The Magicians Season 4+ [SHOW SPOILER - No Book Spoilers]

RedEyedGhost

3 hours ago, kairparavel said:

I read that too -- but I don't have a subscription that streams SyFy so I'm not seeing this season yet.  If you've read the books, does this happen in them too?  (I will never read the books.)

4 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I read that too -- but I don't have a subscription that streams SyFy so I'm not seeing this season yet.  If you've read the books, does this happen in them too?  (I will never read the books.)

Nope nope nope nope nope.

I was really disgusted with the background story of Eliot. 

Mmmmm, prison castle made of bloodstone bricks that stop teleportation.  Uhhhhh, whose blood again?   Not the gods' or else they wouldn't need stones of something else's blood and could use their own.   Eliot Monster's stolen blood?  No, that'd be the kryptonite problem all over again- - why would his own blood stop him from teleporting!  So, whose?

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Nope nope nope nope nope.

I was really disgusted with the background story of Eliot. 

Why disgusted? 

:dunno:

I haven't read the books but tv Eliot - we knew about his killing his bull; we knew about his homophobic father which affected Eliot in many ways. Helping to beat up his best friend in high school wasn't a surprise as it was no doubt done in self-preservation. He's been a depressed, unhappy hedonist all the way through this show. His one true connection was Margot, through love and friendship before Quentin came along. And it's no oddity that the monster living in Eliot has the connection/obsession he does with Quentin. 

3 hours ago, kairparavel said:

Why disgusted? 

:dunno:

I haven't read the books but tv Eliot - we knew about his killing his bull; we knew about his homophobic father which affected Eliot in many ways. Helping to beat up his best friend in high school wasn't a surprise as it was no doubt done in self-preservation. He's been a depressed, unhappy hedonist all the way through this show. His one true connection was Margot, through love and friendship before Quentin came along. And it's no oddity that the monster living in Eliot has the connection/obsession he does with Quentin. 

It's the fact they made him into a child killer and someone who beat up his best friend.  Of course the Monster took him, gay people are monsters don't you know. That is what I found a real cheap shot.

Quentin is branching out to have gay experiences.   Eliot is exploring the world of monstrousness.   Everyone is stretching their wings.   Some of the gays I run into are just gay, true, but I've seen others who were gay + more.   Like this one guy was also an insurance rep.   Mayhaps Eliot is one of the "gay+more" gays.

It was sad to see Julia's maenad die, because that's a setback for the "what's the deal with Julia" plot.   Also, because she was quirky.

The central themes of the book are gone gone gone though and I'm fine with that. I get the disappointment with making Eliot a worse person in his back story but he was never a noble character in the books really, although certainly not a murderer. I don't recall - was he in control of his powers at that point or wasn't that more the idea from the books/show that you learn about your magic power due to unexplained events (or is that only HP). I.e. you can't hold a 15 yo. kid responsible for magic misdeeds of their subconscious. Also, making the rejection of someone's offer of love a worse personal failing than, you know, murder, might be what's really off the rails here.

Still no Kady last night, still don't miss her. Is she off the show? I think the show really nailed the Alice character because I didn't find her that interesting in the books and same here. She's the 'Her?' of the Magicians. 

Marina seems like she crossed over from the Buffyverse. 

9 hours ago, Vaughn said:

The central themes of the book are gone gone gone though and I'm fine with that. I get the disappointment with making Eliot a worse person in his back story but he was never a noble character in the books really, although certainly not a murderer. I don't recall - was he in control of his powers at that point or wasn't that more the idea from the books/show that you learn about your magic power due to unexplained events (or is that only HP). I.e. you can't hold a 15 yo. kid responsible for magic misdeeds of their subconscious. Also, making the rejection of someone's offer of love a worse personal failing than, you know, murder, might be what's really off the rails here.

https://ew.com/recap/the-magicians-series-premiere/

Eliot told Quentin that killing his bully was how he discovered his telekinesis. 

Also the door opened to the worst memory for Eliot and having control over a decision to reject someone you love who loves you is yes potentially worse than killing someone by accident who bullied and tormented you. 

“I thought, narratively, it was a really interesting choice and in a way it makes sense to me that Eliot would be unable to accept the love that was presented to him after the trauma he grew up with.”

https://pagesix.com/2019/02/21/magicians-star-hale-appleman-on-what-surprises-him-about-eliots-past/

Finally, I can't speak for Sera Gamble but I suspect having the monster possess Eliot had more to do with the fact that he tried to shoot and kill the last meat suit the monster was wearing and also to explore and get to the heart of the Quentin and Eliot relationship. I do not believe it's gay man = monster. 

I feel like catherine manheim is stalking me.    First she shows up on some favorite show i don't even remember anymore, then there she is on Person of Interest, and now this.    Apparently my favorite shows are her favorite shows but i don't get to also work on my favorite shows like she does.    So it feels like we're on an uneven playing ground.  More to the point, if our tastes in TV have so much in common does this mean i'm supposed to marry her?

Maybe Kady decided she liked her fake life alternate identity and went back to that.    For the season finale Dr. Phil does a televised intervention to help magicians in crisis and she gets her emmy clip / cry session.

This season feels narrow.  It's like the Killjoys trap, where things were wide open at the start with lots of variety and an empty canvas to paint on, then they painted themselves into a corner and stayed there for a couple seasons.  Same with Person of Interest.

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

Woo -- this season doesn't sound much like the bonkers fun we found in a lot of the previous seasons' episodes.  :crying:

Margo and Josh cage sex isn't entertaining? 

Stoppard another one from the Penny school of character reimagining. I think we're getting the magic carpet fight this year if they can get the budget.  

Among the many, many changes, one huge one is that in the book getting to Fillory or thrown out of it is a big deal. There have been some wrinkles but traveling seems to have resolved that whole thing in the show. 

2 hours ago, Vaughn said:

Margo and Josh cage sex isn't entertaining? 

As I won't be seeing this season until later in the year (do not subscribe to any service that has syfy).  But Margo in anything anywhere is always, at the very least, entertaining.

https://www.elle.com/culture/movies-tv/a26411353/magicians-season-4-interview-spoilers/

The idea that magic is not a cure for pain, but the direct result of it, is key to understanding what sets The Magicians apart. Through this central metaphor, the show unpacks dark subjects—mental illness, trauma, the fallout from sexual violence—with a depth that is rare on television, and almost unheard of in this genre.

There's still bonkers fun but there's some serious 'grownup' stuff too. The main characters are all damaged in some way and have been from the start, and the show doesn't shy away from it.

On 3/1/2019 at 8:32 PM, Zorral said:

But Margo in anything anywhere is always, at the very least, entertaining.

It would be so easy to fuck up the whole "Margo-schtick" and I think most actors would come across cheesy... but Summer Bishil really nails it, and I feel like  --despite all the deserved Margo love-- Summer's name isn;t mentioned enough. 

On 3/2/2019 at 11:06 PM, Martini Sigil said:

It would be so easy to fuck up the whole "Margo-schtick" and I think most actors would come across cheesy... but Summer Bishil really nails it, and I feel like  --despite all the deserved Margo love-- Summer's name isn;t mentioned enough. 

She's great indeed, There's a lot of other talent in this show among that cast too.  Somebody / somebodies were doing their job with this, and evidently was working with a fairly coherent vision from the beginning (a vision that isn't  particularly the books', evidently?).

Archived