Speculation for fun: How will Arya be rewarded?

6 hours ago, WalkinDude said:

It’s clear to me at this point Gendry with sit the Iron Throne with Arya as his queen. They’re all about subverting expectations now, so how better to do that than have the bastard of the usurper take the throne with a queen who swore she’d never be a lady. 

Much like the Usurper Henry VII ended the war of the roses, and married the Daughter of the family who's claim he usurped.

31 minutes ago, Larger than Average Finger said:

Much like the Usurper Henry VII ended the war of the roses, and married the Daughter of the family who's claim he usurped.

If that were the way of it, Gendry would marry Dany.

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

I expect Arya to be 'rewarded' with death.  The showrunners and actress have already said that killing the NK is the culmination of her story, so she killed the NK and had sex with Gendry, she's done.  

Well... her story certainly doesn't get better than this.

Just now, MinscS2 said:

Well... her story certainly doesn't get better than this.

I had the idea that her story was about losing her family and identity and then trying again and again to find a place for herself in the world, and picking up many useful skills along the way, but always being Arya Stark at her core, always trying to reform her pack.

I didn't realize she was a Marvel hero who blundered into Westeros by mistake.

On 4/30/2019 at 9:29 AM, Dragons 7th Eye said:

Disclaimer: There are so many big topics, as in the size of the whole series big. Why this and why that and omg 7 seasons of build up for - that? This is not it. This is just a light hearted topic and hopefully some fun speculation, but please stay on topic - as in Arya's reward for killing the NK only - and also don't make it a joke, please.

First of all there is the question if Arya's deed will be acknowledged. I think they will be, but who knows with this show.

Will she get a castle of her own? There are several vacancies around the North right now ;)

At the very least, I think we will see a "Arise, Ser Arya Stark - Knight of the Seven Kingdoms". Brienne just set an example and Dany will have no problem knighting a woman.

Unfortuantely I don't think it'll be referenced too heavily. A quick mention of it and maybe a thank you and then that will be it. They are still at war with Cersei and they don't really have time for rewards. And as much as Arya totally saved the day and without her we would have lost Bran and most likely lost the war, nobody will admit it was all down to Arya. They will think of it as a group effort. Think back, how much recognition did Sansa get for bringing in the Knights of the Vale during the Battle of The Bastards? 

20 hours ago, Larger than Average Finger said:

She wouldn't be a lady. She'd be a queen. And I'd be more than okay with that! 

On 5/2/2019 at 1:53 PM, anjulibai said:

There actually are good reasons for Dany to legitimize Gendry. It would show the realm that that she's willing to move forward and seek reconciliation. Since only a monarch can legitimize bastards, Gendry legitimacy rests entirely on the validity of Dany being queen, it's in his best interests to support her. In any case, he'd not want to be king, and would probably need a lot of convincing to become a lord. Ultimately, what would be most important to Dany, is he'd also be able to bring the Stormlands into the fold, and rally fresh troops. 

Oh yeah she could legitimize him, but only if she can hold onto her claim for the throne. And right now she is threatened by Jon and I can't see her legitimizing another possible threat to her throne, also he's Robert Baratheons bastard, I can't see her liking him too much considering what Robert done to her family. 

19 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I expect Arya to be 'rewarded' with death.  The showrunners and actress have already said that killing the NK is the culmination of her story, so she killed the NK and had sex with Gendry, she's done.  

So basically, they either could not do Arya's actual character arc, or simply refused to. So they added this stupid NK kill and Gendry. LucasArts can keep D&D, I hope they never touch another worthwhile franchise again.

5 minutes ago, longest night said:

So basically, they either could not do Arya's actual character arc, or simply refused to. So they added this stupid NK kill and Gendry. LucasArts can keep D&D, I hope they never touch another worthwhile franchise again.

Based on what the showrunners have said, that they felt having Jon kill the NK was too predictable, and the actress and the showrunners saying that this is what Arya's story has been leading to, it sounds like they simply switched it up for a 'shock'...everyone expected either Jon or Dany would be key to defeating the NK, so 'shocker' it's Arya.  It's weird to me that they don't see how this destroys much of the previous story they've told, but they're not very deep, LOL.

Just now, Cas Stark said:

Based on what the showrunners have said, that they felt having Jon kill the NK was too predictable, and the actress and the showrunners saying that this is what Arya's story has been leading to, it sounds like they simply switched it up for a 'shock'...everyone expected either Jon or Dany would be key to defeating the NK, so 'shocker' it's Arya.  It's weird to me that they don't see how this destroys much of the previous story they've told, but they're not very deep, LOL.

Yet some how this thing is the culmination of her story? Something completely unrelated to her character arc is the culmination of her story. It really means they didn't know what to do with Arya. So they either cannot finish how her story as GRRM intended, or refuse to for some reason. This is one of his five main characters and they royally fucked it up.

2 minutes ago, longest night said:

Yet some how this thing is the culmination of her story? Something completely unrelated to her character arc is the culmination of her story. It really means they didn't know what to do with Arya. So they either cannot finish how her story as GRRM intended, or refuse to for some reason. This is one of his five main characters and they royally fucked it up.

Well, they have fairly ruined Jon's character, too.  He's spent years trying to rally people to fight the WW, and it turns out, not only was an army not needed, only a faceless man, that his battle strategy was terrible, and that he, himself has no role at all or success in the battle.  Dany has taken the entire Dothraki people to their deaths for no reason or reward, so this mess of a battle fairly well blights her character too, she loses the Dothraki, most of the unsullied, Mormont and all for not much of anything since it turns out that dragons can't kill the NK, even though Valyrian steel can [whatever, LOL].  Sansa's characterization has been a mess since season 5.  Arya is my favorite character, but what they did with this shows no understanding beyond badass killer kills.  Oh well.  3 weeks and it's all a wrap.

5 minutes ago, longest night said:

This is one of his five main characters and they royally fucked it up.

If it's any consolation, (if those 5 mains are Daenerys, Jon, Arya, Sansa and Tyrion), there seems to be a big chance that they will fuck up all five of them before this is over....

Just now, MinscS2 said:

If it's any consolation, (if those 5 mains are Daenerys, Jon, Arya, Sansa and Tyrion), there seems to be a big chance that they will fuck up all five of them before this is over....

The five are Jon, Arya, Bran, Tyrion, and Daenerys.

2 minutes ago, longest night said:

The five are Jon, Arya, Bran, Tyrion, and Daenerys.

Ah well, my point still stands.
They've pretty much dropped the ball with Bran already...

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

Well, they have fairly ruined Jon's character, too.  He's spent years trying to rally people to fight the WW, and it turns out, not only was an army not needed, only a faceless man, that his battle strategy was terrible, and that he, himself has no role at all or success in the battle.  Dany has taken the entire Dothraki people to their deaths for no reason or reward, so this mess of a battle fairly well blights her character too, she loses the Dothraki, most of the unsullied, Mormont and all for not much of anything since it turns out that dragons can't kill the NK, even though Valyrian steel can [whatever, LOL].  Sansa's characterization has been a mess since season 5.  Arya is my favorite character, but what they did with this shows no understanding beyond badass killer kills.  Oh well.  3 weeks and it's all a wrap.

1 hour ago, MinscS2 said:

Ah well, my point still stands.
They've pretty much dropped the ball with Bran already...

Jon in the books is being setup to being an excellent commander. He's learned and is learning to be diplomatic when needed, stern and ruthless when needed. He's like a Targaryen king with the honor of Ned and traditions of the north. Ice and fire combined. The Jon that's in the show, is none of that. In an effort to bring up other characters, they cut off his character progression. 

Azor Ahai wasn't just some mythical warrior, but the person that united people against the Others. The Lightbringer sword isn't just some magical sword that can slay evil things, it's a beacon for people.  He is simply not this in the show.  His role in the books will be a steady climb in power, until he must unite not just the north, but all of the seven kingdoms that will be amidst the chaos of war.

What did the show do? The show introduced a Night King as the face of the threat, instead of a mysterious threat that washes over Westeros. So since Jon is the role of the warrior king, it is in their creation of the NK that setup this conflict with them. Whereas in the books it will be mostly command decisions and diplomacy that will win the day, in the show it was turned into a single battle. What's worse is that they actually hyped this showdown at Hardhome and when they went beyond the Wall. When Jon offered to duel Ramsay to prevent further bloodshed. 

There are no battle strategies being implemented, or need to unite Westeros to fight off the threat in the show, so Jon's character arc was the culmination of his showdown with this Night King, and they ruined it. They are clearly separating what is probably going to be an intervwoven fight against Daenerys and the Others. Jon, ice and fire fighting both ice and fire. A fight for the crown to save the people.

Instead of "uniting the people" it became uniting solely a bunch of "heros", primarily Daenerys, and the war became "one battle". He technically filled the role he was suppose to fill, but it was hollow because the show made it hollow. They didn't win through a strategic victory, they won through the defeat of their own silly concept that defeating a Night King they created would defeat everything.

Arya's story arc is probably interwoven with Jon's and when they hollowed Jon's, they completely got rid of Arya's. They took away the close connection in the books that tie the two together. They barely get any interaction in the show. We never see in her head, or her motivation in the book displayed on screen. Where does Arya go when she gets back to Westeros? Not to Jon, her last connection to her family that' for sure.

We never see Jon disobey his Night Watch vows to charge off to save a fake Arya, resulting in his death. Just as we never get to see Arya going for vengeance for Jon's death as we see foreshadowed in the books. It was cut, all of it.

So they had to replace her story arc. Whereas she was probably going to be instrumental to Jon, she now stole Jon's story. Whereas a single kill from her would turn the tide of a battle Jon planned, it defeated everything and won the "war". 

Why does everyone keep suggesting that Arya and Gendry would be together in WF? 

If he is legitimized (big IF), this seems to become even MORE of an issue as he is heir to Storms End, at minimum.

If they both marry after that, they would effectively be lord and lady of Storm's End, not Winterfell. That would still be the possession of Sansa and who ever she marries (and then the underlying sub plot of Robb having recognized Jon and what and how Jon's story plays out as well). 

5 minutes ago, Wik said:

Why does everyone keep suggesting that Arya and Gendry would be together in WF? 

If he is legitimized (big IF), this seems to become even MORE of an issue as he is heir to Storms End, at minimum.

If they both marry after that, they would effectively be lord and lady of Storm's End, not Winterfell. That would still be the possession of Sansa and who ever she marries (and then the underlying sub plot of Robb having recognized Jon and what and how Jon's story plays out as well). 

She stops being a Stark if she marries anyone that isn't a king. She doesn't have the luxury of being Lady of Winterfell that gets to keep her name if she marries someone.

Archived