Omelette, scrambled, or dragons? Or what do do when you have eggs.

kissdbyfire

2 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Yeah, I agree. I literally just said that Rufus. Great minds :cheers:

Ha! Just saw that. :cheers:

And yeah, I think it plays a part. And maybe again a combo of things, like how the dragons were being kept + “unworthy Targs”? Coz there were quite a few that ranged from horrible to meek to nuts etc? And when some good ones were coming along again, like Baelor Breakspear, the dragons were already gone. :dunno:

2 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

To the bolded - haha! I feel ya. Maybe I'll get enough time to try to do it, or maybe some very much smarter than me poster will come along & tell us - surely someone on this forum knows? 

The wiki might have something? Might be worth checking it out. I might even try to get something basic together, but won’t be able to do it b4 I have a day off, so Monday. Maybe. 

10 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I think part of why the dragons died out May have to do w/ being kept in a manner that was detrimental to their health.

Yeah, I think the George was getting at that, those beasts shouldn't be confined, it ain't natural...

Only have a quick second and I know I am tagged a few times here, but I will have to reply to those tomorrow (sorry :blush:)... BUT, this is what I wanted to share and it took me a few word combo's to find the quote.

There is no "recipe" and/or it won't be revealed to use measly muggles.  I know he is using Mel as an example (hilarious for many reasons;)), but it applies to others as well. Video in link if you want a listen :cheers:

GRRM:

Magic is the hardest thing to write, in some ways. The dragons, and the other things—the spells—I try to handle those very carefully and dance around them. Even with a character like Melisandre—is she really doing magic, or is she bluffing in some senses, or what’s going on. I try to give a little subtlety and ambiguity there.

I think there’s a lot of fantasy out there that overdoes the magic, and they don’t really think about the effect the magic would have on society as a whole. Because if you really do have wizards who can wipe out an entire army of a hundred thousand people by reciting a spell and waving their wand, why would the lords even assemble an army of a hundred thousand people? That just seems stupid if one wizard can go ‘boogity-boo’ and everybody is dead.

https://www.tor.com/2018/11/26/george-rr-martin-fire-and-blood-book-event-video-john-hodgman/

7 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Only have a quick second and I know I am tagged a few times here, but I will have to reply to those tomorrow (sorry :blush:)... BUT, this is what I wanted to share and it took me a few word combo's to find the quote.

There is no "recipe" and/or it won't be revealed to use measly muggles.  I know he is using Mel as an example (hilarious for many reasons;)), but it applies to others as well. Video in link if you want a listen :cheers:

GRRM:

Magic is the hardest thing to write, in some ways. The dragons, and the other things—the spells—I try to handle those very carefully and dance around them. Even with a character like Melisandre—is she really doing magic, or is she bluffing in some senses, or what’s going on. I try to give a little subtlety and ambiguity there.

I think there’s a lot of fantasy out there that overdoes the magic, and they don’t really think about the effect the magic would have on society as a whole. Because if you really do have wizards who can wipe out an entire army of a hundred thousand people by reciting a spell and waving their wand, why would the lords even assemble an army of a hundred thousand people? That just seems stupid if one wizard can go ‘boogity-boo’ and everybody is dead.

https://www.tor.com/2018/11/26/george-rr-martin-fire-and-blood-book-event-video-john-hodgman/

There needs to be a cost to magic, to avoid that problem.  Melisandre finds it agonising, for example.  She does work magic, but also uses parlour tricks.

9 hours ago, Rufus Snow said:

True, true. I think we see this through Arya's arc within the Faceless Men episodes - a sacrifice is measured by how much it means to you. That's what makes the FM sooooo expensive... they expect a sacrifice, not just an offering - they want ISAAC not the Lamb!

Yes, I argued for that in this archived thread and OP of mine

10 hours ago, Rufus Snow said:

True, true. I think we see this through Arya's arc within the Faceless Men episodes - a sacrifice is measured by how much it means to you. That's what makes the FM sooooo expensive... they expect a sacrifice, not just an offering - they want ISAAC not the Lamb!

It's always been the rationale behind child sacrifice;  you have to sacrifice someone who is very dear to you.

love the analysis :)

GRRM included the chapter the visual "... streams of milk flowing ..." so it seems to me that Daenerys potentially offered breast milk to the fire -  was that considered?  & i'm not just typing that to be funny.  quite serious, i want to explore all options because being "milk brothers" seems to be some sort of connection in other character's storylines.  so please consider this.

i think i've read through all the postings, i didn't see anyone refuting the comet or the sacrifice of the horse, nor the breast milk... (just going to quickly review now)  and as such, i have a couple suggestions to the recipe:

(edited to add - oh yes, i read about GRRM not having a recipe for magic, but that doesn't mean that there isn't certain things that are required.  we know Mel needs ingredients to do her stuff et all)

Dragon Hatching Recipe

1. Get pregnant - check

2. Add/Shed blood of horrible brother - check

- add/shed blood of one horse (eating of the heart)

3. Add/Shed blood of unborn - check

4. Sacrifice cruel brother - check

5. Add/Shed your own blood? - check

6. Sacrifice unborn - check

7. Sacrifice husband

- sacrifice one horse

- wait until a (red) comet is visible in the sky

8. Light great fire
(preperation of the pyre - be sure to line the wood up east / west & the third level north to south, from ice to fire)

9. Birthing Song  (the birthing song that DIES - how ironic!)

10. Sacrifice self / or offer up some breast milk

What do you all think ?  valid?

On 3/14/2020 at 12:49 PM, Yaya said:

love the analysis :)

GRRM included the chapter the visual "... streams of milk flowing ..." so it seems to me that Daenerys potentially offered breast milk to the fire -  was that considered?  & i'm not just typing that to be funny.  quite serious, i want to explore all options because being "milk brothers" seems to be some sort of connection in other character's storylines.  so please consider this.

i think i've read through all the postings, i didn't see anyone refuting the comet or the sacrifice of the horse, nor the breast milk... (just going to quickly review now)  and as such, i have a couple suggestions to the recipe:

(edited to add - oh yes, i read about GRRM not having a recipe for magic, but that doesn't mean that there isn't certain things that are required.  we know Mel needs ingredients to do her stuff et all)

Dragon Hatching Recipe

1. Get pregnant - check

2. Add/Shed blood of horrible brother - check

- add/shed blood of one horse (eating of the heart)

3. Add/Shed blood of unborn - check

4. Sacrifice cruel brother - check

5. Add/Shed your own blood? - check

6. Sacrifice unborn - check

7. Sacrifice husband

- sacrifice one horse

- wait until a (red) comet is visible in the sky

8. Light great fire
(preperation of the pyre - be sure to line the wood up east / west & the third level north to south, from ice to fire)

9. Birthing Song  (the birthing song that DIES - how ironic!)

10. Sacrifice self / or offer up some breast milk

What do you all think ?  valid?

Nice catch with the breast milk. This may be a nod to Drogo's 'breast milk' as well. 

You're right, we kind of did disregard the horse! Mirri tells us it's needed for it's blood. I don't think it has to be a horse but certainly the horse wasn't killed for no reason. Drogo was literally in a blood bath. I like the noting of Dany eating the heart as well. 

The red comet definitely has something to do with it. I've always wondered; did the red comet come because Dany was getting ready to hatch dragons? Or were the dragons only able to hatch because the comet came? 

I do think Dany's breast milk may have been significant but I don't think it would/could take the place of the rebirth/sacrifice. I think she had to walk into those flames & be 'reborn' 

Archived