Football: Glories of future past in the Age of Apocalypse.

He's been fine this evening, but our performance in general has been meh yet again.

I can't think of more than 4 games this season where we've genuinely played well and looked comfortable throughout. The 3 points are the most important thing, sure, but why can't we have both the win and the performance more often?

14 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

I think he's shown this evening that he's cover for right back and nothing more.

He’s 19 and it’s his first Premier League start in an unfamiliar position. Give it a bit more time before writing him off.

4 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

He’s 19 and it’s his first Premier League start in an unfamiliar position. Give it a bit more time before writing him off.

I'm not writing him off, just saying that he's not ready yet. The fact does remain though that the vast majority of our youth prospects haven't made the grade in recent years, so I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Really though we don't want to be putting ourselves in a position where we have to rely on kids. There are a few key positions in the squad where if we lose a player or two we'll be stuffed. If VVD gets injured we'll concede five every game.

You know what I would quite happily see us buy Richarilson as a secondary option for all of our forward positions, since he can convincingly play them all. And also he's a prime shitlord king and hustler and we need a bit more bad attitude (even if he dives a bit too much - he hasn't this game, mostly just been kicked).

Well, we've been extremely poor this first half.. Can't get worse in the second, surely.

Also, Southampton are very aggressive, and they are winning every duel. But the times where they miss .. dangerous.

2 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Well, we've been extremely poor this first half.. Can't get worse in the second, surely.

Also, Southampton are very aggressive, and they are winning every duel. But the times where they miss .. dangerous.

Your central midfield seems to be a problem. Good players individually in it but it doesn't fit together as something with anywhere near enough energy, either offensively or defensively.

I think that is the area which will need a closer look before next season starts. Gomes is on and off, Davies has lots of energy but struggles with positioning, Sigurdsson lacks tempo, Iwobi is extremely variable from pass to pass. 

Gordon is young. Will reserve judgement for now - I think he looks promising.

Archived