Nolan's Oppenheimer

TheLastWolf

21 hours ago, Mladen said:

"Nature's way of healing." :lmao:

I have to agree with Denis. I thought this film would be successful, but if you told me it would do Dr Strange MoM moneys, I'd have said you were nuts. 

20 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Hope Killers of the Flower Moon also makes a killing at the box office….and that The Marvels flops :P 

That's mean. You're being mean.

They can both have some moneys. 

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I have to agree with Denis. I thought this film would be successful, but if you told me it would do Dr Strange MoM moneys, I'd have said you were nuts. 

That's mean. You're being mean.

They can both have some moneys. 

Sole screenwriter too. My man has grown as more than just a director. A filmmaker.

22 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I don't think anyone could have predicted OPPENHEIMER becoming such big success. I mean, it surpassed both INCEPTION and INTERSTELLAR, two movies that had such incredible popularity. I am very happy for Nolan. It is truly incredible achievement and I think many are happy because it proved people will come to the theatres for a good story. 

Having said that, here is another information. The distribution rights in America are for 100 days (henceforth, don't expect OPPENHEIMER on VOD anytime soon). Today (September, 21st) is is 62nd day of release. Meaning, OPPENHEIMER will stay in cinemas for another 38 days. I suppose they will soon end, and then leave couple of weeks for Oscar campaign. 

6 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Not so much when you account for ticket price inflation. But yeah, still pretty amazing, especially when you consider that the films you mention both benefitted from a pg-13 rating. 

Even f you adjust inflation, it still surpasses INTERSTELLAR, and is relatively close to INCEPTION (adjusted for inflation, it is below $1,2B). But, as you said, those were PG-13 movies, OPPENHEIMER is R-rated. Not to mention that cinema landscape has drastically changed post-COVID. 

Also 3 hour runtime limits showings even further, not to mention the smaller marketing and production budgets in creating buzz…I’m pretty sure this must be his most profitable movie ever ,despite ranking lower than the dark knight flicks in revenue and adjusting for inflation. Good for him, hope he continues with Universal and tells Zaslav to fuck off in trying to woo him back 

3 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Also 3 hour runtime limits showings even further, not to mention the smaller marketing and production budgets in creating buzz…I’m pretty sure this must be his most profitable movie ever ,despite ranking lower than the dark knight flicks in revenue and adjusting for inflation. Good for him, hope he continues with Universal and tells Zaslav to fuck off in trying to woo him back 

Of all his box office successes, OPPENHEIMER has the lowest budget. INCEPTION had $160M, INTERSTELLAR $165M and BATMAN movies are circa $200M. OPPENHEIMER practically rode on Barbieheimer marketing. WB spent some $150M in marketing of BARBIE and obviously it helped OPPENHEIMER too. One day, someone will do the analysis of what happened this July and it will be interesting to see how this synergy helped both movies.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Very interesting interview on NPR radio over the Japanese release.

The Japanese academic's chief complaint was over too narrow of a perspective was presented and we missed the opportunity to hear from more voices on the recieving end of the decisions to test, use and build up tbe program post war.

Namely the voices from Japanese, Koreans, Pacific Islanders and inhabitants of the Western tribal lands, all of whom were affected by the Manhattan Project and its aftermath.

"The film's release in Japan, more than eight months after it opened in the U.S., had been watched with trepidation because of the sensitivity of the subject matter."

18 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Very interesting interview on NPR radio over the Japanese release.

...subject matter...

This is the thing that gets me about these kinds of discussions of this film; including multiple recent articles with titles like, "What 'Oppenheimer' left out", or, "What 'Oppenheimer' should have included":

This is a biopic of J. Robert Oppenheimer. It is not a movie about the Manhattan project and it is not a movie about the bombing of Hiroshima. Both really interesting subjects that feature heavily in the film, but ultimately not the films central focus.

Plus it's 3 hours long and barely pauses to breathe the whole way through. And is there anyone who comes out of that film thinking the bombing of Hiroshima was no big deal? 

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

4 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

This is the thing that gets me about these kinds of discussions of this film; including multiple articles that have been published in the last month with titles like, "What 'Oppenheimer' left out", or, "What 'Oppenheimer' should have included":

This is a biopic of J. Robert Oppenheimer. It is not a movie about the Manhattan project and it is not a movie about the bombing of Hiroshima. Both really interesting subjects that feature heavily in the film, but ultimately not the films central focus.

Plus it's 3 hours long and barely pauses to breathe the whole way through. And is there anyone who comes out of that film thinking the bombing of Hiroshima was no big deal? 

Yeah I think theres that big  divide of where the audience reception is very different from one country to the next.

The Japanese Professor was discussing that difference and describing what motivates it. I think she fealt within the 3 hours Nolan could have broke some new ground covering some of the voices we havent heard much from on this topic, perspective beyond the science and politics I believe was how she described Asian complaints of the film.

I come away feeling Id very much like to see this subject from those pov's in a 2nd separate film and think I could apreciate each. 

I think Japanese viewers have every right to feel as if they were not represented.  I recall with Dunkirk there was..well, not exactly similar criticisms, but overall kinda similar.  In both cases, it simply wasn't the movie Nolan intended to make.  And he has that right.

Frankly, I don't think Nolan should be making a movie that is more racially/ethnically diverse.  He doesn't really know how to do that - just as he doesn't really know how to make women interesting characters.  

Important thing to emphasize though is that doesn't make him racist nor sexist.  He's just bad with people he doesn't identify with.  So's Scorsese, btw.  And countless other directors.  They gravitate towards what they know.  Absolutely nothing wrong with that.