Football: Glories of future past in the Age of Apocalypse.

2 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Yellow?

Lee Mason, there are rules. 

VAR agrees. One on one with keeper is now not a goal scoring opportunity. 

Replays suggest to these blue tinted eyes that the desicion was worse than I thought. 

Mason out!

Just now, polishgenius said:

Yeah, if you'd scored from that freekick from a perfectly good challenge by Bednarek Southampton would be steaming.

My blue glasses tell me you're full of it. And they are never wrong!

5 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Bruno is a known diver since his days at Sporting.I'm surprised it took him this long to start diving at United.:P

Bruno can dive but even if you don't think it was a penalty it definitely wasn't a dive, what are people even looking at here?

I saw one person on twitter comparing it to that Salah incident against Brighton a while back and it's nothing like that either.

7 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Greenwood is ruining the lives of all those football journalists who make a living off Sancho to United click bait articles.

Nah, we need Sancho either way. We've got four goalscoring forwards but we still need a creator.

Anyway, that thing about never letting Greenwood have defenders between him and the goal when he gets it around the edge of the box still stands.

eta: having seen the pen again I can see what youse lot are talking about now, though I still think it's a giveable penalty.

51 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Greenwood is ruining the lives of all those football journalists who make a living off Sancho to United click bait articles.

There are a few reliable journos saying that Sancho is a target for us. Dunno whether United will pay what Dortmund are asking for (reportedly €120m). If not for the losses due to this pandemic, that wouldn't be too bad a fee to pay (less than what Barca paid for Dembele -- add-ons included -- and Sancho is the better player). If we don't qualify for the CL then I can't see this transfer happening. Also RW is not the only position Solskjaer is looking to strengthen. According to Ducker who is fairly reliable for us, a CB, midfielder, and CF (when Ighalo leaves in Jan) are on the transfer wishlist.

12 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

If not for the losses due to this pandemic, that wouldn't be too bad a fee to pay (less than what Barca paid for Dembele -- add-ons included -- and Sancho is the better player).

You could argue over whether it's a reasonable fee to pay for Sancho, I'd say probably not even with how good he is, it's definitely a stupid amount of money to pay for the difference between Sancho and Greenwood if he ends up being as good as he looks.

A real sign of how we've gone from struggling to beat the teams we should be beating to just rolling over them.

6 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

You could argue over whether it's a reasonable fee to pay for Sancho, I'd say probably not even with how good he is, it's definitely a stupid amount of money to pay for the difference between Sancho and Greenwood if he ends up being as good as he looks.

You're the second person I've seen say that this week, and it's like... first, although he's obviously playing there now and looking great, Greenwood isn't really set in a position as a right forward, and second, great as he looks, he's (1) a teenage prospect who's been a regular for like four games and (2)  a goalscorer, a very different sort of player to Sancho's creativity, an area we still need improvement in. It would be absolute madness not to get one of the best players in the world, and a player in a role we need, because a prospect who doesn't even necessarily major in that position might get put out.

He's gonna cost too much but Sancho doesn't just give us another great player, he gives us options. If we can get him and don't we've gone wrong.

1 minute ago, ljkeane said:

Greenwood is a CF who can play RW so I wouldn't mind us signing Sancho and having Greenwood for RW and CF. Ighalo leaves in January too so that'll leave 5 players for three positions. It's good to have some quality depth. I'd rather we upgrade the attacking midfield position rather than looking for another CF - Lingard, Pereira and Mata are massive downgrades on Fernandes and all should be offloaded asap. 

16 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

It would be absolute madness not to get one of the best players in the world, and a player in a role we need, because a prospect who doesn't even necessarily major in that position might get put out.

I mean, you're already playing two of the more creative midfielders in the league in the team you've currently got I'm not really seeing why you need more creative players in the side? You've also got someone who clearly has the potential to be a top class right forward even if it isn't guaranteed as a young prospect.

It's not a question of Greenwood being put out it's a question of allocation of resources. Right winger doesn't look like an area it's worth investing heavily to me at United. Blowing £100 million plus on a good player who doesn't add that much value to the side seems like a very Ed Woodward kind of signing to me.

9 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I mean, you're already playing two of the more creative midfielders in the league in the team you've currently got I'm not really seeing why you need more creative players in the side?

Because those two are literally the only two seriously creative players we have, and we've already had piles of evidence that Pogba does not enjoy being the sole one, should Bruno get injured or go off form. And even without that, they're both ultimately passers-from-center- teams are gonna eventually get wise and pack the middle to cut those routes off, at which point it will be essential to have someone whose primary creative path is dribbling from out wide.

Creative variety is still the area we need to invest most heavily in. We have four goalscorers (five till Ighalo leaves); a true striker would still be of use though Martial is growing into the role and as we've said it's probably Greenwood's primary long-term position, and there aren't really any glaringly obvious options there. Defence can do with some tuning but we've got one of the best defensive records in the league, it's not urgent. Likewise in midfield we could do with someone of the Ruben Neves sort to replace Matic and backup for the passers further forward, but again, not that urgent. Buying Sancho would be the biggest single improvement I think we can realistically make in one go, by quite a long way.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE QUARTER FINAL DRAW

Remaining last-16 fixtures on 7-8 August.

Champions League quarter-finals to be played August 12-15 (Lisbon)

Man City/Real Madrid vs Juventus/Lyon

RB Leipzig vs Atletico Madrid 

Barcelona/Napoli vs Bayern Munich/Chelsea

Atalanta vs PSG

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE SEMI-FINAL DRAW

Champions League semi-finals to be played August 18-19 (Lisbon)

Man City/Real Madrid or Juventus/Lyon vs Barcelona/Napoli or Bayern Munich/Chelsea

RB Leipzig/Atletico Madrid vs Atalanta/PSG

EUROPA LEAGUE QUARTER-FINAL DRAW

Remaining last-16 fixtures on 5-6 August.

Europa League quarter-finals to be played August 10/11:

Shakhtar Donetsk/Wolfsburg vs Basel/Eintracht Frankfurt

Manchester United/LASK vs Copenhagen/Istanbul Basaksehir

Inter Milan/Getafe vs Bayer Leverkusen/Rangers

Wolves/Olympiakos vs Sevilla/Roma 

EUROPA LEAGUE SEMI-FINAL DRAW

Europa League semi-finals to be played August 16/17:

Wolves/Olympiakos or Sevilla/Roma vs Manchester United/LASK or Copenhagen/Istanbul Basaksehir

Inter/Getafe or Bayer Leverkusen/Rangers vs Shakhtar Donetsk/Wolfsburg or Basel/Eintracht Frankfurt

Archived