Rhom

College Basketball 2018-2019: A star studded season

UCLA lost at home to Belmont this weekend by 1.  They actually played OK other than going 12-28 on free throws.  At home.

Right now they're down 17 at half @ Cincinnati thanks to a bankshot three at the buzzer otherwise they'd be down 20.  Not looking good at all.  Expectations were pretty high this year.  Very bad loss to Michigan State and less bad but still a loss going away to UNC and now this.  They have Ohio State this weekend.  Gamblers might want to look for some value betting against the Bruins. 

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

UCLA lost at home to Belmont this weekend by 1.  They actually played OK other than going 12-28 on free throws.  At home.

Right now they're down 17 at half @ Cincinnati thanks to a bankshot three at the buzzer otherwise they'd be down 20.  Not looking good at all.  Expectations were pretty high this year.  Very bad loss to Michigan State and less bad but still a loss going away to UNC and now this.  They have Ohio State this weekend.  Gamblers might want to look for some value betting against the Bruins. 

F’ing Belmont!  Buncha Johnny Come Latelys to the OVC and have been a thorn in Murray States side ever since.  Team full of smart white kids who shoot threes at an alarming pace.  Year in and year out.

Man, WVU is just bad this year.  I've watched every game available in my area so far this year (probably like 7 or so) in the hopes that I'd see the light starting to come on as the conference schedule approaches.  It hasn't.  Can't score, can't play D, no leadership.  Since I am a masochist I will continue watching but I expect that we have a number of terrible beatings in store.

Not looking forward to conference play, we will be hanging out in the cellar with Baylor.  NCAA tournament hopes are already fading.  I'm afraid this team is just going to have to take their licks and come back older and more experienced next year.

23 hours ago, Rhom said:

F’ing Belmont!  Buncha Johnny Come Latelys to the OVC and have been a thorn in Murray States side ever since.  Team full of smart white kids who shoot threes at an alarming pace.  Year in and year out.

I watched the whole game, and other than UCLA's atrocious free throw shooting UCLA played fine.  Belmont played extremely crisp, virtually mistake-free basketball to give themselves a chance.  They got off to a slow start from outside but never got down by too much and started to hit more from deep down the stretch.   And the game-winning bucket was a nasty back door cut where Hands knew he got got and tried to grab the guy like a DB in football thinking the PI is the least bad option.  

If it was just that game I'd say it was an acceptable loss because of how solid Belmont was and just said there's a lot of work at the free throw line to be done.

But then they got hammered by Cincinnati last night (ended up losing by 29).  That's fairly disgraceful.  And they have tOSU coming up.  They're going to go through the pre-season with Notre Dame as their only win of note.  They are quite talented too.  Nothing like a Duke, of course, with multiple super stars.  But they have 9 or so guys that are big time D1 bodies or skill players that were expected to get playing time for any program coming out.  Size and depth.  

It's actually looking all of the sudden like the opportunity to get rid of Alford that must be seized unless there's a major turnaround.  

9 hours ago, Triskele said:

It's actually looking all of the sudden like the opportunity to get rid of Alford that must be seized unless there's a major turnaround.  

If y'all end up flopping out and missing the Tournament (or even just squeaking in) that's got to be it for him, right? He's gotten so many chances.

Edited by Ferrum Aeternum

12 hours ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

If y'all end up flopping out and missing the Tournament (or even just squeaking in) that's got to be it for him, right? He's gotten so many chances.

Oh, I would be very confident he'd be canned if they missed the tourney altogether.  And that feels like it's on the table right now.  They have virtually no quality wins in pre-season other than Notre Dame and their RPI'ish thing is just like 48 or thereabouts right now. 

Before the Lonzo Ball / TJ Leaf year it was widely understood that he had to have a big year to save his job.  Well, they actually did.  Had a great regular season, got screwed on their draw and had to play D'Aaron Fox in the Sweet 16 instead of the Elite 8 and lost, but it was a good year.  

But they've gone back to more or less shite since then and had a really embarrassing play-in game loss last year and are losing to Cincy by halftime.  

I swear what makes it even worse is that they're one of the so-called blue bloods, but it's not even really much of a national story.  If Duke, Carolina, Kansas, or Kentucky was losing play-in games and losing to Cincinnati by halftime it would be news.  But with UCLA it's not really.  They are struggling for relevance.  

Time to start looking at who the intriguing coaches are out there.  Could they steal Musselman from Nevada? 

1 minute ago, Triskele said:

Time to start looking at who the intriguing coaches are out there.  Could they steal Musselman from Nevada? 

Surely he would make that move. There are a lot of great coaches out there. 

Honestly the Alford situation feels a lot like Crean at Indiana. Mediocre coach at a big name program that should be doing better for itself. 

4 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Surely he would make that move. There are a lot of great coaches out there. 

Honestly the Alford situation feels a lot like Crean at Indiana. Mediocre coach at a big name program that should be doing better for itself. 

I hope that Tom Crean has said thank you to Dwayne Wade.  

11 hours ago, Triskele said:

Before the Lonzo Ball / TJ Leaf year it was widely understood that he had to have a big year to save his job.  Well, they actually did.  Had a great regular season, got screwed on their draw and had to play D'Aaron Fox in the Sweet 16 instead of the Elite 8 and lost, but it was a good year.  

That was the worst draw I can remember.   There could have been a real argument that UNC, UK, and UCLA were the three best teams going into that tournament and they all wound up in the same bracket.  :bang: 

And UNC should have lost to Arkansas if that ref hadn't bailed them out.

Speaking of Kentucky and Carolina... I do not have a good feeling about later today.  :( 

Rough loss to Marquette. A loss on its own wouldn't be too terrible, its hard to win tough back-to-back road games like this; but losing by that much in the second half does not look good.

Unless Marquette is secretly amazing; and they might be, this is there 3rd top-15 win or something like that.

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

That was the worst draw I can remember.   There could have been a real argument that UNC, UK, and UCLA were the three best teams going into that tournament and they all wound up in the same bracket.  :bang: 

And UNC should have lost to Arkansas if that ref hadn't bailed them out.

And that year Oregon and UCLA had virtually identical resumes.  Oregon got a 1 seed and made it to playing UNC in the Final Four but UCLA got a 3 seed with a tough 2 in their bracket.  Brutal.  

What that year suggested about Alford was that perhaps he could save himself with great recruiting as happened that year.  But that was kind of the expectation for this year too....that he's had two good classes in a row and needs a big year.  But this year is looking nothing like the Ball / Leaf year.

They play tOSU today, and it's about as big of a must win as one could have in the pre-season as thy really need a quality win.  I'm not expecting a win.  

3 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Nope.

Wow, I can't believe how badly I misremembered that.  Well, I'd say that Oregon also got screwed by being 3 seed that year, and I suspect KU feels the same.  

They were a 1 seed the year before but lost to Buddy's OU team.  

ETA:  and UCLA promptly loses to tOSU.  7-5 on the year.  Ouch.

Edited by Triskele

Had to juggle my schools on multiple devices.  Murray v Auburn was a great game. Ja Morant went for 25-8-7.  Racers went scoreless for almost 7 minutes in the second half though.  Can’t do that and expect to win.

Then what can I say about the Cats?!!? Helluva game and Ashton Hagans dominated it with his defense.  I was afraid we might go 0-3 in the [email protected]@Bama stretch; but now I have hope for the season.

Lets go!

10 hours ago, Rhom said:

That's very impressive.  Props to the creator.  

So sorry y'all to post about UCLA yet again, but they just lost at home to Liberty by 15.  Try if you can to imagine Duke or UNC or KU or UK losing at home to Belmont and to Liberty at home.  What a spectacular embarrassment.  I reiterate that it's actually paradoxically a story how much this is not even a story.  If this happened to any other one of those programs it would be an SI cover story and at UCLA y'all are mercifully spared of the whole thing but for me.  

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

That's very impressive.  Props to the creator.  

So sorry y'all to post about UCLA yet again, but they just lost at home to Liberty by 15.  Try if you can to imagine Duke or UNC or KU or UK losing at home to Belmont and to Liberty at home.  What a spectacular embarrassment.  I reiterate that it's actually paradoxically a story how much this is not even a story.  If this happened to any other one of those programs it would be an SI cover story and at UCLA y'all are mercifully spared of the whole thing but for me.  

I know the opinion of Bruins Nation... but what will really happen?  Alford get canned or no?

39 minutes ago, Rhom said:

@Triskele May have an answer!

There's a an article on the bruins nation blog that suggests he's lost the team and the players don't like him.  Something like that has to be going on because seriously Liberty.  At home.  By 15.  And losing to Cincinnati by 29.  And Belmont.  

Alford actually has gone to the Sweet 16 three times in his time there which at first sounds kinda OK.  One of those was in unlikely run as a 10 seed or something after a disappointing regular season.  Another was the Kyle Anderson team that was really solid and kind of the holdover of the Howland era.  Then there's the Ball/Leaf year where you could argue that was a disappointment to not make it deeper albeit with the tough draw.  But if you're really a special program you should live in the sweet 16 and get further somewhat often and never be losing to St. Bonaventure in a play-in game.  Ever.  

Assuming he's done it's interesting to get another glimpse of what the world thinks of the job.  Because last time it was a bit humbling that Brad Stevens and Shaka Smart didn't even seem to have any interest.