Star Wars Thread: I KNOW WHAT THAT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jace, Extat

1 minute ago, karaddin said:

I think the other issue that has shown up in this thread is some people with knowledge of some posters wider posting habits have made inferences about what their real issue with the movie was and other posters have seen that without awareness of said posting habits and felt that it was leaping to conclusions about that poster on the basis of only comments in this thread.

Yeah, I do think that's an issue.  If not here for myself, I am definitely guilty of that elsewhere.  I'm not sure how I feel about that.  I don't think prior knowledge and anticipation should be a bad thing, but then again you should take someone at their word.  Another question for the philosophers.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Yeah, I do think that's an issue.  If not here for myself, I am definitely guilty of that elsewhere.  I'm not sure how I feel about that.  I don't think prior knowledge and anticipation should be a bad thing, but then again you should take someone at their word.  Another question for the philosophers.

Taking someone at their word runs into problems when their entire shtick is bad faith argumentation by way of rejecting their actual feelings while expressing arguments that support those feelings because its more compelling if its coming from a supposedly unbiased source. And yeah this seems a little involved for something as silly as pop culture but this problem as generally infected all discussions of all issues in most online spaces. Its an evolution of concern trolling. So when someone tries to claim distance from bigoted opinions but consistently plays devils advocate for political policies associated with bigoted opinions, and is consistently negative on every piece of pop culture that attempts to portray diversity in a way that reflects the real word while framing it as "serious issues with the work"...I just have to call bullshit on that, because buying into that disingenuous framing hands them a win straight off the bat.

Mind you openly unloading in the way that looks like you're being unreasonable to 3rd parties also gives them a different sort of win. And attempting to drag in their history to show that this is knowledge of them not an overreaction on this specific case also hands them a win. Counteracting propaganda is hard so if I'm going to see them win I'd rather at least call out the bullshit on the way. 

And yeah this seems a little involved for something as silly as pop culture but this problem as generally infected all discussions of all issues in most online spaces.

Yup.  What I'm saying is when it comes to other topics beyond politics I'll be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt...until they betray that.  I don't want every thread to devolve into a political debate, and most of the time that's avoidable.

4 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Mind you openly unloading in the way that looks like you're being unreasonable to 3rd parties also gives them a different sort of win. And attempting to drag in their history to show that this is knowledge of them not an overreaction on this specific case also hands them a win. Counteracting propaganda is hard so if I'm going to see them win I'd rather at least call out the bullshit on the way. 

I think that's changing.  Fast enough?  Of course not.  But a lot faster than it has for a long time.  Could quote King or Weber here and be lame, but let's just say progress takes a long a time.

On 2/25/2019 at 10:17 AM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Yeah, Jar Jar at worst is an annoying character, that’s looney antics mainly coalesced in one film. Its concept isn’t such a crime that the actor playing it should be disparaged over the point of being depressed to the point of being suicidal. 

16 minutes ago, DMC said:

And my point is either show some sympathy or don't respond at all

I clearly showed sympathy. You missed it apparently.

1 minute ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I clearly showed sympathy. You missed it apparently.

Yes, I certainly did missed it.  Just looked over page 19 of this thread.  First off, it was another reminder this thread is old and I'm not sure why you revived it.  Secondly, I do not see a single instance of you showing sympathy.  So, you're wrong.

42 minutes ago, karaddin said:

And it doesnt help avoid that impression when those that didn't like it for other reasons insult those that did simply for liking it - I'm pretty sure you've done that and I know Jace has done it and I sure as fuck don't think either of you are nazis, it just matches the tone those fucks set.

m.

The people who do that are acting rather pretentious. I personally don’t like the movie. I would however never call someone wrong or an idiot for liking it. 

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yup.  What I'm saying is when it comes to other topics beyond politics I'll be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt...until they betray that.  I don't want every thread to devolve into a political debate, and most of the time that's avoidable.

Fair enough. I'm mostly just exhausted of arguing with douches about something when its pointless since their opinion isn't based in anything that can be swayed. I normally just try stay out of it completely for the most part and only get dragged in when its 3rd parties assuming someone that takes the bait is being unreasonable.

2 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

The people who do that are acting rather pretentious. I personally don’t like the movie. I would however never call someone wrong or an idiot for liking it. 

Not necessarily pretentious, some of them are just abrasive (whether sincerely or as an online persona doesn't really matter). I'd put both the people I specifically mentioned in that category, its the only reason I felt comfortable mentioning them because it wasn't meant to be a call out. Just an acknowledgement that certain other things can wind up feeding into the same overall tone through no ill intent of their own.

29 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Its been patchy - there was a block of like 5-10 pages in the prior thread that felt pretty hostile to a positive view of the movie but on the whole I do think its reasonably open. I think the other issue that has shown up in this thread is some people with knowledge of some posters wider posting habits have made inferences about what their real issue with the movie was and other posters have seen that without awareness of said posting habits and felt that it was leaping to conclusions about that poster on the basis of only comments in this thread. /vagueexplanation

Yeah, when someone in a MAGA hat starts screaming about Star Wars, well...

I'm mostly just exhausted of arguing with douches about something when its pointless since their opinion isn't based in anything that can be swayed. I normally just try stay out of it completely for the most part and only get dragged in when its 3rd parties assuming someone that takes the bait is being unreasonable.

I agree with this when it comes to anything but politics.  If you're arguing about entertainment, or art, in any way, that's just stupid.  There are plenty of examples of this -- and the best are right here!  However in terms of politics, I do disagree.  At least if you care enough.  You need to know what the enemy is saying.  That's not really relevant to what's going on right now, but I just got high.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

I agree with this when it comes to anything but politics.  If you're arguing about entertainment, or art, in any way, that's just stupid.  There are plenty of examples of this -- and the best are right here!  However in terms of politics, I do disagree.  At least if you care enough.  You need to know what the enemy is saying.  That's not really relevant to what's going on right now, but I just got high.

Lol. I was talking in the pop culture context not politics.

15 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yes, I certainly did missed it.  Just looked over page 19 of this thread.  First off, it was another reminder this thread is old and I'm not sure why you revived it.  Secondly, I do not see a single instance of you showing sympathy.  So, you're wrong.

I went back to read the last few pages of this thread out of pure boredom found a post that was quoting me and I thought was worth commenting on and so I replied to it. Not that great conundrum to figure out.  You do not see me saying the level of backlash  Best received was unjustified, especially given it got him to be suicidal as showing sympathy to his plight. Got it. 

9 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Lol. I was talking in the pop culture context not politics.

Well I'm bored and trying to provoke a conversation!  

You do not see me saying the level of backlash  Best received was unjustified, especially given it got him to be suicidal as showing sympathy to his plight. Got it. 

This is..really hard to get.  But Ok.  I think.

5 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I went back to read the last few pages of this thread out of pure boredom found a post that was quoting me and I thought was worth commenting on and so I replied to it. Not that great conundrum to figure out.  You do not see me saying the level of backlash  Best received was unjustified, especially given it got him to be suicidal as showing sympathy to his plight. Got it. 

1 minute ago, DMC said:

You two are really on the same abstract page here :P I'm familiar with that mood, just not being in that mood when high.

On a serious note, anyone that can watch Best's video talking over reflecting on the place he almost committed suicide when taking a photo there with his son and not feel sympathetic is a fucking monster.

4 minutes ago, karaddin said:

anyone that can watch Best's video talking over reflecting on the place he almost committed suicide when taking a photo there with his son and not feel sympathetic is a fucking monster.

I don't know what that refers to.  And it sounds like I don't want to.

ETA: Y'know, if everyone's already high, it'd seem remiss not to invite @Jace, Basilissa to the party.

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

This is..really hard to get.  But Ok.  I think.

No it really isn’t. Saying Best shouldn’t have been harassed the way he was apparently isn’t showing sympathy to the actor. According to you at least. I hope that clears up whatever confusion you apparently had. If not OK. 

5 minutes ago, karaddin said:

On a serious note, anyone that can watch Best's video talking over reflecting on the place he almost committed suicide when taking a photo there with his son and not feel sympathetic is a fucking monster.

True.  Honestly, his “crime” not that serious. All it really was playing a pretty bad character in a pretty mediocre movie. It really shouldn’t coalesced into him nearly dying over a movie. 

No it really isn’t. Saying Best shouldn’t have been harassed the way he was apparently isn’t showing sympathy to the actor. According to you at least. I hope that clears up whatever confusion you apparently had. If not OK. 

Man, do you love to play the victim.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

I don't know what that refers to.  And it sounds like I don't want to.

Ahmed Best almost killed himself on the Brooklyn Bridge. he (recently I think - or at least I watched it recently) had a video up on youtube reflecting on it all and how he'd avoided that place ever since but found him back there with his son and wound up taking a photo reflecting on his overcoming that. It informed me of a whole bunch of the dynamics I hadn't been aware of, since I knew nothing about the actor back when the prequels came out I had no idea that he was a black man nor considered the way this could have seemed like a massive break out role for him only to wind up being the complete opposite.

Naturally as I'm trying to find it, google is just trying to serve me up a bunch of alt right horse shit - I'll try find it in my history. It's overall positive because he triumphed over those feelings.

Tacked it down in history: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfNiSkd3HfI

Archived