Star Wars: the First Time is always Special

Gaston de Foix

1 minute ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Seconds after saying Ben saying he can't see her surroundings he sees Luke (who, btw, is closed off to the force).  Mystifying. 

He doesn't see Luke, he senses him through Rey. He basically  can tell that Rey sees Luke, if that makes any sense. 

On 6/16/2020 at 2:25 PM, Werthead said:

Kennedy has made some bad choices - not having an overall vision for the sequel trilogy - but she's made some pretty good ones. We got The MandalorianRogue One and Rebels under her watch, which have all been excellent.

Disagree with you on The Mandalorian. It was better than the sequel trilogy, but still far from a quality product. I feel like people cut that one way more slack because they desperately want to believe that Star Wars can still be somewhat good.

On 6/16/2020 at 6:16 PM, Rhom said:

Well, that lasted until he hit the recent films where we weren't young!  :lol: 

Speak for yourself. I'm still spry :P

On 6/16/2020 at 5:56 PM, Raja said:

Nah, I was mostly happy with TFA and very pleased with TLJ - Kennedy and team made one solid if not *slightly* derivative TFA and TLJ to me was very very good. It's a shame what happened to TROS, clearly they were crunched for time & hiring Terrio was also questionable. They should have pushed it back but I guess that's hard to do at a place like Disney.

Meh, TFA was derivative as hell and boring to boot. TLJ is uneven, but at least tries to offer a genuinely fresh take on the material. It even lands quite a few good ideas which are instantly wasted in TROS. (

Spoiler

TLI also has quite a few bad ones: canto blight, wasting Phasma, the Holdo manoever, space Leia, etc.)

. TROS on the other hand, is one of the few films which doesn't just suck on its own accord, but through its horrifically stupid decisions manages to undermine pretty much the entire fabric of the Star Wards Universe.

I'm not a particularly huge SW fan compared most people in this thread, but I'm genuinely surprised by how good-natured most rabid SW fans are about TROS. They all seem to agree that it sucks, but from a storytelling perspective every single decision seems to be made to piss all over the internal logic and consistency of this universe. 

2 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Velt, do you mind using spoilers? I'm sure I'm the sole denizen on this thread who hasn't watched the movies but I am reading all the posts, even if many of them are going over my head....

Apologies, I thought you had finished TLJ. Added spoilertags.

31 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Disagree with you on The Mandalorian. It was better than the sequel trilogy, but still far from a quality product. I feel like people cut that one way more slack because they desperately want to believe that Star Wars can still be somewhat good.

The Mandalorian is good Star Wars. I have spoken.

58 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Thanks.  Also Rey lies to Luke about why she shot her blaster.  "Every word in that sentence was wrong." LOL. 

Yep.

As to why Luke turned into this guy waiting to die instead of saving the universe - I think it's a lot about what TFA did. We meet the universe 30 years after the Rebellion won and the Republic was created. And then we come back...and this First Order is around, there are Dark force users that are super powerful killing lots of people and killing people Luke deeply cares about...and he is doing nothing but hiding.

Why? Why has he not only gone away, but made it so that no one can even remotely find him? That's what TFA sets up as a mystery - why Luke hasn't saved the galaxy. Why didn't he come rushing when he felt Han die. Why he didn't come rushing when an entire planet was obliterated. Because that was Luke's character before, willing to sacrifice himself for his friends and his family at great personal cost.

So what changed?

TLJ tries to answer that question in a way that makes sense, while maintaining the pacifism that Luke showed at the end of RoJ and shows the curse of the Skywalker family. 

Archived