Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse - Why haven't you seen this yet?

Raja

On 11/6/2023 at 8:03 PM, IheartIheartTesla said:

Finally watched this since it dropped on Netflix. Visually stunning, and I'm here for wherever the story takes us in Volume 3. Not sure why the Inspector Singh canon event had to occur in Mumbai of all places, but that was a cool extended sequence as well. At any rate, feel like there is going to be some tragedy happening at the end of it all....just not sure what.

It's not Mumbai, it's Mumbatten.   I assume it's a reality where Indians colonized the Americas.

14 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

It's not Mumbai, it's Mumbatten.   I assume it's a reality where Indians colonized the Americas.

yeah, it's weird. The character originally appeared in actual Mumbai, and they changed it to Mumbattan for the movie. Never was in a comic. Also apparently they used one of the oldest martial arts in existence (Kalaripayattu) as the origin for how he moves and attacks. 

Ah I didn't catch that it was 'colonized' Manhattan (makes sense since the Spidey story is quintessentially New York), but still the Mumbai nod if you will was cool.

Kalaripayattu is a south Indian (Kerala) martial art so the connection seems a bit of a stretch with a dude named Pavitra Prabhakar, but I suppose its another nod that can be appreciated for what it is.

Ugh man, no Indian teen I've meet across the length and breadth of this country (being one, met a lot of em) looks and dresses that way unless he's a crackhead. And what's with the gender fluid naming frenzy these days. And it's always the immigrants who love to point out the idiosyncrasies of the "brown" family back home. We've more than that, stop milking it further, the teat is bleeding.

4 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

Ugh man, no Indian teen I've meet across the length and breadth of this country (being one, met a lot of em) looks and dresses that way unless he's a crackhead. And what's with the gender fluid naming frenzy these days. And it's always the immigrants who love to point out the idiosyncrasies of the "brown" family back home. We've more than that, stop milking it further, the teat is bleeding.

I mean it’s an alternate universe so dressing styles can be different, the actual Mumbai is quite a filthy,slum ridden shit hole in comparison.

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

6 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I mean it’s an alternate universe so dressing styles can be different, the actual Mumbai is quite a filthy,slum ridden shit hole in comparison.

In the comics I understand he is supposed to a 'country boy' from the village who dresses in a dhoti and is made fun of by his more cosmopolitan and urbane classmates in Mumbai. Thats how they connect it to the origin story of Parker who is from a decidedly middle class family amongst richer classmates.