Weird Nature/Biology

Conflicting Thought

Hi peoples,

For some time now i have been increasingly facinated by the stranges of nature, but, more specifically, insects and their (to my human eyes) alien behaviour and looks. I recently also saw the movie Annihilation, and that instilled in me a hunger for stories that involved the mixing of the strange and the natural and/or biological worlds.

I've done some research and i have read some books like this all ready, like, The Voorh, Children of Time, the first Annihilation book (and the movie), but i would like to read some of the recommendations that the community might have on the subject, i would also be very interested in Non-Fiction recommnedations too, i searched on google for books and the like on the subject of how strange and facinating insects an other animals are, but found none that satiated my desire. 

Read you later. 

Not insects, but Aldiss' "Helliconia" has some interesting nature (partly evolutionary caused by astronomically plausible "superseasons"). LeGuin's "Left hand of darkness" has humanoids that change their biological sex periodically but it is surprisingly unimportant both for their society and even less for the plot (nevertheless a book that deserves its status as a classic).

2 hours ago, bms295 said:

Shadows of the apt. Its by the same author as Children of Time and also fits your criteria fairly well.

Tchaikovsky does like weird biology in his plotlines. His SF novel Dogs of War would be another good example.

thanks for the recs!.  i will check those books. its kinda hard to find books that speak on the strangeness and the horror of insects and other biological things , you would think that there would be plenty of material but i´ve had a difficult time finding it.

i did found an article that scratchess this particular itch.  https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1973/11/the-force-that-drives-the-flower/308963/?single_page=true

I've been trying to get my hands on a copy of Bernard Werber's Empire of the Ants (Les Fourmis) for some time now. Never read it but sounds interesting.

Maybe Robert Repino's War with No Name series?

An obscure series that fits your "weird biology" criterion is Brian Stableford's Genesys trilogy (Serpent's Blood, Salamander's Fire and Chimera's Cradle). It takes place on a planet colonised by humans who have descended to a medieval level of technology because all human artefacts rot away within weeks. The strange ecosystem of the planet drives the plot and is the most interesting part of the trilogy (there are some touches of horror).

However it is out of print I think, so it may not be simple to find copies.

Archived