor of the family, even for a son he loathes and wishes dead, but has no problem debasing him as long as he is the one doing it. Even the gift of the Handship was tainted with his sneer about Tyrion possessing some "low cunning" or something to that effect. It is fully possible that Tywin made a cutting remark at Tyrion's expense and the assembled lords and knights laughed heartily out of courtesy as well as cruelty and mirth.

Or maybe somebody just farted. We'll never know.

On 8/3/2018 at 2:26 AM, Leonardo said:

I'm not sure about Tywin's motivation, but I have a couple of ideas about the author's craft. 

Your thread caused me to connect Tyrion walking away with the scene where Ser Barristan walks away from Joffrey and the court, having just been dismissed from the King's Guard. The reasons for walking away are different - Tyrion is being sent into the teeth of battle and Ser Barristan is dishonored as "too old" to be an effective guard - but both men feel humiliated by their treatment and both end up vindicating themselves by outwitting those who laugh. It would be interesting to do a close reading of the two scenes to look for other, overlapping details, if any.

Also, Tyrion is super hungry as he approaches Tywin's tent, if I recall correctly, but he leaves without eating anything. I think there may be wordplay on "laughter" and "slaughter," and the pig carcasses in the tent are part of the butcher motif that constantly puts slaughtered meat into the scenery of ASOIAF. The point may be that highborn people in Westeros have forgotten that the slaughter of war is horrible (or they don't care as long as the victims of slaughter are lowborn or from the mountain clans) so laughter and slaughter are the same thing for them. They don't care about the implications of the potential slaughter of Tyrion and his army. 

Archived