MLB 2024: The Reign of Shohei

Myshkin

50 minutes ago, DMC said:

Geeze another rain delay?  Was checking Twitter for updates and saw one insist this was a conspiracy to postpone the game til tomorrow in order to give the Yanks an advantage.  I hope so!

I'd be willing to bet the delay is so Manfred himself can shoot up Judge and Stanton with all the steroids. 

So the game will be played tomorrow at 4.  The Yanks bullpen is getting a rest, which is a bit of an advantage, but...They'll be starting Cortes on 3 days rest - which he's only done once in his career and sucked - while apparently Cleveland isn't starting Bieber - who has never started on 3 days rest - but he'll be available in relief.  I'm..not sure that's an advantage.

8 minutes ago, DMC said:

Cleveland being too stupid to challenge isn't cheating.

No, but in situations like this across sports in the playoffs, when there's only one major market team left, it is in the backs of zebras' minds that everyone is better off if that team wins. It doesn't even have to be entirely conscious. They all know how their bread gets buttered the most. 

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

No, but in situations like this across sports in the playoffs, when there's only one major market team left, it is in the backs of zebras' minds that everyone is better off if that team wins. It doesn't even have to be entirely conscious. They all know how their bread gets buttered the most. 

I hope this isn't serious.  It was a missed call, sure, but if Francona simply challenged it it obviously would have been overturned.  The broadcast/announcers were literally waiting to go to commercial expecting him to challenge it, and he didn't.  That's solely Francona's failure, pure and simple.  And if you actually watched the game the notion the umpires favored the Yankees has no basis.

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

I hope this isn't serious.  It was a missed call, sure, but if Francona simply challenged it it obviously would have been overturned.  The broadcast/announcers were literally waiting to go to commercial expecting him to challenge it, and he didn't.  That's solely Francona's failure, pure and simple.  And if you actually watched the game the notion the umpires favored the Yankees has no basis.

Idk how you can say it's solely on Francona when the umps completely missed the call and everyone expect Terry and his review team saw it.

Anyways, I think it's pretty hard to deny that the umps know what MLB wants and that does impact how they call the game, even if it's in the margins. Hence why it was an open joke across sports media yesterday and today that the fix was in. And to be clear, I wanted the Yankees to win, just like The Fred Man did. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Idk how you can say it's solely on Francona when the umps completely missed the call and everyone expect Terry and his review team saw it.

Because it was an obvious missed call and he had both his challenges.  I suppose you can blame his review team too, but there's absolutely no reason to bring in market-size.  It's not like it was a key play either.  They overturn that (or simply call it correctly to begin with), and there's still a 99.9% chance the Yanks win the game.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Anyways, I think it's pretty hard to deny that the umps know what MLB wants and that does impact how they call the game, even if it's in the margins.

I think it's much more prevalent in the NBA.  But even if you're right generally, again, if you actually watched the game you can't tell me this was an example of that.  It's just petulant whining.