Star Wars: the First Time is always Special

Gaston de Foix

6 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Do you agree with @Corvinus85 that I should watch the shows? And if so should I watch the shows before/without watching the movies? 

I think you should watch the sequels. They are fun and entertaining. And there are some really cool things. 

21 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Just want to reiterate that I'm fascinated reading your thoughts on your first watches.

1. ESB

2. ANH

3. TLJ

Don't let anyone tell you differently.

Is that not what everyone thinks? I thought pretty much every nerd in history has ESB at the best. It's the one I have framed, anyway. 

I've finished up my re-watch of the prequel trilogy, after Gaston's adventures. Not as interesting as Gaston's first-watch fun, but it as a good time after more than a decade from seeing them. They're a far better story than the putrid "trilogy" the last three are labelled as. Plenty of corny shit,  as we all expect. But, man oh man is the dialogue just an embarrassment. I've never been on a film set, but I can't imagine anyone involved not saying "Hey guys that was terrible, maybe we should tweak this line?"  Still, the Duel of the Fates popping in and out of the scores, and plenty of very thrilling action scenes made them much more fun than I expected. 

Gaston, good luck with Eps 7-9. Try to witness them through a veil of millions of lifelong Star Wars nerds, all of us fiending at the bit hoping for an incredible finale. Spoiler alert, they're not going to make any goddamn sense.

Just now, Argonath Diver said:

Is that not what everyone thinks? I thought pretty much every nerd in history has ESB at the best. It's the one I have framed, anyway. 

I've finished up my re-watch of the prequel trilogy, after Gaston's adventures. Not as interesting as Gaston's first-watch fun, but it as a good time after more than a decade from seeing them. They're a far better story than the putrid "trilogy" the last three are labelled as. Plenty of corny shit,  as we all expect. But, man oh man is the dialogue just an embarrassment. I've never been on a film set, but I can't imagine anyone involved not saying "Hey guys that was terrible, maybe we should tweak this line?"  Still, the Duel of the Fates popping in and out of the scores, and plenty of very thrilling action scenes made them much more fun than I expected. 

Gaston, good luck with Eps 7-9. Try to witness them through a veil of millions of lifelong Star Wars nerds, all of us fiending at the bit hoping for an incredible finale. Spoiler alert, they're not going to make any goddamn sense.

I seem to be one of the few who rates TLJ as highly as I do.

Just now, The Great Unwashed said:

I seem to be one of the few who rates TLJ as highly as I do.

I'm with you in a way. It is definitely my favorite of the three  newer ones. I know the mountain of venomous hatred against it, but without dragging Gaston into that discussion, I thought it was pretty alright and really dug what Rian Johnson wanted to do. But we've all been over that for dozens of threads :D

21 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

I think there's been a big shift in how actors approach these films and nerd culture generally.  NP, Ewan McGregor etc are great actors.  But I'd be surprised if they took these movies seriously enough to complain about dialogue quality.  They get paid the big bucks to turn up on set on time and deliver their lines without creating a fuss.

It's very different with the Henry Cavills who actively embrace nerd culture and look for ways to engage with it. 

I'm glad my first watch inspired you to rewatch though!  That was Yoda's only fight scene in the movies!  

From all accounts daisy Ridley, oscar isaac, Kelly Marie tran and John Boyega all took it very to heart and seriously. Mark Hamill as well. Alec Guinness famously hated it. Harrison Ford looked at it the same way he does all of them - as a paycheck. 

5 hours ago, Astromech said:

Hmm surprised nobody has mentioned The Ewok Adventure, Ewoks: The Battle for Endor or the most glaring omission, The Star  Wars Holiday Special. Life Day is the best holiday.

This is clearly the best suggestion out of all of the ones offered.

I gleefully await the reports on these.

7 hours ago, Kalbear said:

From all accounts daisy Ridley, oscar isaac, Kelly Marie tran and John Boyega all took it very to heart and seriously. Mark Hamill as well. Alec Guinness famously hated it. Harrison Ford looked at it the same way he does all of them - as a paycheck. 

Yeah the new cast all seemed very enthusiastic about their involvement. Gwendoline Christie too.

I think Ewan McGregor was also pretty serious about it and his role in the series too. 

ETA: coincidentally, Rogue One is on ITV this evening, so that's my plans sorted

The Last Jedi has one of the best behind the scenes documentary stuff I've seen - anyone who's a star wars fan should one hundred percent be watching that! It's called the Director and the Jedi ( I don't know how people who didn't like TLJ would like it, I love TLJ ( though not the biggest fan of the humour) so I really enjoyed the documentary)

I love the moments with Rian & Mark Hamill

@Gaston de FoixMy biggest problem with the sequel trilogy has been its strong dependency on other media to understand the background. The OT, as I mentioned before, has a simplistic but effective way to introduce you to the universe, and you learn meaningful things about it as the story moves along. The prequel trilogy give you a bigger, more complex world, and it invites you to seek out more about it. The sequels make it a requirement.

11 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

They must have filled his pockets with gold tho...

About $4 billion if I recall correctly.

And did the Falcon have a gunner position? I don't remember that.  

Yes, 2 in fact. Recall when Han and Luke defend against TIE fighters after they escape the first Death Star. "I got one!" "Don't get cocky, kid!"

Alright, we leave Jakka behind.  Rey seems to have a natural talent for flying.  A descendant of Anakin? 

:( (I'll say no more)

10 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

I used to be.  Sadder words were ne'er spoken.  Do we ever learn the story of the Kessel run?

So you didn't watch Solo? I haven't kept track of the entire thread.

9 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

@Gaston de Foix

:( (I'll say no more)

So you didn't watch Solo? I haven't kept track of the entire thread.

No Solo or shows yet.  I have watched, in order, the prequels, R1, and the OT.  and now midway through the first sequel (titles are all blurring together, sorry).  Should I stop and watch Solo first? 

my ranking so far is ESB, ANH, Return, R1, Prequel 3, 1, 2.  So far enjoying Sequel 1 although wishing Reya and Finn would get somewhere already. 

31 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

No Solo or shows yet.  I have watched, in order, the prequels, R1, and the OT.  and now midway through the first sequel (titles are all blurring together, sorry).  Should I stop and watch Solo first? 

my ranking so far is ESB, ANH, Return, R1, Prequel 3, 1, 2.  So far enjoying Sequel 1 although wishing Reya and Finn would get somewhere already. 

Actually don't hurry to watch Solo just yet. Better to watch the Clone Wars first, actually.

Archived