The Starks' Greatest Feat

Craving Peaches

2 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I found one where Jon and Sansa start doing it next to Daenerys’ corpse.  A few chapters earlier, Jon was pounding into Melisandre like a drill, breaking up concrete.

The ones where there is a page full of tags because Jon just has to do it with every named character never fail to amuse me.

Just now, Craving Peaches said:

I always find it funny when they try and come up with the most flimsy justification for why Jon is in this situation. Like, just accept it for what it is.

Aside from Jon, whose love is pure and true, Sansa usually gets paired with awful male partners (Tywin, Stannis, Baelish, Ramsay, Sandor, Tyrion, Jaime), is frequently raped, and/or is a lesbian (Margaery usually, but sometimes Dany or even Arya).

Just now, Darth Sidious said:

The Stark bannermen are no more loyal than those from the other kingdoms. Greatjon had to be threatened by wolf to support Robb.

I think they were more loyal to Ned than to House Stark specifically. And it's no easy thing for experienced lords to blindly follow an unproven teenager.

9 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I think they were more loyal to Ned than to House Stark specifically. And it's no easy thing for experienced lords to blindly follow an unproven teenager.

I think the dishonorable way that they were done in plays a role in this too.

Edited by Lee-Sensei

20 hours ago, sifth said:

I often get annoyed with GRRM, because every time a Stark does something amazing it’s usually off page, in the main series, or a flashback from long ago.

I agree, sometimes you can even wonder whether they took part to Robert's Rebellion seeing how George had enumerated warring feats from every single rebelling kingdoms but the North.

We know about Jason Mallister (Riverlands) slaying Rhaegar's bannermen at the Trident, we know about Lyn Corbray of the Vale slaying Lewyn Martell, cutting the Dornish lines and we have Robert, the demon of Trident who concluded that war by smashing Rhaegar himself. Nothing about Northmen, not even at the Battle of the Bell which was supposedly Ned's win. Connington slew Denys Arryn, heavily injuried Hoster Tully and almost died by Robert's hands but somehow didn't cross any Northmen.

18 hours ago, Darth Sidious said:

The Stark bannermen are no more loyal than those from the other kingdoms. Greatjon had to be threatened by wolf to support Robb. Roose was never loyal. Barbrey hated the Starks.  

Aside from the fact personal feelings have nothing to do with loyalty (she sent men to support her liege), Barbrey's pretense doesn't even lead to that conclusion. She claimed to hate Ned's personally, nothing about the Starks which she admitted having wanted to be part of.

18 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Perhaps, we will never how the young Ned raised in the Vale was accepted when he called his bannermen to bring down the Targaryens. Overall I more or less agree, the North is a tough area and the new Lord of Winterfell has to prove his worth to his vassals, especially in tough time.

They probably tried to push Robb around to see what kind of steel he was made of and who was leading them at war in the South. I also think (and that's largely debatable) that Robb's "Tully look" might not have helped him to get the instant natural respect that a Stark might gather from his bannerman with the cold look.

4 minutes ago, Kal-L said:

Perhaps, we will never how the young Ned raised in the Vale was accepted when he called his bannermen to bring down the Targaryens. Overall I more or less agree, the North is a tough area and the new Lord of Winterfell has to prove his worth to his vassals, especially in tough time.

They probably tried to push Robb around to see what kind of steel he was made of and who was leading them at war in the South. I also think (and that's largely debatable) that Robb's "Tully look" might not have helped him to get the instant natural respect that a Stark might gather from his bannerman with the cold look.

Ned probably benefited from being both older and more experienced than Robb was at the corresponding point. Robb was 14/15 and had never seen combat; Ned was 19-ish and had already fought at Gulltown and made his way back to the North through questionably friendly territory.

36 minutes ago, Alester Florent said:

Ned probably benefited from being both older and more experienced than Robb was at the corresponding point. Robb was 14/15 and had never seen combat; Ned was 19-ish and had already fought at Gulltown and made his way back to the North through questionably friendly territory.

I agree, Ned being a grown man -unlike Robb- would have definitely played in the difference of treatment. However Ned didn't take part to the Battle of Gulltown, he crossed the Mountains of the Moon to the Fingers and then paid the fisherman to brought him to White Harbor.

21 hours ago, Darth Sidious said:

Barbrey hated the Starks.

She has a reason for it. Ned took her husband on a mission where said husband was killed, and didn't return his body to her even though that's an important custom in the North. Especially since Ned returned his own sister's body to Winterfell.  

Edited by Takiedevushkikakzvezdy