Do you think Rhaegar knew Jon Connington was gay and in love by him?

Odej

On 9/27/2021 at 1:57 PM, Odej said:

We know about JonCon sexuality

Do we?

He and Rhaegar were close; and he never married. Does that really constitute proof that he's gay?

30 minutes ago, Aebram said:

Do we?

He and Rhaegar were close; and he never married. Does that really constitute proof that he's gay?

to my knowledge George had stated that a PoV character in Dance is gay . Jon is the best option. and he seemed affectionate towards Myles Toyne as well. 

On 9/28/2021 at 5:05 PM, Frey family reunion said:

:dunno:  You would prefer, married man ignores signs of an impending apocalypse so he can have extramarital sex with underage girl, lured from her family without permission?

The Rhaegar-Lyanna storyline is definitely one of my least favourite parts of the series. Not because of what they do, but how it’s framed. I hate the idea that GRRM will make it so all the pain and destruction they caused will have been what ultimately saves the world. Doing terrible things to justify the end result is not a message that I find very useful or meaningful in our age.

Rhaegar being gay could very well be foreshadowed by Connington. That way we have the possibility of Rhaegar as another man‘s love interest already in the back of our heads.

We are so sure in what we perceive as the series’s central lovestory that we shouldn’t be surprised if the author wants to tell a new story - his own.

Being gay in the books isn’t nearly as condemned as people are making it seem, that I remember. The tv show had lots of homophobic jokes but in the books it’s not really talked about that way. The High Sparrow calls it a sin, but similar to sleeping with prostitutes or committing adultery, ie not a big deal and no one else really talks about it in terms that would call it ‘dangerous’. And outside the faith of the seven it’s not even officially some kind of sin that we know of. Being a male prostitute is looked down at the wall, but that connotes a lot more than being gay.

It might even reflect pre-Judeo Christian European societies which mostly didn’t even have distinctions like straight or gay but did kind of look down on men who were sexually submissive. And even in medieval Christian society being gay was not uniformly condemned until you get into the very late medieval period. Ironically homophobia rose with the enlightenment and got worse, not better, as time went on. People have this idea that issues progress in linear fashion but that’s often not true and homophobia might be one of the best examples. 2000 years ago people in western society were miles ahead of where we are now in terms of adult sexual orientation. 

On 9/30/2021 at 1:13 PM, Frey family reunion said:

I think it’s highly possible that Connington may have had a sexual or even romantic relationship with Rhaegar prior to Rhaegar’s marriage To Elia.  Which might partly explain Connington’s feelings towards Elia.  She was the reason that their relationship ended.  Rhaegar had to do his duty and marry and create an heir for the kingdom.

Martin said JonCon love was unrequited.

On 6/1/2022 at 7:41 AM, sifth said:

I know I'm probably wrong, but it my head I always pictured that Rhaegar named Jon Snow, after his best friend, who's true feelings he could never fully return.

Yeah, Jon Snow was named by Ned after Jon Arryn, but I always wondered what would be JonCon reaction if he knew Rhaegar had another son with the same name as him.

Archived