Cricket 44: Abrar-Cadabra

Denvek

England have added Rehan Ahmed to their squad as spinning cover for Moeen. He's certainly a talent with a lot of potential but not exactly a like-for-life replacement for Leach/Moeen.

3 hours ago, Freshwater Spartan said:

Tough loss by West Indies to Zimbabwe. Too nervous down the stretch.

They've still got more opportunities in the qualifying tournament but if they don't make it it is going to be weird having a World Cup without the Windies.

Interesting day in the qualifiers.

Team USA (not surprisingly) lose but in the most lopsided fashioned I've ever seen to Zimbabwe.

It looked like West Indies was going to choke spectacularly in the last over but some how hold on to win by a run. Crazy game.

Edit.... Some kind of call over turned as I walked away. The thing went to Super- over. Of course Netherlands hitting like crazy. Choke is still on.

Double edit. Choke is complete. Damn this game of cricket.   I need to go back to watching baseball.

Edited by Freshwater Spartan

Second Test about to begin in a few hours. 

Will be interesting to see whether Starc or Boland get the nod. The odd thing about Bazball is that it means the Australian bowlers haven't had to get through many overs whereas the English attack had to bowl a lot more. 

Also I wonder if Smith/Labuschagne will bounce back or if this is the start of a general decline for them (Labuschagne hasn't scored much in his last few Tests). A lot has been made of the fact they only made 35 runs in four innings last Test, which is unheard of over the past 4 years. 

Australian batting lineups have generally looked a bit fragile in England over the past 20 years. While Khawaja has picked up the slack so far, and they got away with it last Test, Australia really do need Smith/Labuschagne to score to have any consistent chance of winning.

Starc comes in for Boland. A bit odd given that the wicket looks green and Boland has a bit of a McGrath-esque quality and McGrath reigned supreme at Lords. Anyway, I doubt Starc will do a bad job and there's no doubt he shores up the batting order a bit more pushing Cummins down to 9.

England win the toss and bowl first. Aussies will have some trepidation facing Broad/Anderson on this wicket first up with a bit of life in it due to the dampness. This could be a quickfire first innings for both teams...

And that's actually part of what makes this Test series interesting, I think. Both teams have strong bowling attacks and some question marks in the batting lineups.

2 minutes ago, Jeor said:

Starc comes in for Boland. A bit odd given that the wicket looks green and Boland has a bit of a McGrath-esque quality and McGrath reigned supreme at Lords.

I don't know. I think Australia got it wrong going with both Hazlewood and Boland in the first test. They're both excellent bowlers but their skill of nagging away at a length does somewhat play into England wanting to disrupt things by knocking them off that length. The variety of Starc (and his targeting the stumps) is probably more of an issue for the Bazball gameplan. I think it was always going to be Starc in for someone, it was just a question of who.

England replace Ali with Josh Tongue. He did quite well in the Ireland test but that doesn't feel ideal on a number of fronts.

Yes, I suppose on the variety front Starc does offer more than Boland. I just don't think of Lords as a generally swinging pitch so much as a seamer's paradise. Anyway, it looks like conditions are going to be helpful for bowling whoever it is, and Australia aren't exactly making a bad decision by making a change to get someone like Starc in.

The stop-start first session will be helping England. They need to be careful about managing their bowlers' workload in this series, what with Stokes needing to limit his bowling as an all-rounder, and Broad and Anderson having plenty of mileage in their careers, and no spinner to eat up overs.

Couple of quick wickets by Joe Root has England back in the game but Australia will be very happy with that first day - 339 for 5 with Smith still in. After bowling first that is not what England will have wanted.

Travis Head showing Australia's own version of Bazball. 

I don’t know about England being back in the game. That’s an absolute disaster of a day for England considering they won the toss, even the Root wickets at the end aren’t that encouraging considering England went with four (and a half?) seamers who took 3 wickets between them.

England are definitely behind the 8 ball, but I think Root's wickets have stopped them from losing control entirely. There's still a chance they could come back and bowl Australia out for 400ish, and we saw in the First Test that a first innings score of that size wasn't insurmountable.

A lot will depend on how Australia bowl in the first innings. Batting first is now an advantage for them given they have Lyon in the fold and might get a first innings lead, and England's inability to make use of bowling first may become a growing factor in the match.

Skipping down the pitch to Lyon seem generally ill advised.

Better day for England but not picking a frontline spinner is looking like it’s going to be a problem. Admittedly I might have done the same.

ETA: And now Lyon’s pulled up with what looks a fairly serious injury. That’s a massive blow potentially.

ETA2: Ffs Pope.

ETA3: Ffs England. Root’s got a reprieve off a no ball but Lyon’s just gone down injured. If the Australian quicks want to grind themselves into the ground bowling all short balls just let them.

Edited by ljkeane

Lyon is the biggest difference between the sides. This could be circa 2005...Australia leading 1-0 and looking good, before an injury to a key bowler in the 2nd Test starts to make things interesting!