Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dolorous Gabe

Acrophilia #20: Breakers of Chains

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

 

2. Tyrion fits as an understatef hero more than Jon, the true hero. Even his stature fits the description. And his bastardy (secret Targ) is more erroneous than Jon's, who is arguably (though not decidedly) a bastard in truth. I'm legit surprised by missing this.

 

well when I sent it to Gabe I commented that if he accepted that clue he might have to explain to struggling players that it expresses an opinion seeing as his parentage and whether there was a legal marriage has not been proved. But really its pretty much established idea and he is the most associated with the word bastard in the book, more than Ramsay for example.

understated meant he is quietly heroic, given his bastard status he has been quietly observing. He doesn't seek leadership or heroics he can just pull that out when necessary and also makes hard choices e.g. killing Qhorin. I used 'emo' in one of my alternate clues.

I never thought of Tyron and I assumed my clue would be the easiest to guess because I am just not up to making them tricky. Apparently I can do it by accident! My impulse is to try to communicate as clearly as possible an unfortunate tendency I am never very witty. I liked 'understated her' as I thought that it expressed his low key style yet dogged rise. 

Edited by Castellan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Eternally_His said:

Except Joff wasn't really betrayed (unlike Sweetie)

He was killed by his new grandmother in law, among (likely) additional trusted others, at his wedding feast. I'm not sure what else to call that and it very closely mirrors the Robb betrayal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cheers to everyone who manged to get any right...

to all of us...including myself...easy and specific are not the same thing...catelyn for example is described in the paragraph where she is killed as being "torn and tattered"...so i saw it as easy without doing the work to see if any others fit clue as well or better...

other examples...

1... yes i thought of ned...and bran...and jaime (his bonds with family vs brienne and even jon has wolf dreams as does arya but i was able to exclude her due to the male pronoun

2...tyrion was way more of an understated hero due to his actions to help bran ride, blackwater battle and even fight with clans men on road to eyrie and when he led the van during the battle whatever it was called... and he calls himself a bastard when speaking to jon which he is not...

3...i went with joff cause f the animal killing that is twisted more than cersei who is just an arrogant bitch...sorry ladies for being vulgar

5...other underage heirs who were betrayed and had untimely ends...daeron l the young dragon, king at 14, betrayed and killed at18...viserys targaryen...heir at 5 or 6, he betrayed dany when he sold her then tried to steal eggs...he also was betrayed by drogo when he thought he was getting an army etc ...and met untimely end

6...this was renly or stannis...and was the most specific clue this round, imo thank you Chick...the comma was the bit that helped me decide on stannis

7...it was obviously dany, but even the comments by our twisted host about the show had to do with theme not clue...and in books she doesn't die from burns but is not exactly fireproof...in addition, jaime also was a teenager when he went into kingsguard, was victorious in tourneys and in being able to stop city burning...and he survived several threats by aerys, mad king, from being burned like so many others in the kings world...3nd most specific clue this round

8...thank you to SwmbO for the 2nd (or tied for first) most specific clue

 

39 minutes ago, Julia H. said:

Wow!

<snip>

For #1, I had multiple interpretations, like Theon who wok,e up in bonds (a captive) after being knocked unconscious, and Bran, because while he was unconscious, his wolf was howling under his window.

<snip>

 

never thought of theon but it is true he fits...

:smoking:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was torn between Bran and Ned, but decided a bond is a promise and he promised Lyanna. 
 

But, mainly because Gabe said he’s first for a reason. For crying out loud, CHAPTER ONE my fellow morons!! 
 

eta: that just hit me. I actually thought it was because Ned had a relationship with everyone and Bran didn’t.

Edited by Fragile Bird

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i first went with death warrants put on people by a king or queen, but was not it so i also went with assassinations/attempted assassination and still not right...so there it is...

 

...and now the sniffer is on a mission...beware

20 minutes ago, Eternally_His said:

Except Joff wasn't really betrayed (unlike Sweetie) and I also had the letters to keep in mind.

...of course he was betrayed by little finger and queen of thorns...they were supposed to be his allies

:smoking:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rocksniffer said:

 

8...thank you to SwmbO for the 2nd (or tied for first) most specific clue

 

I beg to differ. I think that clue is wonderful for Belwas. The only problem is that in his case he is an unusual excretor his excreta is presumably normal although produced in an unusual setting.

He is better than Tywin in some other respects - he is actually bald whereas Tywin shaves the thinning hair on his scalp and grown great lion like sideburns; he is unflinching in waiting for his opponent to ride down on him and when in every contest lets his opponent get one gash in before he begins fighting him for real. But bad-ass fits Tywim more than Belwas and I put unflinching in a search of Ice and Fire and found Tywin's unflinching look features quite a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rocksniffer said:

7...it was obviously dany, but even the comments by our twisted host about the show had to do with theme not clue...and in books she doesn't die from burns but is not exactly fireproof...in addition, jaime also was a teenager when he went into kingsguard, was victorious in tourneys and in being able to stop city burning...and he survived several threats by aerys, mad king, from being burned like so many others in the kings world...3nd most specific clue this round

:smoking:

She comes out of a funeral pyre with minimal bruises, no one else is as fireproof as she is, literally.

The Jaime idea is clever and subtle - but, in a round where there are no author points, our host would never accept a clue like this for Jaime, on account of Dany. 

6 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I was torn between Bran and Ned, but decided a bond is a promise and he promised Lyanna. 
 

But, mainly because Gabe said he’s first for a reason. For crying out loud, CHAPTER ONE my fellow morons!! 

Yes, chapter one is Bran's POV chapter. I went with Bran. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In which Ned carries out the very first death sentence!

 

Edited to add:
I am only awaiting three clues to start R3

 

Also, I'm rethinking rounds 4 and 5 due to our struggles so far.

Edited by Dolorous Gabe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

In which Ned carries out the very first death sentence!

 

Edited to add:
I am only awaiting three clues to start R3

 

Also, I'm rethinking rounds 4 and 5 due to our struggles so far.

Oh good grief, make us struggle!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ultimately, Eddard's fever dreams are a game changer upon which hinges the main mystery of the story and I seem to have overestimated the importance people would place on "unforgettably."

Bran is a good alternate answer. That does happen while he's unconscious and is a big crux in the story. Theon's experience is so forgettable that I literally did. Not sure I agree on him but I see why it comes to mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

In which Ned carries out the very first death sentence!

 

Edited to add:
I am only awaiting three clues to start R3

 

Also, I'm rethinking rounds 4 and 5 due to our struggles so far.

just leave it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Round 5 really is madness though! I was hesitant regardless, because it is a completely bonkers idea!

so, a low scoring round.so what?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Castellan said:

I beg to differ. I think that clue is wonderful for Belwas. The only problem is that in his case he is an unusual excretor his excreta is presumably normal although produced in an unusual setting.

He is better than Tywin in some other respects - he is actually bald whereas Tywin shaves the thinning hair on his scalp and grown great lion like sideburns; he is unflinching in waiting for his opponent to ride down on him and when in every contest lets his opponent get one gash in before he begins fighting him for real. But bad-ass fits Tywim more than Belwas and I put unflinching in a search of Ice and Fire and found Tywin's unflinching look features quite a lot.

hahahahahah never crossed my mind...once i saw "unique excreta"...what a word...tywin was it...yes i saw the search results myself as a reinforcement of my belief it was tywin...but i like the way your mind works... :cheers:

1 hour ago, Julia H. said:

She comes out of a funeral pyre with minimal bruises, no one else is as fireproof as she is, literally.

The Jaime idea is clever and subtle - but, in a round where there are no author points, our host would never accept a clue like this for Jaime, on account of Dany. 

Yes, chapter one is Bran's POV chapter. I went with Bran. 

...and no hair, her hands are buned by the spears from the fighting pit attack...etc i knew it was her but i went with jaime cause i liked the idea of him surviving the fiery aerys reign...but i agree it was a great clue for her as well :cheers:

30 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Round 5 really is madness though! I was hesitant regardless, because it is a completely bonkers idea!

...and now you gonna go easy...don't it on my account i got ya twisted mind in my sights, so stay with your plan...i feel my juices flowing

:owned:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Ultimately, Eddard's fever dreams are a game changer upon which hinges the main mystery of the story and I seem to have overestimated the importance people would place on "unforgettably."

Bran is a good alternate answer. That does happen while he's unconscious and is a big crux in the story. Theon's experience is so forgettable that I literally did. Not sure I agree on him but I see why it comes to mind.

i shall also speak to jaime's dream as being a changer for him as it sends him on his redemption quest... to save brienne and not be as likely to blindly trust cersei...

 

but ned and bran it was a toss up...in fact i tossed a coin... for more than yours :lmao:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, rocksniffer said:

i shall also speak to jaime's dream as being a changer for him as it sends him on his redemption quest... to save brienne and not be as likely to blindly trust cersei...

 

but ned and bran it was a toss up...in fact i tossed a coin... for more than yours :lmao:

Jaime's wasn't a proper bond. I Mutumbo this suggestion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...