Professional Wrestling: Irish War Painting II

Samsaptakas

1 hour ago, Joe Pesci said:

True, but most of the grumbling I've seen doesn't involve that. It's more that Vince is a piece of shit (everyone already knows this so I don't see it being particularly relevant) for laying people off at the moment. End of story. That's not a valid reason to be super pissed that a small fraction of mostly unused talent got laid off, and most are rumored to have received nice sized departing payoffs as well. I hate to see anyone losing their job during these times, but who's actually surprised at shady moves by billion dollar companies anymore?

I mean it's definitely a bad look for a billion dollar company to very publicly fire performers that many fans like in the midst of a pandemic.  I don't think showing support for those people is a bad thing even if a lot of other non-famous people have lost their jobs too.  

Nobody should lose their jobs in a time like this and it's a massive failure of our government that so many people have and that a good chunk of them won't have their jobs back when this is all over.

3 hours ago, briantw said:

I mean it's definitely a bad look for a billion dollar company to very publicly fire performers that many fans like in the midst of a pandemic.  I don't think showing support for those people is a bad thing even if a lot of other non-famous people have lost their jobs too.  

Nobody should lose their jobs in a time like this and it's a massive failure of our government that so many people have and that a good chunk of them won't have their jobs back when this is all over.

I don't disagree with any of this. They always put out something when talent is released, so if they didn't this time, imagine how much worse the backlash would be than it already is. They'd be accused of trying to cover up the fact that they laid people off. It's really a no-win situation all around for the company and the employees, but the vitriol I've seen is a bit much IMO. Showing support for the wrestlers is a positive thing, but spewing typical internet hate shit is not. The latter is what I've seen the most of unfortunately, but not unexpectedly.

Non-wrestling related, but since I've got you, have you heard anything on the OBJ to Minnesota scuttlebutt?

Non-wrestling related, but since I've got you, have you heard anything on the OBJ to Minnesota scuttlebutt?

All indications are it was complete horse shit.  Schefter said there's no legs to it and that OBJ is not on the block and the Browns themselves commented and said they have no intention of trading him.  I think they literally just posted a video of him unboxing his new jersey on their Twitter.

I also can't imagine them trading OBJ for way less than what Minnesota just got for Diggs when OBJ is better than Diggs.

Showing support for the wrestlers is a positive thing, but spewing typical internet hate shit is not. The latter is what I've seen the most of unfortunately, but not unexpectedly.

The "IWC" has been at the forefront of spewing typical internet hate and outrage for over twenty years now.  Actually I got into posting on internet discussion boards back ~1998 and experienced it back then.  So it's hardly shocking that's going to be the case whenever Vince does something particularly assholic.

• 2 months later...

I watched a full Raw for the first time in almost 20 years... 

Know how I know wrestling is lame now?  There’s a huge dude who’s terrifying finishing move is a Full Nelson...

• 3 weeks later...

My son wants to get the PPV this weekend.  What’s a guy with ATTNow as his streaming service do to get it?

Is it just easiest time get the WWE app on my Roku?  If I subscribe, does it get me the PPV or do I have to pay an individual fee?

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

Is it just easiest time get the WWE app on my Roku?  If I subscribe, does it get me the PPV or do I have to pay an individual fee?

I don't have Roku, but if the app gets you WWE Network, then you'll be able to watch any "PPV."  I wouldn't even call them pay per views anymore, you're technically just paying for the network.

5 hours ago, DMC said:

I don't have Roku, but if the app gets you WWE Network, then you'll be able to watch any "PPV."  I wouldn't even call them pay per views anymore, you're technically just paying for the network.

Good to know.  Thanks.

8 hours ago, Rhom said:

Good to know.  Thanks.

Literally for ten bucks a month you get not only new PPVs, but access to every WWE PPV, WCW PPV, and ECW PPV (there might be some omitted, but still) ever.  Plus a shitload of other content like old Raw and Smackdown episodes, NXT episodes and Takeovers, and plenty of other stuff as well.

As someone who isn't much of a WWE fan and thinks Vince has been running the company into the ground for over a decade, WWE Network is actually a really good deal if you like wrestling.  I sign up for it sporadically when I'm feeling nostalgic, or just want to watch a particular modern PPV.  Not currently signed up, but no doubt will be again in the future.

Edited by briantw

2 hours ago, briantw said:

thinks Vince has been running the company into the ground for over a decade

Just a decade?  C'mon.

But yeah, the Network is quite worth it - if you want to get all nostalgic.  I got it for a year.  After that, I had my fill and canceled.

20 hours ago, DMC said:

Just a decade?  C'mon.

But yeah, the Network is quite worth it - if you want to get all nostalgic.  I got it for a year.  After that, I had my fill and canceled.

I said over a decade!  

I basically stopped watching right around the end of the Attitude Era and only started again within the past five years or so after signing up for the Network back when it was relatively new to watch old PPVs from my childhood.  I heard some good things about NXT and happened to catch the Takeover where Kevin Owens debuted, Zayn won the NXT title, and then Owens obliterated him to close out the show.  Hooked me in.  

A shame the main roster has been so goddamn terrible for so long, because NXT really shows how smart at least some people behind the scenes are, and how talented the wrestlers can be when allowed to just go out there and work instead of being fed godawful story lines by an seventy year old man who has completely lost touch with what modern fans want.

3 minutes ago, briantw said:

I basically stopped watching right around the end of the Attitude Era

Yeah I stopped watching shortly after Vince bought WCW.  Part of that was just cuz of life, but Austin was on his last legs, Michaels wasn't back yet, Foley was pretty much done, and Rock already had one foot out the door.  They had so much talent upon that purchase (and even before when Benoit/Guerrero et al. quit) - as they do now - but he just squanders it.

I just signed up for the WWE Network within the last week, mainly to watch old PPV's.  I have watched the Royal Rumbles from 2001, and then 2004-2007.  A few notes.

1. It's really, really hard to watch Chris Benoit.  I adored that guy when I watched him during the Attitude Era, as he grew up in the same area that I did, so there was always that hometown pride thing.  I just cringe now every time I see him do his diving headbutt, or take a chair shot, or any head shot, knowing now what atrocities he would commit later.   I also watched "The Dark Side of Wrestling" episodes on him, and felt sick to my stomach for a day afterwards.

2. I was shocked that one of the Rumbles had HBK and Undertaker as the final two combatants.  I heard those two had a couple of phenomenal Wrestlemania matches several years later, so I will definitely need to watch that.

3. I don't get what the WWE was going for in making The Great Khali a monster heel.  Can that guy do anything beyond chop, slap, head butt, or do a Power Bomb while standing up?  Has he ever been on the receiving end of an actual wrestling move like a suplex?  His participation in the 2007 Rumble was sooooo bad.

16 hours ago, Rubicante said:

3. I don't get what the WWE was going for in making The Great Khali a monster heel.  Can that guy do anything beyond chop, slap, head butt, or do a Power Bomb while standing up?  Has he ever been on the receiving end of an actual wrestling move like a suplex?  His participation in the 2007 Rumble was sooooo bad.

Vince has always had an obsession with giant dudes who can't wrestle.  He still does.  If you're 6'6" or taller and can walk to the ring, you're probably going to be WWE champion at some point.

Edited by briantw

24 minutes ago, briantw said:

Vince has always had an obsession with giant dudes who can't wrestle.

Remember Giant Gonzalez?  Dude could barely get down the aisle.  Then of course Andre who Vince continued to use even after he had trouble simply moving.

Alright... as awful as the pre-filmed "Swamp Fight" between Stroman and Wyatt on the PPV was; I have got to give credit to the pre-filmed Bar Fight last night on Smackdown.  Jeff Hardy vs Seamus in an empty Orlando bar was awesome.  Seeing an old Jeff Hardy climb a ladder to drop a swonton bomb on a bare concrete floor to finish him off (while somehow getting some Crow era Sting make up in the middle of the fight) was pretty awesome.