Cricket 44: Abrar-Cadabra

Denvek

4 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Crazy stats, Lord Thakur at his namesake venue hits 3rd consec 50. Only Bradman and Border before him

Anyway King Kohli will save us

It's not an impossible run chase but I think will need a big contribution from Kohli and Rahane.

Kiss of death: I think Aus have a good chance to win an away Ashes series (would be their second this century). 

In favour of Aus:

• Dominant middle order (Marnus/Smith/Head)
  • Experienced, balanced, relentless pace attack
  • Good team balance with the rise of Green
  • Stokes unable to bowl (or unlikely to)

Against Aus:

• History
  • Conditions
  • Jimmy Anderson
  • David Warner
  • Bazball (though this could backfire in this instance - who knows)

Praying to the cricket gods that Moeen comes up trumps in this series. 

A bit of a poor dismissal from Duckett after a good start for England. Ok that’s his area but he’d just got away with basically playing the same shot the ball before.

ETA: Interesting start. Australia have very quickly reverted to a more one day style field with a lot of boundary riders. They’ve done it so quickly you’d think it’s been something they’ve been planning.

Edited by ljkeane

1 hour ago, Raja said:

paxter what have you done

Haha.

Pretty good stuff from Crawley so far, knocking the ball around. Pitch looks flat. Pope did his usual get in, get out trick. 

That wicket on the stroke of lunch turns it from an ok session to a bad one for England given the conditions. I really don't think Australia have played well but a couple of avoidable dismissals from Duckett and Pope have saved them from what could easily have been a really bad start to the Ashes. Bah.

Edited by ljkeane

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

Pretty good fightback there from Joe and Johnny.

Wonder what is a good score on this pitch?

It’s got to be a par score of about 400. You’re not going to see much better batting conditions than this in England.

It was a very good partnership between Root and Bairstow but that’s a good bit of bowling from Lyon. I suspect England won’t be making that par score of 400 now.

ETA: That’s a poor shot from Moeen. I know it’s Bazball and everything but ball spinning away from you that’s very low percentage.

Edited by ljkeane

4 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Can someone explain what the thought process 'might' be behind that declaration? 

They weren't that far away from the new ball. Maybe Stokes didn't back Robinson and Anderson to last long so rather than scratching around trying to get 20 or 30 mores runs better to end on a positive note and, perhaps, pick up a bonus wicket.

I'm with Pax though, I don't think I'd have done it. It's clearly going to be a high scoring match, at least give Root a chance to get you up to 450. Having said that I wouldn't have made a lot of the decisions which have ultimately worked out for England under Stokes.

I've certainly seen worse Ashes starts by England, they've got some runs on the board but if I agree with @ljkeane that it's a little bit below par on that pitch. I think Australia should probably be happy enough with the match situation, although for the rest of the series they might be a bit alarmed by how fast their bowlers conceded runs. If England can cut down on the dismissals then there could be some much bigger totals to come.

It was an excellent innings from Root, while Crawley and Bairstow also looked good.

The second day could be crucial here, England could make early breakthroughs and take a first innings lead but if they let the likes of Smith and Labuschagne get in they could be wishing they had a few more runs.

59 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Can someone explain what the thought process 'might' be behind that declaration? 

They got four overs to bowl at the Australian openers and maybe take a wicket when they're fresh at the crease having fielded all day and therefore at their most vulnerable, and then get a second opportunity tomorrow with an almost-new ball and the bowlers fresh and the batsmen having to start from scratch again.

I understand the rationale behind it, but I think the extra potential runs Root could have scored in another half hour would probably have been more valuable.

I'd be shocked if England can penetrate much on Day 2. Warner could perhaps even score runs on this strip.

But again. My predictive power RE: test cricket is virtually nil or negative. 

Edited by Paxter

13 hours ago, Paxter said:

I'd be shocked if England can penetrate much on Day 2. Warner could perhaps even score runs on this strip.

But again. My predictive power RE: test cricket is virtually nil or negative. 

I don't think Stuart Broad shared your scepticism, dismissing Warner again then the world's number one batsman first ball.