Star Wars: the First Time is always Special

Gaston de Foix

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

I'm not Irish myself, but one of my best mates was from Killarney. The guy has loved Skellig Michael his entire life, due to his visits with a church group as a boy. He told me about the Star Wars filming far before the movie, as it had a lot of local nerds really excited, apparently. So seeing the movie made these photos he showed me beforehand come to life! It made it even cooler to think about Luke and the Porgs up there, rather than some grouchy groundsmen glaring at shivering kids. He was far more proud of his favorite local landmark being made into a damn Jedi Fortress than actually having interest in anything else about the The Last Jedi. Can't blame him. That place looks otherworldly, that's for certain.

7 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

But I also feel like they may have balked at Harrison Ford's salary demands and decided to kill him off.  Can't trust the suits. 

Ford is rather famously grumpy about Star Wars, which he doesn't seem very fond of (especially as compared to Indiana Jones). He wanted to be killed off in Return of the Jedi, and basically made a requirement for his return (besides an obligatory oodle of cash) in The Force Awakens that he definitely be killed off for good.

7 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Wait, what?  How did she survive in space?  Anyway, I'm glad she made it.  

The Force is strong in her family.

6 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Some would argue, in retrospect, "moronic decision number 1" was giving the director's chair to JJ to begin with...

Who needs retrospect? After the mess he made of Star Trek, it was pretty obvious that there were going to be issues with the Star Wars sequels.

9 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Some would argue, in retrospect, "moronic decision number 1" was giving the director's chair to JJ to begin with...

Well if we go back that far than perhaps we have to slag Kathleen Kennedy's appointment first ;) 

2 hours ago, felice said:

Who needs retrospect? After the mess he made of Star Trek, it was pretty obvious that there were going to be issues with the Star Wars sequels.

He's a hack. The only good thing he ever did was the pilot of Lost.

Kennedy has made some bad choices - not having an overall vision for the sequel trilogy - but she's made some pretty good ones. We got The MandalorianRogue One and Rebels under her watch, which have all been excellent.

8 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

I'm not Irish myself, but one of my best mates was from Killarney. The guy has loved Skellig Michael his entire life, due to his visits with a church group as a boy. He told me about the Star Wars filming far before the movie, as it had a lot of local nerds really excited, apparently. So seeing the movie made these photos he showed me beforehand come to life! It made it even cooler to think about Luke and the Porgs up there, rather than some grouchy groundsmen glaring at shivering kids. He was far more proud of his favorite local landmark being made into a damn Jedi Fortress than actually having interest in anything else about the The Last Jedi. Can't blame him. That place looks otherworldly, that's for certain.

A large reason for us getting around to watching TFA was the number of locations it used that we know well. Skellig, but also Greenham Common air base (the Rebel base) and Borrowdale in the Lake District (Maz's cantina).

What is not to like about X-wings skimming over the surface of Derwent Water?

4 hours ago, felice said:

This is true.  Sadly no one at Disney asked our opinions...

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

Well if we go back that far than perhaps we have to slag Kathleen Kennedy's appointment first ;)

He's a hack. The only good thing he ever did was the pilot of Lost.

What Wert said for the first part.

For the second, I actually long, occasionally, for the innocent zaniness that was the early days of Alias...it's almost as if he's sorta okay on the start of television ideas without being able to follow through...so yeah, I guess hack works...

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

This is true.  Sadly no one at Disney asked our opinions...

It seems like it would be so simple to just have a basic outline and then let good writers fill in the surroundings...

It amazes me that executives who make more than I ever could and understand more of the industry than I ever will somehow missed on this simple concept.

Nah, I was mostly happy with TFA and very pleased with TLJ - Kennedy and team made one solid if not *slightly* derivative TFA and TLJ to me was very very good. It's a shame what happened to TROS, clearly they were crunched for time & hiring Terrio was also questionable. They should have pushed it back but I guess that's hard to do at a place like Disney.

Remember when this thread was a delight and people were happy to see an unvarnished, new viewpoint of the films and relive their youth through those eyes?

Good times, good times.

18 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Remember when this thread was a delight and people were happy to see an unvarnished, new viewpoint of the films and relive their youth through those eyes?

Good times, good times.

Well, that lasted until he hit the recent films where we weren't young!  :lol: 

Archived