What will be the reactions in the Vale to Sansa's true identity reveal ?

On 1/20/2022 at 12:20 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

It could be another way to stretch out the timeline a bit though. Honestly, a lot more time should have passed by now when you consider how big Westeros is supposed to be.

Yes. This is true.

On a continent as big as South America and with medieval technology, the War of the Five Kings should've lasted for three years instead of just one. Twice as long.

But still, to have Sansa go to King's Landing in The Winds of Winter is to invite another Meereenese Knot. And we all know how that one went...

...but for the ones who don't know (or forgot), the Meereenese Knot is the reason why A Dance with Dragons ended somewhat anticlimactically. I don't know about the Battle of Winterfell at all but the Battle of Meereen was supposed to be included in that book. But with the amount of hoops that GRRM had to jump through to set up the battle and the book-binding standards of the day, it got pushed out.

THAT is probably the main reason why I don't want Sansa go back to King's Landing in The Winds of Winter. And if she does go back, it should only be very temporary and it should be a decision she personally makes or that she agrees with. Not only would it prevent her story from moving forward (aka sending her to Winterfell in season 5 to be victimized and rescued when season 4 was about her developing enough agency to take care of herself) but it just makes things a lot more convoluted and difficult.

Plus, we will already have an abundance of POVs there: Connington, Arianne and maybe even Cersei will already be there. King's Landing doesn't need that many POVs anymore. It did back in the older books when there were a lot of factions in the city and a war going on outside the city. But with the city happily united under Aegon? You really only need one POV and two POVs is doing a bit too much.

3 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

Yes. This is true.

On a continent as big as South America and with medieval technology, the War of the Five Kings should've lasted for three years instead of just one. Twice as long.

But still, to have Sansa go to King's Landing in The Winds of Winter is to invite another Meereenese Knot. And we all know how that one went...

...but for the ones who don't know (or forgot), the Meereenese Knot is the reason why A Dance with Dragons ended somewhat anticlimactically. I don't know about the Battle of Winterfell at all but the Battle of Meereen was supposed to be included in that book. But with the amount of hoops that GRRM had to jump through to set up the battle and the book-binding standards of the day, it got pushed out.

THAT is probably the main reason why I don't want Sansa go back to King's Landing. And if she does go back, it should only be very temporary and it should be a decision she makes or that she agrees with. Not only would it prevent her story from moving forward (aka sending her to Winterfell in season 5 to be victimized and saved when season 4 was about her developing agency) but it just makes things a lot more convoluted and difficult.

Plus, we will already have an abundance of POVs there: Connington, Arianne and maybe even Cersei will already be there. King's Landing doesn't need that many POVs anymore. It did back in the older books when there were a lot of factions in the city and a war going on outside the city. But with the city happily united under Aegon? You really only need one POV and two POVs is doing a bit too much.

I don’t think George struggles too much with King’s Landing. It sounds like AFFC took as long as it did first because he spent a year trying to fix the time gap, and then deciding to split the POVs into two books. 

If the Ashford Tourney Theory is true, then there will be no marriage between Sansa and Aegon. If it’s LF’s plan—which I think it will be, theory or no theory—then this could be her first major break with LF, if she finds a way out of the arrangement on her own. Plus for all we know, there might be more jostling for power between the Stark boys and Stannis that needs to happen before Sansa is set to come in, story-wise.

I think JonCon will probably be fighting battles/dying from greyscale for most of TWOW. He probably won’t be in KL long.

Sansa isn't going back to King's Landing anytime soon, she may take a detour by the Riverlands as part of Littlefinger's plan to take control of the Riverlands and the North, before going home but she isn't going back to KL until it's on her terms and in a position of power. 

I don't believe in Shadrich or anyone's chances to kidnap her and take her to King's Landing especially knowing how much value she has to LF and the means he would use to get her back, the state of the Vale roads and paths in winter and the Mountain Clans posing a possible mortal danger to possible kidnappers.

Most would probably have an opinion somewhat similar to Lysa’s; you got a name but not much else and all you bring with you is trouble. I doubt they care about Joff’s murder but harbouring a fugitive wanted for regicide will definitely break what little ties they have to the crown. Last time King’s Landing demanded an Arryn to hand over a Stark that was under his protection, a war broke out.

Assuming the Tyrion issue will be resolved by then and that Robb’s will would be rendered void then they might see some merit in marrying her off to Sweetrobin seeing as they could make a move for Winterfell though I’m not sure how or why they would. The castle is a ruin and if they claim those territories they’ll need to share their grain with them. Marching an army northwards during winter is a pain as well. This might be a neat card to have come summertime but overall she brings more problems with her than assets.

That being said, Ned was fostered in the Vale and must have made some lasting friendships there, and Sansa is cousin to the current lord so it is expected of them to offer her their protection. Showing her the door would be a bad look and next time they seek to marry outside of their kingdom people will think twice before giving them an answer. GRRM beats us over the head with how honor is the greatest virtue in the Vale and gallantry is sold in bulk there. 

• 9 months later...

I think Sansa will be revealed to Harry as Sansa Stark, and they will marry. Then, Sweetrobin, LF, and Harry die, probably in that order. Sansa is now lady of the vale and - if you believe rickon and bran are dead - lady of the north as well. 

in the meantime, arya and rickon are in winterfell. They each have their own forces. Arya is with, perhaps is leading, the Lady Stoneheart faction of the BWB.

Rickon has the allegiance of some portion, probably nearly 100%, of the northerners at winterfell. This should be a big force. It starts with the northerners who were in the force that marched on deepwood motte; plus northerners picked up around Deepwood Motte; minus those who died from hunger and cold; plus some part of the Karstark contingent that showed up before the battle; plus the manderly force that turns coat during the battle; minus those killed and wounded in battle; plus some part of the northerners at winterfell when it fell (i.e. minus the bolton force and those loyal to bolton, and minus others who just leave). 

Arya and Rickon and their followers are contending with Stannis, and those still loyal to him, for dominance and for the independence of the north. not open war yet, but pressure is building.

Sansa hears of the conflict between Rickon/Arya/north and Stannis and decides to lead a force of vale knights to their aid.

Sansa, arya and Rickon are reunited. Jon and a force of wildlings/NW will arrive after that, and finally, very near the end of the book, Bran and Meera Reed as well. 

WOW will end with the surviving Starks reunited in winterfell.

Bronze Yohn Royce will upset LF's plans as he knows Alayne is really Sansa.  He may show up at the tourney or later, either way, he's gonna blindside LF. 

From Davos II, ADWD,  
Most of what he heard he'd learned in Sisterton, from Lord Godric or the denizens of the Belly of the Whale.....Littlefinger ruled the Vale now, but Bronze Yohn Royce had sworn to bring him down; 

Watch out LF, you pissed off the wrong Lord Declarant.  :fencing:

Archived