Sign in to follow this  
Matrim Fox Cauthon

Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance (spoilers)

I watched episode 1 on my own and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was like an eye massage and the detail to the design, sets and vehicles was fury road good. 

The Voice cast is strong particularly regarding the skeksis. I was surprised how good pegg was at imitating the original chancellor voice.

I like how the skeksis aren't thoroughly evil at first. It's more greed that drives them. Not sure from episode one what they bring to the table in terms of what possible benefit they provided that allowed them to become rulers but i guess it good be extreme satire on how the 1%/monarchy don't add anything.

Only minor complaint is the puppetry can't avoid "above the waist" float walking which is ever so slightly distracting. 

2 hours ago, red snow said:

I like how the skeksis aren't thoroughly evil at first. It's more greed that drives them. Not sure from episode one what they bring to the table in terms of what possible benefit they provided that allowed them to become rulers but i guess it good be extreme satire on how the 1%/monarchy don't add anything.

TL;DR They are cunning and powerful. They lied. They cheated. They manufactured crises. They escalated tensions and created divisions.

The skeksis have effectively been rulers for the past 900 years/trine, which allows mass manipulation and gaslighting on a generational scale.

The one thing the Skesis definitely are shown to be good at is works of engineering. Sure the Scientist does most of that, but the others have various capabilities, too. This clearly comes from the urSkeks.

hmm, I wonder if the splits of Skeksis and Mystics isn't just on the characters side (evil/good) but also in their capabilities. The Mystics, as the name suggests, are maybe more focused on the spiritual side, while the Skeksis are focused on the material side. 

Does it tell us anywhere why exactly the urSkeks that came to Thra got sent away?  I found some general stuff about them being heretics or not towing the collectivist line but nothing more specific than that, and with it being 18 of them it makes it seem like it was a nascent political movement or mutiny or something.  

6 hours ago, Triskele said:

Does it tell us anywhere why exactly the urSkeks that came to Thra got sent away?  I found some general stuff about them being heretics or not towing the collectivist line but nothing more specific than that, and with it being 18 of them it makes it seem like it was a nascent political movement or mutiny or something.  

Nothing concrete, only in generalities that vary between sources: impure, heretics, and proposed misuse of their world's Crystal. The urSkeks were exceptionally discrete about their origins and crimes. Some of the truth only came out around the time of the Second Great Conjunction, when they attempted to purify themselves with the Crystal, and then vague statements shortly after they reunified (and left) as part of the Third Great Conjunction.

This also reminds me, there is one thing that I am curious about whether the show will answer: do the skeksis/urRu "return" to Thra when they die despite not originally being from Thra? There are some statements in the series that suggest they would not and some that they are afraid because of their own ignorance of this answer, but then there is also Aughra's reaction to Jen in the film saying that his master, wisest of the mystics urSu is dead: "Could be anywhere then."

Awesome feedback, MFC, thank you so much.  

Intriguing comments by @Corvinus on skeks v. urs.  I feel like it's fairly prescient with our times right now as we're sort of in an age where we marvel at tech and engineering but also are horrified by it.  Pretty cool that Henson et al came up with this...dualism? back then.  

ETA:  Or is "dichotomy" a better choice than dualism?  not sure

Edited by Triskele

6 hours ago, Triskele said:

Awesome feedback, MFC, thank you so much.  

Intriguing comments by @Corvinus on skeks v. urs.  I feel like it's fairly prescient with our times right now as we're sort of in an age where we marvel at tech and engineering but also are horrified by it.  Pretty cool that Henson et al came up with this...dualism? back then.  

ETA:  Or is "dichotomy" a better choice than dualism?  not sure

It was the late'70s and early '80s. I suspect that Jim Henson was influenced by a lot of New Age stuff for his film, as well as Euro-Americanized Taoism. Dualism seems to work. Two halves of a whole, separated in imbalance, resulting in the imbalance of all things around them.

I've never seen the movie and am about 1/2 way through this and absolutely LOVE it.  It's truly high fantasy with some great story telling.  My wife and I are going to finish it this weekend and then watch the movie.

I have another question for @Matrim Fox Cauthon or anyone who may know:

Do we have any info from the lore of this world/story on why the urSkeks that were banished to Thra were banished to Thra specifically?  Anything to do with its suns or crystal?

Also, the one Skeksis who's called Heretic, do we know exactly why he's so-called by the others Skeksis?  

ETA:  Do we know why SkekUng who is such a presence in the film is not in the show yet?  Is he even referenced?

Edited by Triskele

On 9/28/2019 at 6:10 PM, Triskele said:

I have another question for @Matrim Fox Cauthon or anyone who may know:

(1) Do we have any info from the lore of this world/story on why the urSkeks that were banished to Thra were banished to Thra specifically?  Anything to do with its suns or crystal?

(2) Also, the one Skeksis who's called Heretic, do we know exactly why he's so-called by the others Skeksis?  

(3) ETA:  Do we know why SkekUng who is such a presence in the film is not in the show yet?  Is he even referenced?

(1) The urSkeks apparently tried to use their world's Crystal for some unknown ends that the others of their people deemed folly, for which they were branded heretics, and exiled until they mastered their darker selves. (This comes from the Dark Crystal Wiki, which references the World of the Dark Crystal and Creation Myths Vol. 1 for this info.) The urSkeks had no desire to talk about it, because when they arrived on the planet, they pretended to be pilgrims and helpers to Thra. 

(2) SkekGra the Conqueror was rebranded "the Heretic" because following a vision from Thra they sought for the Skeksis to change their ways so that the skeksis could work on reunifying with their urRu halves. The skeksis did not like this turn-of-conscience and ousted him. 

(3) SkekUng is somewhere else in Thra. He is mentioned by name from several of the skeksis later in the season who are talking about the possibility of calling back to the castle SkekNa (the Slavemaster) and SkekUng, who is described as a strong warrior, and maybe another who I can't recall offhand. (It was not SkekShod the Treasurer, who remains unmentioned. I think it was either SkekLi or SkekSa.) Since SkekUng could not possibly become either the General before the death of SkekVar or the Garthim-Master before the creation of the garthim, which transpired at the end of season 1, this paves way for SkekUng to take up this dual position of General and Garthim-Master. 

Just watched both the movie and the series. Blown away at the beginning, although the series dragged a little bit at the end: became to grimdark and wannabe dramatic and backed off from the twee bits that made it great. Nevertheless, I want to see a Doctor Who crossover!

23 hours ago, charleois said:

Just watched both the movie and the series. Blown away at the beginning, although the series dragged a little bit at the end: became to grimdark and wannabe dramatic and backed off from the twee bits that made it great. Nevertheless, I want to see a Doctor Who crossover!

Ummmmm... how?

On 9/30/2019 at 10:55 AM, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

(1) The urSkeks apparently tried to use their world's Crystal for some unknown ends that the others of their people deemed folly, for which they were branded heretics, and exiled until they mastered their darker selves.

According to World, they were exiled for not being purely good, and chose to come to Thra to make use of the power of the Crystal and the Great Conjunction to purge the darkness from their souls. This didn't work out the way they planned, and instead of destroying their dark sides it split them into two separate beings. I haven't read Creation Myths yet, but I consider it a retcon while World and the novelisation were written in conjunction with the development of the film with Henson's input.

On 9/30/2019 at 10:55 AM, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

(2) SkekGra the Conqueror was rebranded "the Heretic" because following a vision from Thra they sought for the Skeksis to change their ways so that the skeksis could work on reunifying with their urRu halves. The skeksis did not like this turn-of-conscience and ousted him. 

I found that element a bit hard to swallow given the nature of the Skeksis. They shouldn't be capable of that sort of wisdom!

On 9/19/2019 at 4:17 PM, Triskele said:

I do not know anything about whether these sins were intended by Henson et al, but if it was, it's not hard for me to imagine why lust was conveniently left out as it's a fairly sexless kid's story.

Even as an adult, I'm very very glad that wasn't an aspect of the Skeksis! :ack: I get the impression the urSkeks were sexless beings, so it makes sense that their divided halves would be the same. There were no urSkek, urRu, or Skeksis babies in two thousand years.

I found the series visually stunning, and enjoyed the story on its own terms, but it didn't feel entirely compatible with the movie. The very beginning didn't help with that, talking about Skeksis instead of urSkeks and showing the Crystal out in the open instead of inside a mountain or crystal castle. The Prophecy not playing a role in the Skeksis declaring war on the Gelfling was particularly odd.