Nolan's Oppenheimer

TheLastWolf

A movie that famously had almost no dialogue in it. Nice. 

-

I think the life of J.R. Oppenheimer is one of those interesting historical "nodes". On top of being a world historical figure, he's someone who, in telling his story, you could drive the wedge in at multiple points and come up with a whole other movie or miniseries or documentary or something. 

This is a movie where Heisenberg, Feynman, and Einstein have walk-on roles for pete's sake. 

18 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I think the life of J.R. Oppenheimer is one of those interesting historical "nodes".

Thing is though, he's not really.  He was the guy the government felt would be the best conduit.  He's really not that special in terms of objective history.  Nolan made him special for a few years.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Thing is though, he's not really.  He was the guy the government felt would be the best conduit.  He's really not that special in terms of objective history.  Nolan made him special for a few years.

Sure he is. The Manhattan project and the A-Bomb would be enough in itself. Throw in Cold-War paranoia, the red scare, HUAC, and the labor movement. Also years of government surveillance of not just him but the people around him (the reason his life is so well documented), and a bonafide conspiracy theory (Jean Tatlock's 'suicide'). 

...And Barbie. 

-

As far as a more rounded version of the bomb story, episode 3 of Oliver Stone's Secret History of the United States is pretty good.  

3 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

As far as a more rounded version of the bomb story, episode 3 of Oliver Stone's Secret History of the United States is pretty good.  

How many minutes is the run time for Stones episode?

6 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

How many minutes is the run time for Stones episode?

Found it, IMBD rates it 8.5

Looks like its 58 minutes, I prefer a few hours, not a fan of super condensed stuff usually, but I'll give it a look.

18 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I suppose?  I was exposed to Kuznick's spiel on it twenty years ago when I was at AU - and that's all Stone is reiterating in that show.  Regardless, if you are relying on Oliver Stone for American History, you might as well hit whatever pipe you prefer.

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I could only get the next episode-4 The Cold War 

available to me on my streaming, unless I do the PPV thingy, aint happening.

16 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Huh.

I purchased the series on youtube a while ago and now they're gone. As in, gone from youtube. Without so much as a, "by your leave". 

That's rude. 

...Scratch that. I still have them but now they're unlisted. And apparently the channel is unlisted. I can find them if I do a google search, but not if I search youtube. Weird.