Star Wars: the First Time is always Special

Gaston de Foix

I'm glad you're enjoying things! You have inspired me to re-watch the prequels,  myself. I'm surprised how much I'd forgotten. I can't believe that in my early 20s my naive ass didn't think that Jar Jar Binks was a really, super gross stereotype. His scenes are downright hard for me to watch as he keeps saying "meesa sorry!" with his dreadlock ears and oversized lips. What the fuck were they thinking? Jesus.

I've had a celebrity crush on Natalie Portman and Keira Knightley, now that I see TPM was 1999, for 21 years now. Well, Portman - who is six days older than me - since Mars Attacks!, which I remember insisting in high school was way, way cooler than Independance Day. But I digress. That said, man o man, is the script atrocious. Even Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor come off incredibly wooden. Oh well. At least Ian McDarmid is believably smarmy and creepy from the get-go. Just love the moment when he tells Amidala "I *will* be supreme chancellor" a bit more ominously than he needed to, then pulls back to politician mode. The pod race scene is still absolutely terrific cinema.  "Duel of the Fates" is the best thing that happened in the entire prequel trilogy. My downstairs neighbor definitely knew what I was watching last night if he's a nerd whatsoever. Tonight I'll dive in to Episode II, and I'm already wincing at the thought of Portman and Christiansen's romantic dialogue.

23 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Bloody hell this is good. Why didn't they get the same guy to make the prequels?

Be prepared with whatever strong drink is your choice when you get to Episodes VII-IX, which you've probably been hearing us all hate on for the past few years. "Why didn't they get the same guy?" also applies to Ron Fucking Howard being brought on to ruin whatever Lord+Miller had thought up for Solo.

1 hour ago, Argonath Diver said:

Tonight I'll dive in to Episode II, and I'm already wincing at the thought of Portman and Christiansen's romantic dialogue.

Be prepared with whatever strong drink is your choice when you get to Episodes VII-IX, which you've probably been hearing us all hate on for the past few years. "Why didn't they get the same guy?" also applies to Ron Fucking Howard being brought on to ruin whatever Lord+Miller had thought up for Solo.

Yes, it's pretty bad.  Also NP is not given anything to do in III despite the fact she was established as a badass in the first movie.  I get the focus on Anakin but a little more agency for her would have been nice.  I liked the strong female lead in Rogue as well as the light-touch chemistry. 

Was Jedda's fate as the first target of the death star retconned in Rogue 1? 

I wouldn't get too caught up in the retconning stuff, it'll make you go full Scanners. Think of it almost like the Bond series. Okay, theoretically these characters and setting might be the same from movie to movie. Even played by the same people. But movie-to-movie, who the fuck knows? Luckily you're right in the best five hours of the whole series.

1 hour ago, Gaston de Foix said:

I think they rationalized it by saying they just destroyed the city in Rogue One, not a whole planet. 

3 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

I can't believe that in my early 20s my naive ass didn't think that Jar Jar Binks was a really, super gross stereotype. His scenes are downright hard for me to watch as he keeps saying "meesa sorry!" with his dreadlock ears and oversized lips. What the fuck were they thinking? Jesus.

Probably the same thing as when they were creating Watto, especially when they later added that pretty distinctive hat.

Just finished A New Hope. That was ace. Was this the first movie/tv show with dogfights/space fighters?

No, but it was one of the best. The dogfights were patterned directly off of WW2 gun camera footage. They had to invent absurd special effects for 1977 for any of it to work. 

5 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

"Why didn't they get the same guy?" also applies to Ron Fucking Howard being brought on to ruin whatever Lord+Miller had thought up for Solo.

Hey, Solo is the best SW film since the original trilogy!

3 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Yep. I don't feel Rogue One matches up with A New Hope as well as it should. And it was crazy to have Vader cutting down a bunch of random redshirts when he could have been taking out the actual protagonists.

24 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

No, but it was one of the best. The dogfights were patterned directly off of WW2 gun camera footage.

What pre-Star Wars had space fighter dogfights?

11 minutes ago, felice said:

What pre-Star Wars had space fighter dogfights?

Ya know, I thought some movies did, but they ended up being bad copies of Star Wars and came out afterwards. Star Wars was really the first. Prior to that there were some really cool dogfight movies, but they were all historically based (like Tora Tora Tora). 

1 hour ago, felice said:

Hey, Solo is the best SW film since the original trilogy!

Yep. I don't feel Rogue One matches up with A New Hope as well as it should. 

Well I don't mind ar all when I completely disagree with someone else's taste - the world would be boring otherwise! So I cheerfully think you're an inoffensive yet condescending local idiom of your choice!:grouphug:

5 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Just finished A New Hope. That was ace. Was this the first movie/tv show with dogfights/space fighters?

Empire Strikes Back is the best SW gets. Always forget how much i love it until it gets brought up in conversation and I start to think about it again.

I do love The Last Jedi and The Force Awakens though, I think they are very enjoyable, moreso than ANH. R1 is excellent imo. Solo is, for me, just a distinctly average movie. It isn’t bad, but doesn’t exactly stand out.

The less said about RoS the better.

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Empire Strikes Back is the best SW gets.

On my menu tonight. 

8 hours ago, Kalbear said:

No, but it was one of the best. The dogfights were patterned directly off of WW2 gun camera footage. They had to invent absurd special effects for 1977 for any of it to work. 

I believe that.  Even now it's pretty damn impressive.  The only thing that felt underwhelming was the lightsaber duel between Kenobi and Vader considering the pyrotechnics in the prequels.  

It's weird to watch such an influential bit of sci-fi history for the first time.  Am I wrong to detect some SW influences on Ender's Game and the LOTR movie trilogy?

Two questions for which non-spoilery answers would be appreciated.  

1.  Was the character of Obi Wan influenced by Gandalf?

2.  Does Vader already know about Luke/Leia's paternity or does it get revealed to him later on? (don't answer this if it necessarily requires a spoiler). 

13 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

I've had a celebrity crush on Natalie Portman and Keira Knightley, now that I see TPM was 1999, for 21 years now. Well, Portman - who is six days older than me - since Mars Attacks!, which I remember insisting in high school was way, way cooler than Independance Day. 

I was watching the prequels and thinking I finally get why Jonathan Safran Foer was/is so obviously in love with her :) 

https://www.vox.com/2016/7/14/12187884/jonathan-safran-foer-natalie-portman-emails

47 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

On my menu tonight. 

I believe that.  Even now it's pretty damn impressive.  The only thing that felt underwhelming was the lightsaber duel between Kenobi and Vader considering the pyrotechnics in the prequels.  

It's weird to watch such an influential bit of sci-fi history for the first time.  Am I wrong to detect some SW influences on Ender's Game and the LOTR movie trilogy?

Two questions for which non-spoilery answers would be appreciated.  

1.  Was the character of Obi Wan influenced by Gandalf?

2.  Does Vader already know about Luke/Leia's paternity or does it get revealed to him later on? (don't answer this if it necessarily requires a spoiler). 

Ender's Game the movie? Not sure there is any SW influence on the book. As to the LOTR movies, what influence do you detect? I would say that the only influence is that Peter Jackson and his team pushed for technical innovations, just like Lucas did.

As to your questions:

1. Not sure, seems that way, but the main influence on Lucas were Akira Kurosawa's samurai movies.

2. Well how to answer this without a spoiler? Vader believed Padme to have died. He never knew she was pregnant with twins. (He hates sand :P)

I'm pretty sure Vader would have been hesitant to torture Leia if he knew...

You're in luck. Because it's 2020, fans made a "modern" version of that fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to2SMng4u1k

Archived