HBO Developing Jon Snow Spin-off

Westeros

Via James Hibberd at The Hollywood Reporter, we’ve learned that Kit Harington is attached to star in Jon Snow spin-off series set after the end of Game of Thrones. Suffice it to say, the new has sent shockwaves through fandom, casual and hardcore alike. For our part, it doesn’t seem all that surprising, for the reasons laid out in Deadline‘s confirmation.

read on >>>

View the full article

Hibberd was not wrong. He admitted that he had been told of something to do with Robert's rebellion and then wrongly assumed it was for HBO. It turned out to be the Harrenhal musical instead.

Kit Harington will not be attached to anything other than an HBO show featuring Jon Snow, so very different situation.

Deadline has confirmed. They didn't go to Hibberd for confirmation, they have their own sources. Maybe they went to the same source as Hibberd, but it's still not Hibberd. So this is accurate, however improbable, implausible, or inadvisable you or anyone else may think it.

Just now, Ran said:

Deadline has confirmed. They didn't go to Hibberd for confirmation, they have their own sources. Maybe they went to the same source as Hibberd, but it's still not Hibberd. So this is accurate, however improbable, implausible, or inadvisable you or anyone else may think it.

The only thing that gives me pause about this is that GRRM hasn't mentioned it on his blog.

Fair enough, but Hibberd broke the news on a number of the spin-off projects before George ever did. The news just broke last night, who knows when/if George will feel like posting about it. There was a NaB post just now by a minion about the Blackfyre replica, but that's a minion, not George.

2 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

The only thing that gives me pause about this is that GRRM hasn't mentioned it on his blog.

He said there’s shows he’s not allowed to talk about yet though. And the Sea Snake and Yi Ti news broke before George mentioned it on his blog.

As for Hibberd, keep in mind that the Hollywood Reporter has editors. The article wouldn’t have gone to print if they hadn’t approved it. 

What I’m most curious about is how this effects HOTD. Will it encourage more people to tune in, or will they feel less inclined to now that they’ll (probably) be getting their GOT fix through a sequel?

"Probably" is probably much too strong. HBO has already discarded multiple projects in the search for spin-offs. I wouldn't say it's even 25% likely this will go forward at this stage, even if there's an agreement to have Harington on board if it goes forward. It's clearly in very early stages.

11 minutes ago, Ran said:

"Probably" is probably much too strong. HBO has already discarded multiple projects in the search for spin-offs. I wouldn't say it's even 25% likely this will go forward at this stage, even if there's an agreement to have Harington on board if it goes forward. It's clearly in very early stages.

Maybe, but it’s getting a lot of buzz. It could be embarrassing for them if they don’t go through with it.

14 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

He said there’s shows he’s not allowed to talk about yet though. And the Sea Snake and Yi Ti news broke before George mentioned it on his blog.

I don't want to be a whiner, I really don't, but this idea looks bad no matter how you slice it. If GRRM isn't creatively involved in this show, chances are it won't turn out well. On the other hand, GRRM working on a sequel to the book series that he is (hopefully) still writing is beyond absurd.

7 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Maybe, but it’s getting a lot of buzz. It could be embarrassing for them if they don’t go through with it.

It would be much more embarrassing (and expensive) for them if they did go for it and then it was bad.

They went and spent $30 million on a pilot and reshoots and cancelled that show, they're not going to hesitate to drop this show if it's not developing well.

3 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

I think it's utterly implausible they'd actually consider making this at all

You think it’s “utterly implausible” that they’d consider making a sequel series starring one of the main characters of Game of Thrones?

3 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

and that Hibberd should not have made such a claim without some kind of evidence one way or the other.

The evidence would be his sources at the studio, the same as any other reporting. Unless the company was going to make a news release, this is the norm.

8 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

Taking some hours to think on it, I'm starting to suspect that this is all nothing more than a marketing stunt to promote House of the Dragon. The news sites aren't "lying" as such, but HBO could be giving them fake leaks.

How does this help promote HotD, though? On the contrary, it's taking attention away from it.

4 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

REGARDLESS of the quality of such a project, I think it's utterly implausible they'd actually consider making this at all, and that Hibberd should not have made such a claim without some kind of evidence one way or the other.

I'm criticizing his METHODOLOGY and reporting standards.

Clearly you have a bone to pick with this specific reporter (of which I know nothing about), but I'm really curious what kind of "evidence" Hibberd should have acquired?  Obviously, he had a source, or sources, and went with the story.  Should the credibility of the source(s) be scrutinized?  Of course, but as mentioned that's between him and his editors.  Could the sources be wrong?  Sure!  But even that doesn't in and of itself mean the reporter was lying.  From everything I can tell the story reads like pretty much standard journalistic methodology - and not just entertainment journalism, all journalism.

2 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

As I said ser I'm starting to think my initial conclusion was wrong, and this may be a fake leak that HBO itself propagated to generate buzz for other prequel projects.

Why would this generate buzz for other projects? The only prequel that is anywhere close to needing marketing is House of the Dragon, which has its own campaign.

It's poor reasoning to begin from the premise that the news cannot be legitimate.

Archived