Round of 16: France vs Switzerland

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

But at the same time Benzema was in his early 20s while Gaetz was older than I am today, in his mid to late 30s. 

Also, there's some parallels with France and Florida there.....

Also just checked again.

The girl refused to testiy against them, and repeatedly said, that she lied about her age to them.

She had picked up designing high class underwear. And even if I get stoned for that statement. Zahia Dehar was hot (the 21 y.o. version who did not testify).

6 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Also just checked again.

The girl refused to testiy against them, and repeatedly said, that she lied about her age to them.

She had picked up designing high class underwear. And even if I get stoned for that statement. Zahia Dehar was freaking hot (the 21 y.o. version who did not testify).

Unluckily for Gaetz it sounds like the minor in his scandal is talking.

ZD isn't my cup of tea, but I can understand why someone would be attracted to her.

Another great game, a great day for football, indeed. This was France's game to lose, and they lost it. Mbappe had a poor game, Coman helped drive France on to the level they were supposed to, but then started being more selfish until his glass legs failed him. Deschamps chose the wrong player, Griezmann, to sub for Sisoko, not realizing he should have taken Pogba out before he made a gaffe in the midfield. The Swiss were good on the wings, as Pavard had another mediocre game, and I'm honestly not sure who was supposed to defend France's left. At least penalty kicks made up for so many missed penalties at this tournament so far.

7 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Another great game, a great day for football, indeed. This was France's game to lose, and they lost it. Mbappe had a poor game, Coman helped drive France on to the level they were supposed to, but then started being more selfish until his glass legs failed him. Deschamps chose the wrong player, Griezmann, to sub for Sisoko, not realizing he should have taken Pogba out before he made a gaffe in the midfield. The Swiss were good on the wings, as Pavard had another mediocre game, and I'm honestly not sure who was supposed to defend France's left. At least penalty kicks made up for so many missed penalties at this tournament so far.

Taking Griezmann out for Sissoko wasn't an obviously wrong move. Griezmann was exhausted, partly because he played 2nd half at RW (that was tactically dubious though, Mbappé or Coman could've played there). Pogba, OTOH, wasn't showing any sign of tiredness, and was having an excellent half. Until...

Rabiot was the LB for France, as Hernandez and Digne were both injured.

And it actually quite worked out. The bigger tactical mistakes from Deschamps were lining up in a 3-5-2 (instead of the fluid 4-4-2 we saw in 2nd half), and choosing Mbappé to shoot the 5th penalty.

40 minutes ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

Taking Griezmann out for Sissoko wasn't an obviously wrong move. Griezmann was exhausted, partly because he played 2nd half at RW (that was tactically dubious though, Mbappé or Coman could've played there). Pogba, OTOH, wasn't showing any sign of tiredness, and was having an excellent half. Until...

I know, I was mainly joking. Pogba played well until that moment. 

35 minutes ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

Pogba, OTOH, wasn't showing any sign of tiredness, and was having an excellent half. Until...

Pogba losing possession on the halfway line wasn't even the biggest issue. France had plenty of players back to deal with it but defensively they were rubbish for the whole game and parted like the red sea. The gap between Varane and Kimpembe was huge which left a big hole straight down the middle. Kante was pretty ineffective as well and looked lost for large parts of the game.

Taking Griezmann out for Sissoko wasn't an obviously wrong move.

Subbing out Griezmann wasn't wrong but bringing on Sissoko was. He's just not good enough. Tolisso should've come on instead. I'm not sure how much difference that would have made anyway. Defensively, France were at sixes and sevens from beginning to end.

Hindsight says that France suffered in part because Dechamps was conservative as hell with his squad selection and picked very few younger players who could have done tactical jobs in moments like this as well as gaining experience. I mean we knew that was true the moment he caved and picked Benzema instead of going with a younger striker coming through, but something like having Sissoko in the squad instead of a Camavinga or even Ndombele, who is neither young nor unknown but only has six caps and was therefore not chosen over Sissoko despite doing quite similar things much better in recent times, because Dechamps went with what he knows. 

It's tough to say picking Benzema was a mistake when he scored four goals in four games. I'm also not sure it was a conservative selection, given Benzema's long absence from the team. 

The French defence did play almost the whole match in a manner that suggested they'd never so much as met before the game, and yeah, Kante was bypassed a lot of the time as well. There were huge holes in the formation that the Swiss could drive through and nobody seemed to know what to do about it. I'm mystified by what the tactical plan was supposed to be: I know they had to adapt to the loss of their left-backs, but that shouldn't have had such a huge knock-on effect throughout the team. 

Speaking of Deschamp's selections, I think that Lenglet was an even bigger mistake than Sissoko. There was no need to select him in a squad that contained Varane, Kimpembe, Kounde, Zouma and Lucas Hernandez. He was coming off a couple of really poor seasons as well. Theo Hernandez should have been selected instead.

1 hour ago, mormonte said:

It's tough to say picking Benzema was a mistake when he scored four goals in four games.

It wasn't a tactical mistake but morally it was. He shouldn't have ever sniffed the France team again, and he only did coz Deschamps got doubts and didn't want to try with the younger guys.

Archived