Star Wars: the First Time is always Special

Gaston de Foix

7 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

The Praetorians. Unfortunately, sometime after the release of the movie, a glaring error in the fight choreography was pointed out, and I can't unsee it now, so this fight is diminished in my eyes. (The fight choreography isn't really that great, but there is a lot of emotion)

Same, at first that fight scene was my favorite part of the film (it's really impressive in a theater setting), but once the flaws are pointed out it does lessen the impact a bit. Still a great fight due to the emotion involved, but it's not an A+ anymore.

11 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Alright we are in the credulity-stretching subplot. We do get some good character development for Rose, who is rapidly becoming one of my favorite characters. 

I enjoyed this sub plot but don't think it works/fits in the context of the film. A shame.

And now you have reached the film which I do not like. *Sigh* such a waste.

Adam Driver and Daisy Ridley as Kylo Ten and Rey are probably my favourite parts of the new trilogy, both acting wise and in terms of their characters and relationship with one another

7 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

In all seriousness tho, to have Ben Solo choose to face Luke mano-a-mano (which we all expected all along) is made much less powerful when it's clear he's not doing so based on the Jedi code but simply because the alternatives have failed.  Vader was evil but Ben is a nihilist. 

6 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Luke's fate is well done.  As is the symbolism of "the Last Jedi".  I like the homage to Obi-Wan.  

That whole sequence - where we are told for a whole movie that the confrontation is pointless (but we really want it anyway), then we actually get it and it's fucking awesome, and then it turns out that Luke is still staying true to his moral code and his viewpoint that this kind of confrontation is pointless is amazing. It's a great sendoff for Luke, as you said, and ties well into his choices of pacifism and nonviolence in the face of anger and hate. 

Was the introduction of Palpatine as the Final Big Bad an afterthought for the third movie? Because it seems like a clumsy piece of retconning. But it would be even worse if this was the plan from the beginning and they did nothing to seed the plot twist for the first two movies.  

6 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Was the introduction of Palpatine as the Final Big Bad an afterthought for the third movie? Because it seems like a clumsy piece of retconning. But it would be even worse if this was the plan from the beginning and they did nothing to seed the plot twist for the first two movies.  

JJ claimed it was thought of at the time of TFA. A lot of retcon went into this one. And just with Palps, but other stuff, too. 

58 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

The Final Order. Yikes. Where is the Lucasian poetry and gift for evocation? 

All the poetic energy went into the line "I wanna see your brains in the snow." A thing that should never be said on Star Wars. Ever.

47 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

JJ claimed it was thought of at the time of TFA. A lot of retcon went into this one. And just with Palps, but other stuff, too. 

Yeah, too bad he's a fucking liar. Benedict Cabbagepatch IS NOT KAHN, remember?

Archived