U.S. Politics: Covfefe Boys

Martell Spy

Wow, this is a gamechanger.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/24/politics/allen-weisselberg-immunity-cohen-investigation/index.html

A lawyer for the Trump Organization, Trump's legal team and a spokesperson for the US attorneys office declined to comment. Weisselberg did not respond to the Journal's request for comment. Weisselberg, whose relationship with Trump dates back decades, is also the treasurer of Trump's charity, helped prepared Trump's tax returns and is the only non-family member to serve as trustee of the trust that holds the President's interest in his own companies.

He was subpoenaed last month to testify as part of the ongoing criminal investigation into Trump's former attorney Michael Cohen, the Journal reported.
At the time, a former Trump Organization employee told CNN that Weisselberg being subpoenaed was the "ultimate nightmare scenario for Trump" because Weisselberg knows "anything and everything" about the finances of the Trump Organization.
"Allen knows where all the financial bodies are buried. Allen knows every deal, he knows every dealership, he knows every sale, anything and everything that's been done -- he knows every membership. Anything you can think of," said the person, who was not making any specific allegations about the Trump Organization's finances.

This is going to hurt real bad. I don't believe in a successful impeachment, but could Trump go to jail after leaving the presidency? This would be a first in US history, right? 
Resignation becomes credible. If the Dems take the House, the pressure will be considerable. Some articles of impeachment will probably be voted, even if the Senate is highly unlikely to convict and remove him.

37 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/24/politics/allen-weisselberg-immunity-cohen-investigation/index.html

This is going to hurt real bad. I don't believe in a successful impeachment, but could Trump go to jail after leaving the presidency? This would be a first in US history, right? 
Resignation becomes credible. If the Dems take the House, the pressure will be considerable. Some articles of impeachment will probably be voted, even if the Senate is highly unlikely to convict and remove him.

Again, it’s just related to Cohens crimes. Very limited immunity. Not the downfall of Trump since Congress hasn’t even acknowledged the actions.

32 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Yes, I think resignation is a likely outcome. One, he is indeed facing a felony conviction. Resigning is the only way to be sure of having Pence there to pardon him. If he runs and loses, then a Democrat is President.

Two, Mueller may present a deal involving resignation. Especially if he takes a Trump kid.

Of course this all means we just entered a dangerous time period. 

How do you stay married to a guy who does that?'

Hill Republicans are appalled by Rep. Duncan Hunter, who is facing indictment, blaming his wife.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/08/24/duncan-hunter-indictment-wife-congress-republicans-795710

And his wife? Well, this whole thing is really her fault.

“She handled my finances throughout my entire military career, and that continued on when I got to Congress,” Hunter told Fox News host Martha MacCallum late Thursday, referring to his spouse Margaret, who was also indicted by the FBI Wednesday: "She was also the campaign manager so whatever she did, that’ll be looked at too, I’m sure, but I didn’t do it.”

2 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

How do you stay married to a guy who does that?'

Hill Republicans are appalled by Rep. Duncan Hunter, who is facing indictment, blaming his wife.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/08/24/duncan-hunter-indictment-wife-congress-republicans-795710

Folded like a cheap suit. His intestinal fortitude is both awesome and terrifying.

Ironically, his supporters could probably forgive this moron for the alleged corruption waaay more easily than for narcing on his own wife.

:lmao:

4 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

So in a sense, we actually dodged a bullet when GWB won the nomination in 2000?

I doubt that.

I'm not sure what a hypothetical McCain presidency would be in comparison to Dubya.  What I am sure of is he would have brought fire and brimstone upon at least half the world after 9/11 that woulda made Cheney blush.

14 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Another thing. The Cohen not cooperating thing was kind of weird. One possible explanation is that Mueller didn't need him. Possibly due to other cooperators.

Or he doesn’t know anything having to do with Russia.

13 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Folded like a cheap suit. His intestinal fortitude is both awesome and terrifying.

Ironically, his supporters could probably forgive this moron for the alleged corruption waaay more easily than for narcing on his own wife.

But since the wife is his property in their eyes doesn't that also make him liable?

I get confused by the lower orders.

8 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Or he doesn’t know anything having to do with Russia.

I think Cohen both is cooperating and probably does know something about Russia - at least as much as there is to know.  Wouldn't worry too much about the reliability of reports.  His statement in court says it all.

I am sick of all the winning.

Trump Just Admitted That North Korea Isn’t Actually Denuclearizing

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/08/president-trump-cancels-pompeos-north-korea-trip.html

In a series of tweets Friday afternoon, Trump announced that he had cancelled Pompeo’s impending trip to North Korea, because “because I feel we are not making sufficient progress with respect to the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.” Notably, Trump attributed this lack of progress to China — rather than to Kim’s regime — arguing that Beijing had ceased “helping with the process of denuclearization,” in an apparent response to the administration’s “tougher Trading stance.”

5 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/08/president-trump-cancels-pompeos-north-korea-trip.html

I'm trying to think of a worthy foreign adversary for Trump.  From what I recall from Tropic Thunder, the head villain was an adolescent.  But no, he was way too shrewd comparatively.  Perhaps Lollys' child - Tyrion Tanner.  That may be a fair fight.

32 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

But since the wife is his property in their eyes doesn't that also make him liable?

I get confused by the lower orders.

I think the correct concept is "Help Mate".  If I interpret the teachings of Dennis Prager correctly, she commits to being willing source of moist friction when so commanded; he commits to not knocking her around so bad she has bruises the neighbors can see.

It's a symbiotic relationship really.

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

This is a guy who (part of) the corruption is a 600$ rabbit airplane ride and 2000$ in steam games (among hundreds or thousands of of campaign money infractions).

31 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

This is the point in the conversation where I'm tempted to say..."Something, something schadenfreude."

I remember having a conversation over several pints with an old friend just after the inauguration.  We were smug as hell the two of us, more or less finishing each others sentences about the gaggle of idiots and used car salesmen who just got swept into power.  Then it occurred to me,

"Those Trump supporters cult members; about 40% of the voting populace; the ones who feel disgruntled or disenfranchised for one reason or another; the ones who just rage-voted a sack of toxic waste into power; how are they going to react when all this goes down in flames?  Which way are they going to jump?  Does a failed Trump presidency lay the ground for something even more extreme?

Rudy Giuliani was quoted recently saying a Trump impeachment would result in violence.  As much as I enjoy watching Giuliani burn his reputation to ash, he might have half a point there.

40 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

"Those Trump supporters cult members; about 40% of the voting populace; the ones who feel disgruntled or disenfranchised for one reason or another; the ones who just rage-voted a sack of toxic waste into power; how are they going to react when all this goes down in flames?  Which way are they going to jump?  Does a failed Trump presidency lay the ground for something even more extreme?

Rudy Giuliani was quoted recently saying a Trump impeachment would result in violence.  As much as I enjoy watching Giuliani burn his reputation to ash, he might have half a point there.

I think it's no more than a quarter of a point (i.e. the chance of any serious disturbance is less than 25%). Things might have been different had Trump cultivated and encouraged a certain faction of his base, but he has barely given them scraps and it's rather late to start now.

And yes, the danger is not so much Trump as what comes afterwards. Trump has a great deal invested in the current system and a comprehensive overhaul is not likely to work out in his favor. However, this may not be the case for future populists. The Democrats will get their turn, but after that...

Archived