Acrophilia #20: Breakers of Chains

Dolorous Gabe

Damn that theme. At one stage I had no-one born in mainland westeros as a theme.  but I was too ignorant of ASOIF geography to recognise that them places Daario and Missandei et al come from are also islands.

4 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Blah. I changed from Brienne.

It made sense but then I decided it was less likely that the clue described a blade carried and more likely that it describe a person who was considered a rare fighter and so I switched to Baristan, who I thought was less a good fit for the searching part but who did resolve to search for the rightful heir to the throne.

I kept thinking Brienne might be wrong too. Although I think of 'gay blades' as young so I wouldn't have thought of Barristan thinking more of a Bravo type person and couldn't come up with one. But I came up with obsidian being a rare blade and thought it could possible be Marwyn, if every sliver of obsidian was regarded as a blade even when used in a candle. But luckily I resisted. 

1 hour ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

I had Cersei bedding her cousin for the final, though I knew reluctant was wrong for that. Just couldn't think of another, better devotee relationship.

Salladhor crossed my mind briefly but couldn't fit deceiver. I still can't, actually.

me either...and out of all the colors listed for him orange is not...just saying <_<

1 hour ago, Castellan said:

Damn that theme. At one stage I had no-one born in mainland westeros as a theme.  but I was too ignorant of ASOIF geography to recognise that them places Daario and Missandei et al come from are also islands.

I kept thinking Brienne might be wrong too. Although I think of 'gay blades' as young so I wouldn't have thought of Barristan thinking more of a Bravo type person and couldn't come up with one. But I came up with obsidian being a rare blade and thought it could possible be Marwyn, if every sliver of obsidian was regarded as a blade even when used in a candle. But luckily I resisted. 

i never even considered the rare blade to be a person...i was locked onto obsidian from the beginning which, led me to sam jon then stannis but my theme (prisoners) got in my way so i finally went with the valyrian dagger as the blade and who was searching for answers about it who were imprisoned...so tyrion... :shocked:

a pitiful first outing but i got high hopes...of coming in dead last

...and my clue won't be so easy next time...

:smoking:

30 minutes ago, rocksniffer said:

me either...and out of all the colors listed for him orange is not...just saying <_<

i never even considered the rare blade to be a person...i was locked onto obsidian from the beginning which, led me to sam jon then stannis but my theme (prisoners) got in my way so i finally went with the valyrian dagger as the blade and who was searching for answers about it who were imprisoned...so tyrion... :shocked:

a pitiful first outing but i got high hopes...of coming in dead last

...and my clue won't be so easy next time...

:smoking:

Less posty posty, more reviewy reviewy.

10 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

I tried to look for the specific colours for a while but it led nowhere, so then I tried to figure out how else to look at them. Eventually I came to the conclusion that they probably just represented the idea of colours (because authors have the letters to mind as well). 

I didn't think of the "rare blade" as a person either but now I really like the idea. Warriors are often referred to as "swords" in the books. 

Yes, the Valyrian dagger is also connected with the idea of delving / investigating.

"Prisoners" is a tricky theme idea because it would fit so many characters in the books that it may seem to work very easily even if the real theme is something else. I had learned that before. :(

11 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Salladhor crossed my mind briefly but couldn't fit deceiver. I still can't, actually.

He is treacherous, but yes, he probably makes it clear that he is there for business and only as long as you can pay. He never pretends to be otherwise. But since he is also involved in smuggling, there may be some deception there as part of the profession. :dunno: 

Hmmm, I had only one right in the prelims and decided to change them all. I knew I be wrong on at least one as a result and it was Dany Girl . . . oh wells!

I got the archer part of the nocker clue, but I took the "requesting" the wrong way - like someone who was wanting an archer, not an archer who was wanting. And I forgot about the Summer Islanders being first rate archers - dum, de dum-dumb.

I'm a wee bit salty about that Asha clue. It's true she was initially resistant that last time at Deepwood Motte, but she and Qarl had been lovers for a long time and with great gusto - so that never fit for me.

44 minutes ago, Robb4Ever said:

So I am guessing it won't happen today after all. Oh well. Another 3 days of doing nothing. :(

Polish your next clue until it's perfectly indecipherable at first look but then magically transforms into perfectly gettable by all, so you maximize both fun and points.

I, one the other hand, will probably produce a terrible clue that everyone hates. And I will cackle in mad, deluded glee

6 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Polish your next clue until it's perfectly indecipherable at first look but then magically transforms into perfectly gettable by all, so you maximize both fun and points.

I, one the other hand, will probably produce a terrible clue that everyone hates. And I will cackle in mad, deluded glee

It's already perfected like that. And you still owe me that riddle answer.

46 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

If everyone tells me that their clue is ready I'll post the new clues.

I can't get round to posting the R1 results till Monday though.

You can post mine.

Archived