Is Beric still alive?

KingStoneheart

There's honestly nothing to back this up, no suggestion (like the Hound) that Beric is still alive, however we as the reader did not see him die. We were just informed from Thoros that Beric died and let's be honest, the POV was Brienne who'd never met him before (I don't think?). Not that I think if he was still alive he would be with the BWB right now but I do think it would be cool if he was still alive.

Considering he's come back 5/6 times, he obviously has a purpose to the story and if he just gave his final life to bring Cat back, she must have a pretty important role to play?

If he is still alive, I would like to think that he's been sent off on a secret mission where it works better that he is "dead" - possibly to rescue "Arya" or Jeyne Westerling+child along with the Blackfish

I for one love Brynden Tully and Beric, so a team-up from them would be great

He’s dead. He’s been dead for a while, since his post-reanimation life is not really the same as being alive. His purpose in the story it to set up that sometimes characters can be brought back from death, that this doesn’t mean these characters are alive in the strict sense of the word, that this reanimation process costs something to these characters, and that each time they’re brought back something of themselves is lost. And yes, I think LSH will have an important role in the near future. 

Every single dead, in Dondarion's case what is it? 8 times dead character in the books can't be still lingering about.  If you must have Beric alive why not take the incarnate approach in Lady Stoneheart?  It was the Lightning Lord's kiss that reanimated her.  For all we know if she tosses that crown she twirls it might burst into flame as his sword did.  If she has any blood left in her to spark it, that is.    

12 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Every single dead, in Dondarion's case what is it? 8 times dead character in the books can't be still lingering about.  If you must have Beric alive why not take the incarnate approach in Lady Stoneheart?  It was the Lightning Lord's kiss that reanimated her.  For all we know if she tosses that crown she twirls it might burst into flame as his sword did.  If she has any blood left in her to spark it, that is.    

I wonder if Fire Wights transfer their memory like Reverend Mothers does, or knowing Martin, do spice orgies happen?

Given that GRRM has used the limited POV format to have some fake-out deaths already, I guess it's worth asking the question about Beric. But you yourself admit that there's really no evidence to suggest that he is still alive, beyond the fact that we didn't see it happen.

What purpose did Beric serve? I think he has already served multiple purposes. As a living myth, he inspired the people of the Riverlands, and provided readers some of the most heartening content in a pretty damn bleak series. As a sentient fire-animated wight, he gave us some insight into the nature of fire magic and resurrection, which may be relevant in the future (for instance, as a point of comparison to Jon Snow). 

Beric's progressively diminishing self with every resurrection served a plot function that culminated in the rise of Lady Stoneheart: who was raised after several days of putrefaction. If early Beric represented a dream of justice, LSH represents the dream turned rotten and sour. Justice has turned into vengeance. 

Given this new phase of the Riverlands plot, I don't think there is need of Beric in the story anymore. I've been surprised before, but I'd have to see more evidence that such a turn was being seeded before giving it more thought.

33 minutes ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

Given that GRRM has used the limited POV format to have some fake-out deaths already, I guess it's worth asking the question about Beric. But you yourself admit that there's really no evidence to suggest that he is still alive, beyond the fact that we didn't see it happen.

What purpose did Beric serve? I think he has already served multiple purposes. As a living myth, he inspired the people of the Riverlands, and provided readers some of the most heartening content in a pretty damn bleak series. As a sentient fire-animated wight, he gave us some insight into the nature of fire magic and resurrection, which may be relevant in the future (for instance, as a point of comparison to Jon Snow). 

Beric's progressively diminishing self with every resurrection served a plot function that culminated in the rise of Lady Stoneheart: who was raised after several days of putrefaction. If early Beric represented a dream of justice, LSH represents the dream turned rotten and sour. Justice has turned into vengeance. 

Given this new phase of the Riverlands plot, I don't think there is need of Beric in the story anymore. I've been surprised before, but I'd have to see more evidence that such a turn was being seeded before giving it more thought.

That bolded bit is very nice.  I never thought Jon was dead, but I like this should he happen to be.  Those last thoughts amplified in his reanimation.  Get every where.  Kick ass. Ah I like it. 

Conversely, I should like to see LSH die a few times to calm her down a bit.  Gads she is such a nasty and unreasonable piece of work.  Beric was a much nicer zombie.   

3 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

That bolded bit is very nice.  I never thought Jon was dead, but I like this should he happen to be.  Those last thoughts amplified in his reanimation.  Get every where.  Kick ass. Ah I like it. 

Conversely, I should like to see LSH die a few times to calm her down a bit.  Gads she is such a nasty and unreasonable piece of work.  Beric was a much nicer zombie.   

Jon dying is terrible in the way more secret identities are terrible. We already have enough secret identities to result in theories such as leaf secretly being Tyrion etc. more resurrections would be even worse, bringing up theories if this long since dead person or that will reanimate. Jon's cliffhanger is also terrible because likes of it too has been used too many times. Stannis losing his entire army then finding thousands of more troops which somehow were not with Robb, Tyrion getting axed to the face but surviving etc. For someone who claims not to like tropes, GRRM really uses them too much. Oh and don't even get me on Aragorn's tax policy, as if Dany has established a proper economy. 

59 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Jon dying is terrible in the way more secret identities are terrible. We already have enough secret identities to result in theories such as leaf secretly being Tyrion etc. more resurrections would be even worse, bringing up theories if this long since dead person or that will reanimate. Jon's cliffhanger is also terrible because likes of it too has been used too many times. Stannis losing his entire army then finding thousands of more troops which somehow were not with Robb, Tyrion getting axed to the face but surviving etc. For someone who claims not to like tropes, GRRM really uses them too much. Oh and don't even get me on Aragorn's tax policy, as if Dany has established a proper economy. 

While I agree with absolutely everything you've said it's still a fantasy tale written by an amazingly talented writer.  It's been so long now I don't care if Jon is dead or not.  Sure I have my own ideas and hopes, but I don't matter, do I?  Outside of too long and numerous food descriptions I have no complaints.  Of course, perhaps that isn't even a complaint as I find turnips have become a staple of my fall and winter diet.  Damn.  I suppose that in this long waiting I am simply up for more story now, come what may.  

1 minute ago, Curled Finger said:

Sure I have my own ideas and hopes, but I don't matter, do I? 

What we think, what theories fans write, what ideas and hopes we hold in our hearts about this story matter to us as individuals and fans.  While our ideas are divergent in every way possible, being trolled or having a thread hijacked, can be upsetting.  This conversation has been enlightening for me and I'm glad to have read it.  Being open to the ideas and insights can really be fun and rewarding, as is seeing ideas and discussions change over time.  

There are times when reading some of the really good discussions and posts here, whether current or past ideas, I reflect on how much I've gained from this forum.  Do you matter @Curled Finger?  Of course you do.

43 minutes ago, LongRider said:

What we think, what theories fans write, what ideas and hopes we hold in our hearts about this story matter to us as individuals and fans.  While our ideas are divergent in every way possible, being trolled or having a thread hijacked, can be upsetting.  This conversation has been enlightening for me and I'm glad to have read it.  Being open to the ideas and insights can really be fun and rewarding, as is seeing ideas and discussions change over time.  

There are times when reading some of the really good discussions and posts here, whether current or past ideas, I reflect on how much I've gained from this forum.  Do you matter @Curled Finger?  Of course you do.

Ahh WOW, LR!  That was very kind!  As you are.  I meant to the writer.  What I want or hope doesn't matter to him.  Despite myself I trust him to pull even something as far fetched as Jon being dead and resurrected off very well.  I wanted to join a discussion group for another series once, but the discussion was lame so I didn't.  I stay here because it is usually quite interesting and diverse and I do enjoy @Corvo the Crow trying to rile me up a bit.  He is fun you have to give him that! 

Again, you are kind, Lady.  The forum is a better place for you being here.    

4 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Jon is Stannis' man boy version of the last hero?  

Have I opened such a topic? I don't even remember :D

But from what we read, you can compare  Stannis to an older Jon who's suffered much frustration and embittered over the decades. Stannis was gentle and kind in nature, treating that wounded bird for example. Dutiful and honor bound to the point of having trouble between a choice of his king and his family. 

21 hours ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

What purpose did Beric serve? I think he has already served multiple purposes. As a living myth, he inspired the people of the Riverlands, and provided readers some of the most heartening content in a pretty damn bleak series. As a sentient fire-animated wight, he gave us some insight into the nature of fire magic and resurrection, which may be relevant in the future. 

I agree with all of this.  Beric passed the gift of fire on to unCat

A Feast for Crows - Brienne VIII

Her face, Brienne thought. Her face was so strong and handsome, her skin so smooth and soft. "Lady Catelyn?" Tears filled her eyes. "They said . . . they said that you were dead."
"She is," said Thoros of Myr. "The Freys slashed her throat from ear to ear. When we found her by the river she was three days dead. Harwin begged me to give her the kiss of life, but it had been too long. I would not do it, so Lord Beric put his lips to hers instead, and the flame of life passed from him to her. And . . . she rose. May the Lord of Light protect us. She rose."

There is no sign or mention of Beric.  LSH is now the boss.  "The flame of life passed from him" is poetic and vague but seems  to say he sacrificed himself and transferred whatever "flame" of life he had to her.

LSH is much darker but fortunately there is an exemplary knight somewhere in the neighbourhood who always tries to do the right thing yet lacks a real purpose and who would make a suitable replacement for Beric.  I can hope, right? :)

Archived