US Politics: Vaguely above average Tuesday

Kalbear

16 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Sorry, I believe the idea of water not coming out of my faucets because of "panic" around this is about as likely as a meteor strike, and that I am more likely to catch the coronavirus from a water bottle some sneezed on at the store before I bought it than I am to get it from the chlorinated water from my faucet. 

All I can say is that I work at a hospital, get damn near hourly updates on the situation, and all of the preparedness updates say to make sure you stock up on water, among other things. Your pipes could burst and you might not have a plumber available to help you, for example. Trust me, the hospitals are freaking out.

ETA: The journalist who gave the first report about Bolsanaro has apologized. Apparently he mistranslated a Brazilian press release that Bolsanaro is under observation for it.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

All I can say is that I work at a hospital, get damn near hourly updates on the situation, and all of the preparedness updates say to make sure you stock up on water, among other things. Your pipes could burst and you might not have a plumber available to help you, for example. Trust me, the hospitals are freaking out.

Yeah, that really seems like freak out advice to me. My estimation would still be that I am more likely to catch the coronavirus from the water bottle than I am to have the pipes to my apartment building burst and my landlord not find a plumber during the month or so it would be a relevant issue. And if that would happen there'd be someone to deliver water and leave it outside the door. 

6 minutes ago, Fez said:

President Bolsanaro of Brazil confirmed to have COVID-19; Trump was next to him for hours during that dinner they had. If he was already shedding the virus then (no idea if that's the case), really good chance that Trump himself has it at this point.

Do you have a link? The latest on Google News just says Bolsanaro is "being tested". 

6 minutes ago, Fez said:

President Bolsanaro of Brazil confirmed to have COVID-19; Trump was next to him for hours during that dinner they had. If he was already shedding the virus then (no idea if that's the case), really good chance that Trump himself has it at this point.

Isn't the current consensus that you're spreading for about 10 days prior to exhibiting symptoms?

7 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Yeah, that really seems like freak out advice to me. My estimation would still be that I am more likely to catch the coronavirus from the water bottle than I am to have the pipes to my apartment building burst and my landlord not find a plumber during the month or so it would be a relevant issue. And if that would happen there'd be someone to deliver water and leave it outside the door. 

Yes it is freak out behavior, but really you should have some spare water anyways just in case. Again, a lot of this is about creating awareness. Like from your comment in the other thread, suspending the practice of shaking hands will help a bit, but more generally it’s about creating awareness of human to human contact. But it’s not going to stop everything. People are still having sex after all.

2 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Do you have a link? The latest on Google News just says Bolsanaro is "being tested". 

CNN just says his pres. sec. has it.

2 minutes ago, Fez said:

I said up-thread that Trump looked unusually wooden and pissed off during his broadcast last night, like he had been brought kicking and screaming to the teleprompter. I bet the Brazilians had already given the heads up.

If so, that's one helluva an example being set by Trump. He just gave a lengthy press conference, potentially passing on the coronavirus to every reporter and cameraman in the room.

Made an edit on Bolsanaro; sorry about that. The initial reports all stemmed from the same journalist, who mistranslated a press release.

In other news, McConnell has gone home for the weekend (don't know if that's DC home or Kentucky), so even though Pelosi and Mnuchin are still in active negotiations over the coronavirus bill, nothing will get passed until Monday at the earliest. At least the recess for next week was cancelled. Still, what a fucking scumbag.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

What really did her in was the low(er) turnout of African Americans. And that's the group with which Sanders is not doing particularly well. I mean I recall watching a segment on a news show, where they talked with a few African American women from Ohio, who voiced their disappointment over Obama (him basically not having done enough for the black community while he was in office), and that disenchantment carried over to HRC, and so they said they'd sit out that turn. But they were themselves willing to get into politics themselves [to deliver the change Obama didn't]

Personally, I'd love to see a follow up from that segment to see how they feel now about not voting because Obama wasn't as big a champion for the black community as they hoped.

How anyone can go from this to "black people vote the way they do out of pragmatism" is beyond me. 

1 hour ago, Muaddibs_Tapeworm said:

The military does humanitarian work, firefighting, evacuation, relief work, etc. every bit as proficiently as it blows stuff up. 

Not really. If you spend most of your time training to defeat a military enemy, it stands to reason that is what you will be best at. And frankly, that is what it should be best at.

1 hour ago, Muaddibs_Tapeworm said:

The military does humanitarian work,

A lot of these "humanitarian" missions end up being complete clusters. Any intervention that is described as being "humanitarian" needs to be closely scrutinized.

I pretty sure that fucking mess that turned out to be Libya was sold as being "humanitarian".

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Get with the times. Make a parody fan twitter account.

I'm old fashioned and Klassy, don't have the twitter, and also gave up social media for Lent.  I'm thinking of writing it in fountain pen on black bordered bond using my best copperplate.

Archived