The Starks' Greatest Feat

Craving Peaches

10 minutes ago, Northern Sword said:

The Starks greatest feat was to produce a Targaryen (Jon)

I sure hope you’re being sarcastic here, my friend. Jon may be Rhaegar’s biological son but he’s a Stark through and through. :P

Also, I don’t think he’ll ever take either surname because his is just so fucking perfect:

Jon Snow, King of Winter. ;)

On 1/24/2023 at 3:31 PM, Hugorfonics said:

Not the older one though, nor the crippled son. Nor did they decide this themselves but were cajoled by Stannis 

I recall a mountain clan man sheltering and sharing his food with the crippled son, warning him of wolf hunters on the road.

Stannis had to feast  and honor these men. No cajoling

On 1/24/2023 at 5:55 PM, Hugorfonics said:

Not them specifically, but no I was referring to the older daughter. The one who's actually in prison getting beaten.

Yup, the mountain clans of the North should have marched into KL and steal her out of the Red Keep :rolleyes:

When you look at their links to  the major houses all over the north its no wonder they are well liked

karstark: blood kin nuff said

Flints: 2 major  houses of flint   its said the kings of winter fought flints to gain their submission BUT  the newer house was built on lands secured by the starks waging hard wars vs ironborn over a few  generations!  the fact they bled for that land and allowed the flints to establish a sucessor house on it probably means they are very loyal

Umbers: generaly think these guys have some giant blood in them and the starks its said drove giants from the north that said for loyalty we know the umbers are closest to the wall thus are in the wildling firing line worse than anyone, starks have not only stood beside umbers to fight and sometimes die vs kings beyomd the wall but between sending multiple sons and brandons gift . Theres.no stronger patron of the watch which as the 1st line of defence vs wildlings im sure the umbers appreciated greatly!  That an establishing the karstarks far north too help kerb the raiders from.over the wall probably helps too(that and reminder that rebellion would be vs 2 stark houses)

Maderlys + mormonts : pretty much only exist now due to the starks 

Crannogmen: at least 3 houses beaten down by the kings of winter to vassals, the starks subduing then intermarrying warg kings daughters may have gifted them with the magics needed to counter the bogmens guerrllia tactics (that and their rough and ready northern clansmen) BUT again the crannogmen worship old gods and  follow old.ways that surely would have died out had house stark not broken andals comming north, nor will they think lightly of house starks support of the watch and theyl know much of the dark myth times of house stark vs the others etc

Hornwood: establishing the wolfsden prob did wonders to protect hornwood lands from  seaborne raiders 

Edited by astarkchoice

6 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

I recall a mountain clan man sheltering and sharing his food with the crippled son, warning him of wolf hunters on the road.

Yea that's thing to do, they're just a bunch of kids. 

Stannis had to feast  and honor these men. No cajoling

Looks a lot like cajoling 

Yup, the mountain clans of the North should have marched into KL and steal her out of the Red Keep /cdn-cgi/mirage/9b8924513a7eec1f3ce5525d6c4ab026e10f80e35248004a874149aa801dd563/1280/https://asoiaf.westeros.org/uploads/emoticons/default_rolleyes2.gif

Like, why not? There's a war going on

19 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I sure hope you’re being sarcastic here, my friend. Jon may be Rhaegar’s biological son but he’s a Stark through and through. :P

Also, I don’t think he’ll ever take either surname because his is just so fucking perfect:

Jon Snow, King of Winter. ;)

JK... It was most certainly a tongue in cheek comment.

Just a great way to resolve the absurd Jon Snow is going crazy thread.

All Hail, Jon Snow The King of Winter, Protector of the Realm, Knower of Nothing ;)

On 1/24/2023 at 8:15 AM, King Qhored I Hoare said:

Yes the Boltons are the traditional enemy of the Starks. At the very least the most recent internal one. With the shit that happened between them I’m surprised the Starks didn’t just wipe the family out. Making a cloak out of a Stark’s skin, well any human being’s skin, is cause for it in my opinion.

The Starks were just as bad.  They were sacrificing people and animals to the Weirwoods.  The Starks didn't wipe out the Boltons because they couldn't.  The Boltons also had loyal followers. 

2 minutes ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

The Starks were just as bad.  They were sacrificing people and animals to the Weirwoods.  The Starks didn't wipe out the Boltons because they couldn't.  The Boltons also had loyal followers. 

Everyone in the Old Faith practiced human sacrifice, even families south of the Neck. And no. I’m sorry they weren’t. Taking part in human sacrifice, like everyone else did thousands of years ago isn’t the same as habitually flaying people alive and wearing their skin as cloaks. One is a fucked up religious act and the other is fucking psychotic and sadistic. And who? Tell me who is traditionally loyal to the Boltons? Who would side with them over the Starks? The only northern families who are currently “aligned” with the Boltons are the Dustin’s and Karstarks, and both are very questionable for different reasons.

• 7 months later...
On 1/24/2023 at 11:38 AM, Craving Peaches said:

Now this might just be related to Ned but I think it must have been going on longer than that or the loyalty would not be so ingrained. Ned never struggled with disloyal vassals during Robert's Rebellion, after all.

If anything, this points out to a special loyalty directed to House Stark. When he called his bannermen, Ned was 20-year unknown man who had grown in the Vale far away from the North and who might not even have lived there if not for the Targaryen's acts towards his House. The natural loyalty that the Starks triggered coupled to the Targaryens' multiple crimes against their liege would have been enough to provoke an unanimous fury in the North, and a strong will to have the dragons pay for their crimes.

I suppose that the Starks's greatest feats remains their ability to have kept the andals and their faith out of their lands for so long. The fact they handled Aegon's conquest smoothly enough to have kept a hold on their culture is part of the whole feat. They lost their crown, but they kept the lands, their people and their gods.

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

And here I was, so happy I had almost forgotten that JonSa fans exist…

No fewer than 8,308 works dedicated to this romance.  Second in popularity only to Jaime/Brienne.

Edited by SeanF

8 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

:blink: :uhoh: :eek: :thumbsdown: :stillsick:

4 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

That's just on ao3, I take it?

Yes.  I can understand Martin’s attitude to fanfiction (although a small percentage of fanfiction is very good, for many authors.  Sometimes, even professionals write fanfiction).

If a Jonsa fic includes Dany, you know 90% of the time, she’s the alpha bitch, who’s trying to implement Operation Breakup, between the two lovebirds.

Jaime is usually whitewashed completely, with Brienne.

2 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Yes.  I can understand Martin’s attitude to fanfiction (although a small percentage of fanfiction is very good, for many authors.  Sometimes, even professionals write fanfiction).

If a Jonsa fic includes Dany, you know 90% of the time, she’s the alpha bitch, who’s trying to implement Operation Breakup, between the two lovebirds.

Jaime is usually whitewashed completely, with Brienne.

Another stupid idea I've seen (which may actually come from the other medium) is 'the Rebellion was built on a lie'. No, the rebellion started because King Psycho tried to behead two innocents after some perversion of a trial. And of course, Lyanna loves Rhaegar and the Targaryens even though they roasted her brother and father etc.

2 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Another stupid idea I've seen (which may actually come from the other medium) is 'the Rebellion was built on a lie'. No, the rebellion started because King Psycho tried to behead two innocents after some perversion of a trial. And of course, Lyanna loves Rhaegar and the Targaryens even though they roasted her brother and father etc.

I think the idea made it’s way into some awful fanfic that appeared on TV a few years ago.

35 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

So many amateur authors appear to be contestants for the Bad Sex Award.

Characters end up doing things that are physically impossible, or else would be extremely painful, or else the descriptions are hilariously bad (Sansa’s “lavender labia” is one I won’t forget in a hurry).

2 minutes ago, SeanF said:

So many amateur authors appear to be contestants for the Bad Sex Award.

Characters end up doing things that are physically impossible, or else would be extremely painful, or else the descriptions are hilariously bad (Sansa’s “lavender labia” is one I won’t forget in a hurry).

I found one where Jon and Danny start doing it while riding Drogon as Drogon is burning down King's Landing.

6 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

I found one where Jon and Danny start doing it while riding Drogon as Drogon is burning down King's Landing.

I found one where Jon and Sansa start doing it next to Daenerys’ corpse.  A few chapters earlier, Jon was pounding into Melisandre like a drill, breaking up concrete.

Edited by SeanF