Let’s talk about castles

The Bard of Banefort

1 minute ago, Craving Peaches said:

Well it's more like Theon broke in and then Ramsay came in after. So Theon did all the hard work. But I think Ramsay still technically took the castle from Theon.

Ok, both Winterfell and End twice then

9 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

If there’s one thing Westeros has in in spades, it’s castles. Which one’s your favorite? Least favorite? Which ones are most overrated, or deserve more love? I’ll start.

my favorite so far is High Tide. I'm dying to see Starfall and Reed's Castle(grey water watch?) 

I do not like Pyke and I think I'd be damned in Harrenhal!

good call on Stormsend . I think it's overrated too , alongside with Highgarden.

Just now, EggBlue said:

good call on Stormsend . I think it's overrated too

But...but anti-magic barriers! :(

I want my castle with anti-magic barriers to help against the Others.

1 minute ago, EggBlue said:

alongside with Highgarden.

I find it hard to judge Highgarden since we haven't seen it. But all the art puts it on flat, open ground, so it doesn't look like it's in a very defensible position.

2 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

I do not like Pyke and I think I'd be damned in Harrenhal!

Me too. Pyke seems like it will fall into the sea any day now. And it's cold and damp. Harrenhal is too big and too costly to maintain for me.

3 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

But...but anti-magic barriers! :(

I want my castle with anti-magic barriers to help against the Others.

errr... the same barriers that protected Renly's castellan from Red Mel?

Just now, EggBlue said:

errr... the same barriers that protected Renly's castellan from Red Mel?

She had to get past them with Davos' help. All you need to do is have someone guard the portcullis entrance thing. Which is what I'd do were I in charge. Shadow babies are verboten!

I just feel like it would be useful, if, Seven forbid, the Others get that far.

Just now, Craving Peaches said:

She had to get past them with Davos' help. All you need to do is have someone guard the portcullis entrance thing. Which is what I'd do were I in charge. Shadow babies are verboten!

I just feel like it would be useful, if, Seven forbid, the Others get that far.

yeah well, the real deal wouldn't have the hole Davos could enter from!

17 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

by the way , did anyone ask for castle artworks?

Dragonstone isn't sinister enough, looks like an Elven castle, like Rivendell

And Eyrie is like the place Luke rescues Leia from in Star Wars, whatsitsname. Jabba the Hutt's mansion.

2 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Dragonstone isn't sinister enough, looks like an Elven castle, like Rivendell

And Eyrie is like the place Luke rescues Leia from in Star Wars, whatsitsname. Jabba the Hutt's mansion.

that means you should add new artworks to the collection:smoking:

5 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

It does have anti-magic barriers.

Yeah sure that is also a good thing but it seems like it has to do with it being old, I would put it past the Hightower and Winterfell to have some of those too, in fact come to think of it I wonder if all the structures rumoured to be the work of Bran the Builder have one of those.

I agree. Ever since I watched a traumatizing video about caves I've really gone off all the underground stuff. It could also be vulnerable to being flooded like Castamere.

The thing is I want the castle to be big and strong but not massive like Harrenhal because it would cost too much to maintain.

Yeah I can understand that, but for me it is just the lack of view, and fresh air, if you have a room with a openning on the sea it could still be alrigth I guess.

Actually a castle does not need to be big, quite a few of the castle of Southern France are quite small, but position is everything. So I like my castle on cliff edges, island or inbetween rivers, places were just by being there you are at a advantage.

13 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Worst: The Eyrie. What good is a castle that you can only occupy for half the seasons?

Whaaaaaaaaaat?

Bro the Eyrie is by far my favorite. You can spend actual years up there (seasons work differently, yknow).

You can literally spend a decade up there if you want to. For example, during the last summer.

My only complain is how the mighty Arryns don't spend monei to build out a better way to get up there.

Dragonstone? Well, I liked show Dragonstone, but I'm not sure of books Dragonstone, with its oversized dragons.

Pyke is one exceptionally good one, thou. Maybe 2nd for me.

I would still categorise it as taken, even if it was by treachery. Stannis only took Storm's End by assassinating Ser Courtnay but everyone says that the castle has fallen to him or something.

Do you think Casterly Rock will be taken at any point in the series?

Moat Cailin is only special in that is has never been taken from the South.  That still hasn't occurred.  It's vulnerable to the North.

Archived